Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
playing Judgement further, I gotta say, this is exactly what the doc ordered. I have nothing but love for Kiryu as a character, but it really was time for a change of pace, and this game delivers. I like the stark contrast between Yagami and Kiryu. I was a bit afraid that they'd write him into being a similar kind of badass as Kiryu, but I'm happy that this isn't the case. For one, Yagami is a lot more physically and emotionally vulnerable than Kiryu, which makes him prone to get smacked around by bad guys in the cutscenes. It's a nice breath of fresh air into the Yakuza style and formula. Or like the part when Yagami wants to storm into an enemy compound the first thing he does is call his bro for backup. It's the little things like this that help differentiate the entries and keep it exciting for veterans.

Deflowerer

Arcane
She's actually the youngest out of them all yet she looked the most mature to me (well, I guess mommy milkers looked more mature, but only because of her honkers).

https://ryu-ga-gotoku-audition.com/

(You gotta scroll all the way down)

She has the advantage of looking fairly similar to Ichiban's female partner from the online game (she was also present in the April Fool's video). If the heroine is supposed to be the same character, then I think her chances are pretty good.

She is one of the two from the list who isn't an actress-model-'talent', but simply a nurse. The one on her left is also simply an office worker.

Might be against them if they don't have formal voice acting experience.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Do they do anything interesting with the detective mechanics they showed in japan demo?
Hard to say. While they do get frequent use, it remains as pretty vanilla stuff for the main story, but that is kinda to be expected as they play the main story relatively straight faced. For the side cases you might find them being used with an interesting twist, but I can't say for sure yet. I'm only in chapter 4 and optional content is unlocked at a far more even pace where you only get a few side missions per chapter. I can say that one mission that I did used the chase mechanic but instead of running after another person I was chasing after a flying wig. So my hope is that the other detective mechanics, such as the disguise, will get some more humorous use later down the line.

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is a dream come true. Ryoma is one of my favorite historical characters of all time.
Any chances of seeing Kiryu singing Judgement in Terada ya?
:excited:

Modron

Arcane
too bad they took out the styles in kiwami 2.

weaving shit with rush style was really fun
Yeah Coming from Zero and Kiwami 1 to this was a little jarring. Kiwami 2 needed more counter heat actions for sure, gone were the two wall counters, counter-grab heat attack, hit while blocking beast counter, et cetera. Heat actions being largely limited to being deployed from items in hand and grapples made combat less varied and deep. Probably just growing pains from switching to a new engine, being less able to just recycle previous animations/programming/whatever.

Ivan

Arcane
Kiryu is rarely this savage
F43F3FA6820C76DCFA23C7BD73C96009536FDB14

Also, can't escape that goddamn corgi
B96D8CB213469A7A984AB1B3E9A5E08CFBDEC5A3

Deflowerer

Arcane
6 was even worse and the spamming of R2 Heat Mode was standard in that game. Kiwami 2 is a marked improvement in variety over 6.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm not sure how far you guys have played Kiwami 2, but there are quite a lot of heat actions that you unlock with experience points, beyond those situational ones where an ally comes to your aid by throwing you a special weapon.

My problem - being on my third new-generation Yakuza game - is these games are just way too easy. It would probably bother me more if I didn't know for a fact I'm going to replay all of them one day on Legend difficulty, but I kind of wish they'd just let me start on Legend from the beginning. Still love them and occasionally come up against a bit of challenge, but Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio really needs to re-evaluate some of their design choices when it comes to balance and difficutly.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
also dragon engine 2 just look simply amazing. like holy shit. this game looks fucking good. with 0/kiwami kamurocho already looks really detailed. kiwami 2 is just a whole another level.

20190701192411_1.jpg

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
also dragon engine 2 just look simply amazing. like holy shit. this game looks fucking good. with 0/kiwami kamurocho already looks really detailed. kiwami 2 is just a whole another level.

I don't know if I mentioned it here but the most memorable thing about Yakuza 6 for me was going in blind and getting in awe of the graphics when the game first lets you loose in Kamurocho. I swear I must have spent 5+ minutes in first person mode (what took them so long to implement it???) walking around the New Serena street and looking at NPCs and building details. Entering random buildings like it's no one's business and wrecking shit inside convenience stores also blew my mind. They really outdid themselves in the graphics department, even if Kamurocho was incomplete in that game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Finished Judgement. What a wild ride. I felt like the side content wasn't so interesting this time, since there were no battle arenas or such. The VR thing was kind of meh and I'm not interested in doing Drone racing, but the main storyline was probably their best one so far. The choreography for combat was really something else as well. They really outdid themselves in these departments.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I don't know if I mentioned it here but the most memorable thing about Yakuza 6 for me was going in blind and getting in awe of the graphics when the game first lets you loose in Kamurocho. I swear I must have spent 5+ minutes in first person mode (what took them so long to implement it???) walking around the New Serena street and looking at NPCs and building details. Entering random buildings like it's no one's business and wrecking shit inside convenience stores also blew my mind. They really outdid themselves in the graphics department, even if Kamurocho was incomplete in that game.
Similarly, Onomichi is one of the most charming quiet little towns presented in a video game.

Naraya

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom