Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
5905F245DAFA77ACFA42999D697399AAD423C443

DB7990B51435C66CC3ED597CC8333C849E06EA0D

Okami (Steam version). Well it's pretty (YMMV, though) and I'm finding it fun to play.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
My main problem with Opus magnum was that programming part was very limited and tedious and that it was unconstrained enough to make it relatively easy to finally arrive at a decent solution just by throwing enough oscillating arms (or code) at the problem.
Got to say that it feels good when you manage to make one of these symmetric beauties, though:
PU39oga.gif

Of course, that solution is merely average according to the histograms.
At least it's better than MY average. :mixedemotions:

Last edited:

yellowcake

Arcane
I'm doing a checkup on my old boxes. This is P3 1266/Geforce4/Win2k. I put first gen Audigy I found in the drawer in it instead of Live! to check it out. This game is DX7 AFAIR (Q3 engine). I swear to god that HRTF positional audio on stereo speakers is better than in modern games.

Seven of nine slouching over control panels
DelKL8c.jpg

my team
ojQI6s1.jpg

a chat before mission
9tpEoFT.jpg

jM70Vxu.jpg

alien stuff
rERQjd5.jpg

pbvwl2R.jpg

gyEjPKx.jpg

U14gqtX.jpg

doc gives me checkup after mission
8FJIY3E.jpg

while lieutenant Paris is hitting on my female teammate
bBRwgFt.jpg

siccbay!
NMPBPcp.jpg

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
How are the controls? I've read it's a bad port.

With KB+mouse, the control feel a little rigid, but it's way more smooth with a gamepad. You can remap the KB+mouse controls (but not the gamepad), but I didn't do it during the hour I played before plugging my PS3 controller: the defaults are fine and it's not as if there's a lot of keys.
Since it's a port of the PS3 version, the graphical level is higher that the PS2 original.

And on my 7 year old laptop I had to lower the quality to low before it ran smoothly.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
My main problem with Opus magnum was that programming part was very limited and tedious and that it was unconstrained enough to make it relatively easy to finally arrive at a decent solution just by throwing enough oscillating arms (or code) at the problem.

Sure but the point of the puzzles aren't for them to be so hard that you have to spent a lot of time and thought in figuring out a working solution.
You are meant to keep replaying them until you finally get that extremely efficient and "harmonious" solution that scores very high.

HansDampf

Arcane

Sure but the point of the puzzles aren't for them to be so hard that you have to spent a lot of time and thought in figuring out a working solution.
I'd rather spend time thinking than on tedious coding.
You are meant to keep replaying them until you finally get that extremely efficient and "harmonious" solution that scores very high.
Good scores are also easy to accomplish in most puzzles. All you need to do is grab the inputs as fast as possible (there is a hard limit) and build an engine that doesn't break down under the workload. Since you can always throw more arms at the problem, like DraQ said, it's not that hard, only tedious. It only gets challenging once you approach the lower limit, and if you are really eager to squeeze out the last 1 or 2 remaining cycles.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
The best roadtrip with the boiz simulator for whatever that's worth

Don't judge foreign habits

Boring game overall with time wasting animations, easy real time combat, the story is out of place with your country getting conquered 30min in but you somehow find time to pet chocobos and take pictures, it has some endearing charm to it but not much else, worth a try if curious.
Bonus Chocobo:
FINAL-FANTASY-XV-WINDOWS-EDITION-1-10-2020-6-22-10-PM.png

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

I'd rather spend time thinking than on tedious coding.
Good scores are also easy to accomplish in most puzzles. All you need to do is grab the inputs as fast as possible (there is a hard limit) and build an engine that doesn't break down under the workload. Since you can always throw more arms at the problem, like DraQ said, it's not that hard, only tedious. It only gets challenging once you approach the lower limit, and if you are really eager to squeeze out the last 1 or 2 remaining cycles.
Pictured: The exact kind of solution I hate:

What I really miss is some aggregated complexity score - accounting for both the number and complexity of moving parts (arm pivots, telescopes, linear track segments) and the complexity of code. That would be a fun score to minimize and should yield fairly "realistic" looking steampunky engines.

Optimizing for speed usually just means a huge number of arms waving back and forth, optimizing for cost or area a minimum number of components (usually a single arm, possibly telescoping or tracked) performing a hideously long program (most of which is contortionist dance to pack intermediates closely if optimizing for area). Don't get me wrong, this can be impressive, but it's the same kind of impressive as watching someone take a shit, wipe their ass and flush - all with the lid closed over them (without getting wet or dirty) - roughly one third genuine admiration, one third sympathy and one third morbid fascination.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Started Opus Magnum. What a fun game, just did the tutorial and the Stabilized Water thing. Does someone knows how the best score works? Is it cycle based?
qXiWmln.gif

JA6WLBt.png

:shredder:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Is it cycle based?

Well, there are 3 different scores, one of them being the cycles.

By the way, apparently the best solution to that level is like 15 cycles.

My solutions are usually cheap, because I rarely can keep track of a lot of arms. Optimizing for cycles is probably the most autistic one. And I wish I could do it. :negative:

Since you can always throw more arms at the problem, like DraQ said, it's not that hard, only tedious.

Well yeah, but as he said, it's not necessarily only about completing a level, but also going back and trying to get a better place on the histogram. And just dropping a ton of arms in can only help with the cycles.
But most likely there's always gonna be some assholes you can't beat so well, maybe it's not worth it in the end.

Viata

Arcane
Is it cycle based?

Well, there are 3 different scores, one of them being the cycles.

By the way, apparently the best solution to that level is like 15 cycles.

My solutions are usually cheap, because I rarely can keep track of a lot of arms. Optimizing for cycles is probably the most autistic one. And I wish I could do it. :negative:

Since you can always throw more arms at the problem, like DraQ said, it's not that hard, only tedious.

Well yeah, but as he said, it's not necessarily only about completing a level, but also going back and trying to get a better place on the histogram. And just dropping a ton of arms in can only help with the cycles.
But most likely there's always gonna be some assholes you can't beat so well, maybe it's not worth it in the end.
Thank you. I will first finish the game before I go full autism in low cycles, because the more complex stuffs you do, you can think of better ways of solving simple ones.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, since we're posting GIFs, here's one from Exapunks:

PFUkzuw.gif

Beautiful isn't it?
Well, fucking no, because I think it's 1 fucking cycle short of the best solution and I can't imagine how to get that one.

Viata

Arcane
I just downloaded exapunks, still have to read the tutorial to learn it. I'm really loving their games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom