Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Salt and Sacrifice - sequel to Salt and Sanctuary

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
https://ska-studios.com/games/salt-and-sacrifice/

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/salt-and-sacrifice

Announcement from Ska Studios:
Ska Studios said:
It’s hard to believe it’s been five years since Salt and Sanctuary first launched, but it’s definitely been weird to not be able to talk about what’s been going on in the meantime. Thankfully, all that changed today with the announcement of Salt and Sacrifice, a successor to Salt and Sanctuary that introduces multiplayer and Mage hunts.

I wrote up a blog post for the Playstation blog on the journey from Salt and Sanctuary to Salt and Sacrifice. IGN and Gematsu also have articles on the announcement! It’s been a busy week.

I’m also pleased to announce Devoured Studios and the arrival of Shane Lynch, a longtime friend and absolute machine at netcode, to the team. He really wanted to add multiplayer to the early prototype that would become Salt and Sacrifice, and I’m glad I came around on that. I’m still doing all the art, animation, level design, music, etc., but considering that we’ve both working like crazy, it really goes to show how much of a beast netcode is to get right (Shane would like you to know that he’s also doing literally all the console port work).

There will surely be more news, but thanks for coming along with us this far! As always, follow Ska Studios online for news, media, cats, and all that: Twitter / Discord. Many thanks!

51234221828_17bde7c123_k.jpg

Second announcement on the Playstation blog:
Ska Studios said:
Today I’m excited to announce that Salt and Sacrifice launches on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 in 2022.

I started working on the original Salt and Sanctuary nine years ago, and looking back, it still holds a lot of mystery to me. Development began after I’d already shipped a few games with what I’d humbly claim had adequate combat and gameplay. Like so many other indie devs, I’d recently become obsessed with the Dark Souls formula: its numerous seemingly inscrutable systems, its beautifully dark and imaginative world, and its tense moments where razor thin margins for error emerged elegantly.

I’d built some pretty competent combat systems in The Dishwasher series (which is now unbelievably two console generations old), so the idea of using that as a foundation for exploring an indie soulslike made sense. From there, it was a lot of world pieces, monsters, weapons, and more: all hand-drawn, hand-animated, scripted, and placed; a gradual journey to see if the bones of 2D brawling could animate the flesh of this dark fantasy RPG.

51235074545_540199a7f1_h.jpg

In hindsight, I’m certainly a little in the dark about what worked best for Salt and Sanctuary, not that there is a single right answer. For some, the lore stood out. For others, it was the elaborate skill tree. The fighter DNA resonated with some people. But to so very many people, the lack of online co-op was the most egregious omission, which brings me to Salt and Sacrifice.

Salt and Sacrifice expands on the world of Salt and Sanctuary by exploring a new era and region, as well as a new role: a Marked Inquisitor. A Marked Inquisitor is a criminal condemned, yet spared the hand of justice in exchange for a lifetime of service in the unending war against Mages: twisted, irredeemable creatures of elemental malice. Mages roam the world, summoning minions and wreaking havoc. Hunting a Mage is a multistage pursuit in which your quarry is just as likely to clash with rival Mages as it is with you.

For those of you who have played Salt and Sanctuary, imagine pursuing The Queen of Smiles through the village: she summons two rotten crossbowmen, retreats, stumbles right into The Sodden Knight, scraps it out with him for a bit, retreats again, summons a bronze knight and launches a salvo of swords at you before retreating to her lair, where — cornered, desperate, fierce — she awaits you, for a final battle from which there is no escape. It’s a chaotic dance of blades and bolts, swords and spells.

51234009946_2f1d7409b3_h.jpg

And while questions of which systems and themes will and won’t make the cut remain, one thing is certain: Salt and Sacrifice will absolutely have online multiplayer.

I had been sending screenshots of a new game I had started in 2019 to my friend Shane Lynch, a fellow coder who’d played unwitting victim in a number of my D&D campaigns through the years. “You should add online multiplayer,” he said. “I’ll do it,” he joked (or so I thought). He has a really strong background in network programming. I do not.

It probably took me longer to warm up to the idea of programming cooperatively (and learning git) than it did for Shane to implement bare bones netcode. Within about a week he had something working. It was glitchy at first, but there’s something magical about that virtual first contact. After spending months creating a brand new world, it’s a bizarre delight to see someone else just sort of hanging out in it.

51233306952_61c137bcca_h.jpg

Salt and Sanctuary had co-op that was intentionally obscured and as rudimentary as it comes: local only, same-screen. It was rough, but it was still adored. Because Shane and I are building Salt and Sacrifice from the ground up as a multiplayer game, co-op is much more intentional than it was in Sanctuary. There is a “full” co-op mode, playable online and locally, in which you and an ally can progress through the entire campaign together. Unlike Sanctuary, which only awarded progress to the main player, Salt and Sacrifice allows both players to share progress.

Drawing inspiration from the Souls series, we also implemented summoning mechanics. It’s easy, seamless, and fast to summon a random ally, or join a random host and together embark on a perilous expedition. Sacrifice emphasizes exploration as much as it does Mage hunts, so you may get summoned to help a player explore a new area, or you may get summoned for the sole purpose of barreling straight into a tough boss battle. As Sacrifice takes shape, witnessing the impact of multiplayer on a world that is still rapidly growing in density and complexity has been a uniquely cool experience.

51234221848_0d6c7ce911_h.jpg

We still have quite a ways to go, but this has already been one of the most exciting developments in my now strangely long career. I can’t wait to talk about the Mage designs, the various multiplayer factions, and the world of Salt and Sacrifice, but for now it’s simply such a thrill to introduce the game! Stay tuned for more info on the road to its launch next year on PS4 and PS5.

"Dark fantasy RPG" :M

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Looks great! i'm playing salt & sanctuary now and having a lot of fun. Very cool game, worth a play imo if u have any interest in 2d RPGs or soulslikes. Looking forward to the new one but hopefully i can finish the old one first! :)

jungl

Augur
was a fun game to play with my friend. A very unbalanced game though lol. My guy was a 2hander dude that did tons of damage while my friend was dex based and did dog shit damage end game. He simply just watched me beat the final boss for us cause his dude did shit damage.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
On a related note, I want to replay Zombie Smashers X. What is it with this fucker not wanting to release his older games. It's doubly annoying because James's games are pretty solid :argh:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
liked S&S a lot. It is Castlevania SotN Feat Dark Souls. A lot of people are tired of souls clones, but honestly, I rather see souls clones than wow clones.

The At 0:56 - of the video - and

"A Marked Inquisitor is a criminal condemned, yet spared the hand of justice in exchange for a lifetime of service in the unending war against Mages: twisted, irredeemable creatures of elemental malice. Mages roam the world, summoning minions and wreaking havoc. Hunting a Mage is a multistage pursuit in which your quarry is just as likely to clash with rival Mages as it is with you."

So, can I play as the mage? Playing as one seems more interesting than hunting then.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

• Engage in a deadly game of predator and prey as a Marked Inquisitor sentenced to exterminate rogue Mages.
  • Repurpose the eldritch remains of defeated Mages by crafting unique equipment with powerful abilities.
  • Join comrades-in-arms online for cooperative Mage Hunts and player-versus-player to showcase your hard-earned gear on and off the battlefield.

Lyre Mors

Arcane
See ya in 2023 at a deep discount on steam, Salt and Sacrifice. Guess Silva wanted that Sweeny skrilla more than he wanted the people who supported his first majorly successful release (Salt and Sanctuary) to actually play the game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
He hate GOG? Or does Gog go meh? How about scratch my itchio or just DRM purchase from his site. Fucking EPIC.... ugh!

mogwaimon

Magister
See ya in 2023 at a deep discount on steam, Salt and Sacrifice. Guess Silva wanted that Sweeny skrilla more than he wanted the people who supported his first majorly successful release (Salt and Sanctuary) to actually play the game.

you'd think one of the oldest indie devs still putting out games would be more discerning about this sort of thing. it's a damn shame...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, he wouldn't be the only one I guess. You don't See Final Fantasy, MMX, the latest Doom, Skyrim, FO4, and many other titles on GOG. Sure, they're on STEAM. Maybe it costs more. I don't have a clue being snobbish about GOG.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looks like people don't like accounting, spreadsheets, and business management. That's the bees knees of running a company.

Drool at those assets & expenditures. Curse the liabilities. Balance that spreadsheet. Oh accounting, the stress, the drama, and the ADVENTURE!

There can be only BALANCE!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom