Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Running Dragon Age: Inquisition below minimum specs

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am creating a separate thread to ask about this, because many people avoid the megathread (as they should), and I could really use an answer.

Has anyone tried running Dragon Age: Inquisition below minimal specs? Mostly I mean system RAM. I want to gift this to a couple of friends for Christmas (yeah I know, but they requested it) and their PC only has 3 GBs of RAM (minimal specs list 4 GBs).

CPU: AMD quad core CPU @ 2.5 GHz / Intel quad core CPU @ 2.0 GHz
System RAM: 4 GB
Graphics CARD: AMD Radeon HD 4870 / NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Graphics Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive: 26 GB

Sprout

Educated
I guess there's a chance that one could run it below minimum ram, but common sense dictates that you would have problems. Crashing probably, when the thing runs out of memory.

dominicchessman

Barely Literate
You can run at below minimum specs for the processor. I have an AMD A10 running at 2.3Ghz, and the game runs very well with most settings on low. But my laptop beats all the other minimum specs handily.

Bear in mind that a slow cpu or gpu can make the game laggy, glichty, or slow, since it will take too long to process commands.
But with too little system ram, or memory dedicated to your gpu, you won't have enough space to load the textures and meshes, and the game will never be able to load.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks. I have read reports that it does not start with a less than 4-threaded (4-core or 2-core + hyper threading) CPU. Hopefully that is the only 'hard lock', but it would be nice to get a confirmation before I blow $40 on this and they are forced to shelve it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I don't recommend it at all.
This game's controls is already bad enough.
Putting them in a fps slideslow is probably going to add a lot more agony when the combat starts.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Not an option, due to various reasons.
TotalBiscuit's PC port report seems to suggest that trying to run this on 3 GB of RAM is not a good idea (his diagnostic tool reports 8GB RAM usage in the starting menu).
That'd be his entire PC's RAM though, running video capture and who knows what else. I have 6GB of RAM but rarely notice even the newest games using over 1-1.5GB. If it is really resource intensive you may have to close everything else first.

Then again, RAM's pretty cheap.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Nah, it would mean buying them a 2GB stick (to replace a 1GB one - their shitty motheboard only has two memory slots, DDR2 too), which costs around $15. With $45 for the game alone, this would go beyond my already stretched budget.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I managed to run Wasteland 2, which also requires 4 GB, on my 3GB RAM laptop and played it for a while. Needless to say, every setting was on low, framerate was a joke, and muh laptop still heated like a bitch. I was afraid it'll blow up or something, so I moved to my dusty PC instead.

Just don't do it, save your pals some nerves and frustration.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Wasteland 2 requires 3 GB? It ran on my 2 GB shit laptop. Though of course framerate was snail-like, loading times were long and all settings were off or low. Probably would have started crashing later in the game. But not a pleasant experience, so I shelved the game until I can get a better PC.

Meaning that you probably shouldn't get it for them. Once the hype cools down, they might realize they don't even want a turd like that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It ran really well on my machine despite me being down near the bottom of the requirements. However the one issue I did have was things popping in and some stutter when moving between zones and loading new assets. I would guess that is a RAM issue, and since I had 4GB I would be wary of playing with less. Perhaps on lowest world detail though it would be fine.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
In case someone wants to know how this ended (nobody does), I have shown my friends some of RK47 's videos, which convinced them they do not want this game after all, so i bought them Alien: Isolation instead. Thanks, RK47. :salute:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Glad to help. Now buy me kfc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom