Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

HansDampf

Arcane
Time for another long Doom dump.
OOMLI.gif

MyHouse.wad

01sodn5.png

:hmmm:

02agiyg.png

This has been talked to death. My first impression was like, this looks cool and intriguing but is also boring af to play and best enjoyed in video format. But the more I think and read about it, the more I actually Hate it.

0390e2k.png

0450eta.png

0765i8j.png

It's a menstruation metaphor.

:edgy:

05k8crm.png

08cifv7.png

Imagine your "friend" died, and as a tribute you build his house in Doom, turn it into a trippy walking sim with personal memories, puzzles and metaphors hidden everywhere (cool), but then feel the need to bury it all in silly creepypasta and dumb shit like playing a random discord notification sound 10 minutes into the map. All in memory of your "friend", of course. Then complain when people focus too much on the pasta instead of the "journey of grief".
------

Moonlight

02i7cli.png

A puzzle map.

05ybid1.png

But the puzzles are mostly about an alien alphabet and don't do anything with the Doom engine. Meh.

03ktiln.png

Just enter the correct number.

04ldcff.png

What could it mean?

06vuf61.png

07eudk3.png

0883c4e.png

m6fWAOPm.jpg

09toif0.png
------

The Given

01fli3q.jpg

Another puzzle map, this time with actual Doom puzzles involving doors, labyrinths, platforms, and environmental hints.

05afdjg.jpg

021hi2e.jpg

032kfhy.jpg

04vsep9.jpg

063vibw.jpg

Fireblue vegetable. This is all pure decoration.

07zqdij.jpg

Same as this graveyard.

088jftc.jpg
------

Cyberdreams

01ioc8j.jpg

A wad from 1998 that's about killing Cyberdemons without weapons by activating crushers, telefragging, or sometimes infighting.

02upeil.jpg

I wouldn't call them puzzles. It's a collection of mini challenges that mostly test your dodging skills (and sometimes your patience, because crushing a Cyberdemon takes some time).

03mbcjv.jpg

Don't ask why there is a Quake symbol on the floor.

04pcdgr.jpg

Press a sequence of switches while being shot at from all angles and before your suite runs out.

05yviti.jpg

06hrf39.jpg

p9KaUSY.png

072mfxk.png

08vgcnp.png

096diak.png
------

Not Even Remotely Fair - Episode 2

01sfipf.jpg

Once again, this wad is designed for Nightmare difficulty (respawning monsters, faster projectiles, double ammo) with short and replayable maps. Get all secrets and items for an extra challenge.
It's almost a different game. You take damage constantly, but there are lots of health pickups to compensate.

02tycwr.png
Complete bollocks!

039ii95.png

043vftt.png

Enemies will shoot non-stop on Nightmare.

05dhi89.png

Does this look familiar?

0626esz.png

Yes. It's that room from Sunlust, except the walls move faster and you are fighting Turbo Pinkies.

07wkck0.jpg

08udfr0.png

That's a way to present a skull key.

10pef3y.png

11qhceg.png

XLK3qH7.gif

13mwdi7.png

14kddzu.png

That stupid sexy Cyberdemon!

15lpfkq.png

16wai84.png

zGwXvZB.gif

173ydz3.png

:salute:
Episode 3 isn't done yet. But this is shaping up to be one of my favorite wads.
Btw, they really go out of their way to force you to play on Nightmare. If you choose lower difficulties, all monsters are removed. At least you can explore the maps and learn the layout.
Experienced Doomers may wonder what happens when you play on Ultra Violence, since monster placement on UV is the same as on Nightmare. Except on UV every map has a nice surprise prepared for you.
182od4f.png

:whatho:

How is this done?
Somewhere outside of the playable map is a corridor with an Archvile and a Pinky who are both running towards a teleporter. The Archvile is normally the fastest monster in the game and would win the race, go through the teleporter and trigger the trap that teleports 100 Archviles into the map. But on Nightmare, Pinkies move twice as fast, so the Pinky reaches the teleporter first. Pinkies are also fat which causes him to get stuck and block the teleporter for the Archvile, and the trap is not sprung.

Nightmare or GTFO.
------

Sunlust

01h8cr2.png

It's time to finish this once and for all. These last 3 maps take disproportionally more effort than any of the previous maps, mostly due to their length.

029ccig.png

04osfqg.png

Epic secret arena.

0691c67.png

Very epic.

08mkimn.png

The reward for all this is a bonus exit that doesn't kill you. You could take a full BFG and megasphere with you to map 29. But I have to pistol-start.

