Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs you always wanted to play, but couldn't get them to run (Instructions welcome)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
1. Llygamyn Saga PC version

Great Wiz 1 remaster from japan 1995. Pc version has the cool segmented UI and I like how abstracted it is

134425-wizardry-llylgamyn-saga-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

134429-wizardry-llylgamyn-saga-windows-screenshot-in-a-fight.png

134426-wizardry-llylgamyn-saga-windows-screenshot-in-town-with-default.png

2. Perihelion

Polish AMIGA crawler with a great direction and setting (mars?)

perihelion_2.png

perihelion_1.png

5f74d995ac62b.jpg

3. Pathways into Darkness

Mac Shooter/RPG hybrid with unique setting, 1993

91QCvm2GEiL.jpg

pathways-into-darkness_6.png

pathways-into-darkness_2.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Do you really need someone to walk you through how to start up an Amiga emulator? I'm pretty sure there are a ton of good tutorials around and I wasn't aware that Perihelion was all that difficult.
Mac Shooter/RPG hybrid with unique setting, 1993
For Macintosh games, you want to find some ROMs for the system (somewhere on the internet, I'm not helping you with that) and a pre-installed harddrive image from here. I finished the game in Basilisk 2 with the hard disk image 76 from one of those files.
Has anyone actually managed to run (and play through) Blind Justice?
If you speak Russian, you can ask here. If you don't, you can try anyway, some people there speak English and they don't mind foreigners too much. Supposedly it works in DOSbox 73-3. That all said I just tried their version and their fix in a recent version of DOSbox-X and it didn't work. Its a shame, since I remember trying the game years ago and not making any kind of progress. I wonder if trying it in a Windows 98 or XP emulator would work, because I remember reaching the game itself at one point that way. Maybe its a WarWizard situation and some weird config issue is going on?
EDIT:
Has anyone ever gotten this (link to Codex post because I can't link the Twitter link) running? I've tried it through WINE, I've tried in a Win98 emulator, and neither worked.

Last edited:

Metronome

Learned
I can't seem to get Gothic 3 to run on any computer. Maybe the disk is just shitty.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, for Perihelion you can try the Amiga Dungeoneering Collection that includes a lot of other RPGs as well:

https://www.indieretronews.com/2013/10/amiga-dungeoneering-collection-over-60.html

They're basically gamepacks with a pre-configured Amiga emulator included, just run install.exe or something (I haven't used it myself).

Of course, the *real* way to do it is to spend two weeks learning about the Amiga and setting them up in WinUAE yourself :M

Falksi

Arcane
Obviously an adventure game not an RPG, but I've tried numerous times over the years to play Grim Fandango on numerous systems and via numerous formats too, and I'm still yet to play it.

Each time held it's own issue, and I've given up even trying now. It's been in my Steam library for years, and each time I get a new PC I give it a try and hope for the best.

Have you tried the 2015 remastered version? If not, you could give ResidualVM a try (it's an interpreter like SCUMMVM, but works with 3d Lucasarts games like Grim Fandango and Escape from MI). just use SCUMMVM.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Has anyone ever gotten this (link to Codex post because I can't link the Twitter link) running? I've tried it through WINE, I've tried in a Win98 emulator, and neither worked.
Runs on win10.
Go to executable (NOT installer but the one called bm.exe) > Right click, Properties > Compatibility mode: win98 | Reduced color mode: 8 bit (256)

Janky piece of shit. Actions are made in an insufferably cumbersome tick-based sequence. Even if it were full RT or TB, it'd still be annoying because every time your characters do something or get shot at, they make an inane comment that you have to close manually. Couldn't stand it for more than 5'.

Worth pointing out if you decide to try it, you advance menus with the right click

Oops, accidentally killed a civilian.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Runs on win10.
Go to executable (NOT installer but the one called bm.exe) > Right click, Properties > Compatibility mode: win98 | Reduced color mode: 8 bit (256)

Janky piece of shit. Actions are made in an insufferably cumbersome tick-based sequence. Even if it were full RT or TB, it'd still be annoying because every time your characters do something or get shot at, they make an inane comment that you have to close manually. Couldn't stand it for more than 5'.

Worth pointing out if you decide to try it, you advance menus with the right click

Oops, accidentally killed a civilian.

That's a beautiful game! What is the name/system?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Also, check out this thread if you want more awesome-looking games Lord_Potato
The Japanese were miles ahead in terms of aesthetics during the early days of computing. Enjoy the screenshots and call it a day, the game part on itself is shit more often than not.

Krivol

Magister
Obviously an adventure game not an RPG, but I've tried numerous times over the years to play Grim Fandango on numerous systems and via numerous formats too, and I'm still yet to play it.

Each time held it's own issue, and I've given up even trying now. It's been in my Steam library for years, and each time I get a new PC I give it a try and hope for the best.
IIRC I was able to play and finish gog version of this game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

IIRC I was able to play and finish gog version of this game.
Yeah, there is the recently released Grim Fandango remastered edition that is made to play on all newer macines.

Also, if you have the original discs, I'm pretty sure the old game can be played with scummvm.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I could never get M&M 4-5 (World of Xeen) to run satisfactorily under DOSBox (annoying micro-freezes, laggy mouse, etc) until ScummVM came along and saved the day. Now it runs perfectly.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I could never get M&M 4-5 (World of Xeen) to run satisfactorily under DOSBox (annoying micro-freezes, laggy mouse, etc) until ScummVM came along and saved the day. Now it runs perfectly.

Yeah the DOS version is quite broken, it's impossible to get the MT-32 sound working, it always causes random crashes after a few minutes. Another prestigious way is to use the Mac version (e.g. check this LP out).

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
If you seriously want to play this...here.
Runs on win10.
Oh...fuck, for once having Linux does me dirty. :negative:
Though by the way you describe it, it does sound rather annoying to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom