Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: ELEX 3 cancelled, Piranha Bytes to be shut down by THQ Nordic

Deadyawn

Learned
It's sad, really.

Gothic was my first RPG and Gothic 2 is one of my favorite games ever. For 3D third-person action RPGs, they still have a commitment to immersive design that in my view tramples any accusation of them being "casual". Both are downright perfect for the experience they wanted to deliver. Risen 1 is overall faithful to the formula and has the best combat in any PB game. Elex is uneven, but the world is cool to explore and took leaps in the right direction after Risen 3. The rest have their moments but are pretty shit overall.

RIP Piranha Bytes :salute:

thesecret1

Arcane
There are rumors doing the rounds today about ELEX 3 being cancelled and PB on the verge of shutting down.
Nothing of value would be lost, honestly. Few studios have gotten so many chances to repeat their old success, and they blew all of them (even Risen 1 only got close, but failed to surpass or even rival either Gothic). Then Archolos came out and showed that the issue isn't the game's premise, the issue isn't the market, the issue isn't the tech, the issue is them.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Mogged so hard by modders it's over for germcellz

over.png

over-2.png

notpl

Arbiter
There are rumors doing the rounds today about ELEX 3 being cancelled and PB on the verge of shutting down.
Nothing of value would be lost, honestly. Few studios have gotten so many chances to repeat their old success, and they blew all of them (even Risen 1 only got close, but failed to surpass or even rival either Gothic). Then Archolos came out and showed that the issue isn't the game's premise, the issue isn't the market, the issue isn't the tech, the issue is them.
Complete, unfettered truth. I haven't seen anything to suggest anyone at Piranha Bytes has any skill at making video games - or passion for doing so - in years. No loss whatsoever.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
They should let them finish and release Gothic on islands Cyber-Gothic ELEX 3.

Then shut them down.

BruceVC

Magister
I still have no clue about the ELEX games since literally every single post ever written about it on the Codex was either drowned in olympic amounts of irony or by people who have never played it - or both.
ELEX 1 is very good. Don't know why people hate on it, the usual reasons given seem retarded. Great dreamy exploration made even better by the rocket jump, lots of verticality, no level-based area division which plagues almost all RPGs, loot-based incentives to explore, no hand-holding, etc. The plot is neutral, but Gothic isn't known for great plots and dialogues, this aspect was much more about the general atmosphere and reactivity rather than some clever characters and inventive factions (it's usually a religious faction, a chaotic faction, and a lawful faction).
Agreed. ELEX1 is in my list of top 10 RPG of all time. Gothic 2 is the only PB game overall better than that

scytheavatar

Scholar
I missed that this forum already had an ongoing thread about the rumor (and they are basically confirming it in the most recent posts):

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...s-to-be-shut-down-by-thq-nordic.149371/page-3

What surprises me in hindsight is how PB never managed to capitalize on their initial mild successes.
You have studios like CDPR or Larian (or to a lesser extent Spider, Deck 13, InXile and so on) that as soon as "nailed" one decent hit started to ramp up their investment, raise production value, polish their style, etc...

And then you have PB who tried (and mostly failed) to replicate their most beloved hit for 20 years and kept falling more and more behind the curve as the industry advanced.

PB already tried to go big with Gothic 3 and that led to them landing face first on the floor. They are like the opposite of Larian, while Larian is in sync with their audience and eager to please them, PB constantly shits on their audience and makes games for themselves. Larian and CDPR understands the importance of polish while PB never wants to fix the eurojank in them.

Björn once mentioned he would rather shut down the studio than expand the staff and change engine. And now he got his wish.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Yeah, all but confirmed.

German journous knew about this since November but kept it under covers to avoid creating a shit storm for PB employees while they went through the process of getting sacked. Also kinda refreshing listening to actual journalistic work in gaming, lol. Definitely a rarity.

Also interesting to hear that there were creative differences between Björn and the rest of the team. While PB wanted to return to Gothic, Björn kept sinking time and money into Elex. The studio definitely suffered immensely under his leadership and the silver lining is that if somebody picks up PB, Björn won't be a part of the team.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
good riddance

I still have no clue about the ELEX games since literally every single post ever written about it on the Codex was either drowned in olympic amounts of irony or by people who have never played it - or both.
ELEX 1 is very good. Don't know why people hate on it, the usual reasons given seem retarded. Great dreamy exploration

yes, great dreamy exploration hiding such wondrous secrets as “Hose x1” or “Broom”

Humanophage said:
loot-based incentives to explore

oooooohhihihihahahohohohohaaaaaaaa

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't imagine the world without Pirania Bytes existing in it :(
What happened to the team that made Archolos?
Mostly, got hired by various gaming/IT companies. Some of the team keep making the 'enhanced edition' or whatever it's gonna be called, but not 'full time' like before but slowly as a hobby.

They always said it's a one-off project and they are not going to create more modifications together.

They spent a lot of time, effort and money on Archolos, and obviously you've gotta work and take care of family, so doing another mod was impossible for them.

REhorror

Educated
I can't imagine the world without Pirania Bytes existing in it :(
What happened to the team that made Archolos?
Mostly, got hired by various gaming/IT companies. Some of the team keep making the 'enhanced edition' or whatever it's gonna be called, but not 'full time' like before but slowly as a hobby.

They always said it's a one-off project and they are not going to create more modifications together.

They spent a lot of time, effort and money on Archolos, and obviously you've gotta work and take care of family, so doing another mod was impossible for them.
Terrible man, just like the Enderal team.

I feel the industry just destroys promising new blood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom