Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    The hunting was the worst part for the platinum trophy. When I was done I was glad it was over.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Hunting starts out difficult, but by the end of it, you will have committed mass murder on animal life in general, but bears in particular.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nirvash Savant

Nirvash
    Hunting was awesome, what are you, a... VEGAN?

But look at the virgin kiryu and the idol duck

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I liked the hunting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. quixotic Educated

quixotic
    Same, it was barebones but relaxing.
    The only thing I didn’t like about it was when animals spawned right behind me a handful of times, nearly shit my pants when it happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Try three bears at once. Rifle butted them to death because I got mad.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I am now no. 1 in the management mini-game. Gunning for the 10 billion yen trophy, but it's grindy. I'm making around 200 million yen per business day. This will take some time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Rean Ask me about Sen no Kiseki Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Ah, right, sorry. I didn't really have a problem with it. Thought it made for a nice change of pace and new challenges. It was obvious it was also going to connect to the main story somehow, so I was fine with putting up with all the frustrating characters, too.

I agree, it was long-winded and being unable to save for the first 2-3 hours made it quite annoying. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the chapter, though.

^ Top  
  9. TheImplodingVoice Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

TheImplodingVoice
    I also liked the little snowy mountain village. Especially how quiet it is. But going for the platinum not once but twice(PS3 and PS4) was such a slog. But the 60FPS made it a bit easier in some instances on PS4. Where with Yakuza 3 and 4 then 60FPS made some things for the platinums more difficult. I wish Dead Souls got a remaster as well. Recently played through it again on PS3 and it's bat shit crazy over the top fun

^ Top  
  10. Rean Ask me about Sen no Kiseki Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Bros {drunken thoughts}, I'm having a lot of fun with Like a Dragon (aside from having to go through the whole Sotenbori arena to level up enough to beat my favorite character).
    I just wanted to relay how good playing the game feels. Whoever is responsible for directing this game has done a really good job, better than all the games before it, even. It's not just the extravagance of it all, love to attention oozes out of every pore of the game. I expected something bad, glad to see I was wrong. I'm just sad about things plot-wise past chapter 12, but eager to see where it all ends up. Definitely don't want an end to our favorite criminal organization.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. cruel Arbiter

cruel
    Finished Like a Dragon few days ago. Fun game, everybody who likes JRPG should play it, very interesting take on JRPG in modern city and quite unique experience. Still, I can't stop feeling that the game could have been so much better with some different design decisions. 8/10 overall.

My main complaint: combat, while fun, gets boring pretty quickly. It is missing 'something', and it's hard for me to define this something. Clearly enemy variety is a problem, as the mobs don't differ that much between each other, and at some point it becomes just 'oh man, another yakuza to beat'. Second, the game never really surprises you (with regards to combat), after the initial hours. Maybe some kind of weakness system would help, more randomness, maybe enemies being able to attack from behind, more ambushes, more deadly status effects, etc. At some point I found myself just avoiding encounters, because had enough of them.

Second complaint - difficulty. Come on. It took me 80h to beat the game, playing slowly, and there were only 3 cases when any difficulty was present:
    - wandering to high-level area early on (Hamakita Park)
    - boss in chapter 12 (although much easier than I expected)
    - final boss
    That's it. And this is not something budget-related, could be fixed easily bo some kind of 'bonfire aesthetic' equivalent (harder enemies for more exp / rewards). Or just some creative / hard optional fights. If you dip your characters into other classes, and make sure that highest-agility character has 'shield blast' from enforcer class, 90%+ of random encounters are finished in 30s or so.

Third - plot is a mess. I didn't really like the plot development starting in chapter 6, some of the stuff was just stupid, not believable. Examples in spoilers:

Show Spoiler

- chapter 6: a mysterious / secretive organization just INVITES a bunch of random people to share all their secrets, which are the fundament of city financial stability :| Come on.
    - Nanba actions after chapter 6: he is not dumb and knew what the consequences may be, not believable looking at his character
    - chapter 13 (coin locker surprise): two babies put in a coin locker in same place, on same night. Yeah right.
    - Arakawa going alone in the middle of the night, right after he made the decision that clearly made a lot of people pissed at him
    - Ryo Aoki: were they really not able to find dirt on him (his past) earlier?

But, so many thins were done right (characters, uniqueness, humor, sidequests, etc.), that I had enough fun to enjoy the experience. Probably will buy a sequel day 1, hoping they will fix some of the issues.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    I dunno bros
    Show Spoiler
    The bit where a chicken can successfully negotiate with shareholders hits too close to home.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rean Ask me about Sen no Kiseki Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    I'm on the final chapter. It's gone too fast:(

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I'm having deja vu here...

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG].

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nirvash Savant

Nirvash
    Well, gonna play 7 after i finish TROUBLESHOOTER and dq11

In the meantime...

Duck started kiwami 2

• Friendly x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Rean Ask me about Sen no Kiseki Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    New week, new drink, time to finish Like a Dragon for me.

Just met the (tranny :lol:) mama from Earth Angel again, that's a throwback.
    Also realized how much I prefer Ijincho over Kamurocho!!!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    I'm now at chapter 12. No spoilers, please. 70 hours played. I would probably be done now, if it wasn't for all the side stuff that I have been doing. Good times. I still intend to do more side stuff. I haven't even touched golf or the batting center. 120 hours is what I expect to spend on the game.

After this, I will probably do Yakuza 6, in backlog since day one. After that, FotNs, and then the two Judgment games, but first a break.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nirvash Savant

Nirvash
    Well, is over, all the dignity of yakuza is soon to be lost.

Nenechi started kiwami.

See, majima is best girl.

Who is nenechi?

My god... haruka.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The end of Chapter 12 is my favorite part of the game. The song 'Comeback' is the best. I'm not sure if Comeback is the official name of the song, but it's part of the chorus and put a smile on my face. You are in for a treat.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. karoliner Arcane Vatnik

karoliner
    https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/net...ed-by-yakuza-series-creator-toshihiro-nagoshi

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    They poached quite a few people.

My guess is that their game will have online functionality of some sort. Maybe it will even be online focused. We'll see.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    About to begin my Kiwami 2 playthrough for the first time (only did the intro just to verify the game runs acceptably), and something Modron said got me thinking: he was commenting that the combat in Kiwami 2 was a big step down from 0 and Kiwami 1, and that he was forced to use the same tactics/moves over and over again, ad nauseum, just to be able to get through encounters, and I ended up finding this:

The video isn't about the game's performance or "cinematic feel" at all, the reason he says 30fps is better for Kiwami 2 is because apparently the game's combat is completely broken at 60fps. Enemy AI functions twice as fast as intended so stun duration is halved or more, AI blocks twice as fast and twice as often, skips actions or goes through them too fast, and most importantly... the input queue buffer/input leniency is halved (or more) and makes combo'ing impossible or almost impossible.

Some comments from Kiwami 2 players:

And this comment mirrors what I heard from others:
    Oh, also the mini-games are broken on 60fps as well. There is a patch that fixes the mini-games for 60fps but it doesn't fix the combat/A.I. issues.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    I just lost a certain battle against two bros in chapter 12 (Like A Dragon). I forgot that it's game over when Kasuga gets KO'd. Restarting cost me 17 million yen. :lol:

Other than that, so far chapter 12...
    :excellent:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. karoliner Arcane Vatnik

karoliner
    I actually suggest to skip Kiwami 2. It's not just that the combat is a downgrade but the story just isn't as interesting. And it was like this in the original PS2 game too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rean Ask me about Sen no Kiseki Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yes, there are a few specific boss bottles in the game that are nigh unbeatable if you're underleveled. Other than those, the game is piss easy battle-wise, but the series has always had balance problems. :P
    For that specific one you mention, you're supposed to beat the nearby arena to get some levels at minimum. Took me about an hour to do so I believe? It's worth it, you get to fight some interesting enemies.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.