09u4frm.png

It would make a huge difference because map 29 (fittingly named "Go Fuck Yourself") begins like this. Green hell is over. Everything is gold now.

11ejfvz.png

12h4fc1.jpg

There is of course "that room" with the rotating walls.

1378djx.jpg

I have successfully fucked myself.

15y6dii.png

Map 30 isn't as hard, but it's 45+ minutes long and more like an endurance test with some scary moments at the end.

165ddhv.png

179ffo0.png

This fight, however, is the most difficult in the entire game. I call it the BFG fight, because ... it's where you get the BFG. It's the only one for which I couldn't find a reliable strategy, at all. Just improvise and hope for the best. I died many times here. It's only 10 minutes into the map, but still...
:negative:

1863dnp.png

This arena makes up the second half of the map. I made sure to know exactly what to do from here on so I wouldn't have to go through the BFG fight again.

19i5ez8.png

Youtubers say MyHouse is the "most terrifying Doom map". I don't know, man... Seeing this after 40 minutes was more terrifying. There are 8 roaming Archies in this group. Most of them get hit by other enemies and will ignore you. But there is always that one bastard that really hates you. And there is no cover.

20u7ctg.jpg

Archies dead. Time to win.

21drdb0.jpg

Only one more obstacle: 8 pairs of Archviles get released in this room. It shouldn't be a problem with the BFG, but you have to be quick. This is only here to test your nerves.
:shredder:

225gc9n.png

Still a better story than Doom Eternal.

239jimx.png

I probably won't be maxing long maps like this again. Too stressful and time consuming.

v1c70r14

Educated
Looks atmospheric - which game?
Dark Vengeance.

Steve Jobs used it to demo Apple hardware before it was released, can't find that video now though, so here's one after it was released. It's a bit of a weird game, it's very slick and there's a ton of enemy variety, plus the soundtrack is Deus Ex and Unreal tier at times. Despite all that the presentation is janky and very minimal and you get very little context for what you encounter and what you do. Some of it might have to do with the game featuring three different playable characters that all have different stories and totally different weapons. After you get used to the controls which didn't anticipate modern standards it's a very fun game that you don't see many people talk about online.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
the UI is ass, though
I agree, but most other aspects of the game, visually, are top notch.

If they fixed the UI -- even just the ability to scale it way down -- and corrected the horrible character facial appearance, I'd call it a gorgeous game.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Time for another long Doom dump.
OOMLI.gif

MyHouse.wad

01sodn5.png

02agiyg.png

This has been talked to death. My first impression was like, this looks cool and intriguing but is also boring af to play and best enjoyed in video format. But the more I think and read about it, the more I actually Hate it.

0390e2k.png

0450eta.png

0765i8j.png

It's a menstruation metaphor.

:edgy:

05k8crm.png

08cifv7.png

Imagine your "friend" died, and as a tribute you build his house in Doom, turn it into a trippy walking sim with personal memories, puzzles and metaphors hidden everywhere (cool), but then feel the need to bury it all in silly creepypasta and dumb shit like playing a random discord notification sound 10 minutes into the map. All in memory of your "friend", of course. Then complain when people focus too much on the pasta instead of the "journey of grief".
------

Moonlight

02i7cli.png

A puzzle map.

05ybid1.png

But the puzzles are mostly about an alien alphabet and don't do anything with the Doom engine. Meh.

03ktiln.png

Just enter the correct number.

04ldcff.png

What could it mean?

06vuf61.png

07eudk3.png

0883c4e.png

m6fWAOPm.jpg

09toif0.png
------

The Given

01fli3q.jpg

Another puzzle map, this time with actual Doom puzzles involving doors, labyrinths, platforms, and environmental hints.

05afdjg.jpg

021hi2e.jpg

032kfhy.jpg

04vsep9.jpg

063vibw.jpg

Fireblue vegetable. This is all pure decoration.

07zqdij.jpg

Same as this graveyard.

088jftc.jpg
------

Cyberdreams

01ioc8j.jpg

A wad from 1998 that's about killing Cyberdemons without weapons by activating crushers, telefragging, or sometimes infighting.

02upeil.jpg

I wouldn't call them puzzles. It's a collection of mini challenges that mostly test your dodging skills (and sometimes your patience, because crushing a Cyberdemon takes some time).

03mbcjv.jpg

Don't ask why there is a Quake symbol on the floor.

04pcdgr.jpg

Press a sequence of switches while being shot at from all angles and before your suite runs out.

05yviti.jpg

06hrf39.jpg

p9KaUSY.png

072mfxk.png

08vgcnp.png

096diak.png
------

Not Even Remotely Fair - Episode 2

01sfipf.jpg

Once again, this wad is designed for Nightmare difficulty (respawning monsters, faster projectiles, double ammo) with short and replayable maps. Get all secrets and items for an extra challenge.
It's almost a different game. You take damage constantly, but there are lots of health pickups to compensate.

02tycwr.png
Complete bollocks!

039ii95.png

043vftt.png

Enemies will shoot non-stop on Nightmare.

05dhi89.png

Does this look familiar?

0626esz.png

Yes. It's that room from Sunlust, except the walls move faster and you are fighting Turbo Pinkies.

07wkck0.jpg

08udfr0.png

That's a way to present a skull key.

10pef3y.png

11qhceg.png

XLK3qH7.gif

13mwdi7.png

14kddzu.png

That stupid sexy Cyberdemon!

15lpfkq.png

16wai84.png

zGwXvZB.gif

173ydz3.png

:salute:
Episode 3 isn't done yet. But this is shaping up to be one of my favorite wads.
Btw, they really go out of their way to force you to play on Nightmare. If you choose lower difficulties, all monsters are removed. At least you can explore the maps and learn the layout.
Experienced Doomers may wonder what happens when you play on Ultra Violence, since monster placement on UV is the same as on Nightmare. Except on UV every map has a nice surprise prepared for you.
182od4f.png

:whatho:

How is this done?
Somewhere outside of the playable map is a corridor with an Archvile and a Pinky who are both running towards a teleporter. The Archvile is normally the fastest monster in the game and would win the race, go through the teleporter and trigger the trap that teleports 100 Archviles into the map. But on Nightmare, Pinkies move twice as fast, so the Pinky reaches the teleporter first. Pinkies are also fat which causes him to get stuck and block the teleporter for the Archvile, and the trap is not sprung.

Nightmare or GTFO.
------

Sunlust

01h8cr2.png

It's time to finish this once and for all. These last 3 maps take disproportionally more effort than any of the previous maps, mostly due to their length.

029ccig.png

04osfqg.png

Epic secret arena.

0691c67.png

Very epic.

08mkimn.png

The reward for all this is a bonus exit that doesn't kill you. You could take a full BFG and megasphere with you to map 29. But I have to pistol-start.

09u4frm.png

It would make a huge difference because map 29 (fittingly named "Go Fuck Yourself") begins like this. Green hell is over. Everything is gold now.

11ejfvz.png

12h4fc1.jpg

There is of course "that room" with the rotating walls.

1378djx.jpg

I have successfully fucked myself.

15y6dii.png

Map 30 isn't as hard, but it's 45+ minutes long and more like an endurance test with some scary moments at the end.

165ddhv.png

179ffo0.png

This fight, however, is the most difficult in the entire game. I call it the BFG fight, because ... it's where you get the BFG. It's the only one for which I couldn't find a reliable strategy, at all. Just improvise and hope for the best. I died many times here. It's only 10 minutes into the map, but still...
:negative:

1863dnp.png

This arena makes up the second half of the map. I made sure to know exactly what to do from here on so I wouldn't have to go through the BFG fight again.

19i5ez8.png

Youtubers say MyHouse is the "most terrifying Doom map". I don't know, man... Seeing this after 40 minutes was more terrifying. There are 8 roaming Archies in this group. Most of them get hit by other enemies and will ignore you. But there is always that one bastard that really hates you. And there is no cover.

20u7ctg.jpg

Archies dead. Time to win.

21drdb0.jpg

Only one more obstacle: 8 pairs of Archviles get released in this room. It shouldn't be a problem with the BFG, but you have to be quick. This is only here to test your nerves.
:shredder:

225gc9n.png

Still a better story than Doom Eternal.

239jimx.png

I probably won't be maxing long maps like this again. Too stressful and time consuming.
Ah, Sunlust.
I intend to play this in the near future, but I can't say I am looking forward to the ballscrushing difficulty.
Still, a lot of fun. Archviles. Archviles everywhere...
Have you played Eviternity?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Warlords Battlecry. Never played the first game before.
BattlecryYoABfaQfOm.png
Battlecryj4leSFUsX3.png
BattlecryfIALuw1vIz.png

It feels very rough in many places but it does have something akin to a proper story campaign compared to the later games in the series.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Gamezor
The combat system is very interesting, and fun, but it takes some time to get really used to it, respectively the learning curve is high. It's just that the game can become very very repetitive, so make sure that you're ready for a grindy tactical JRPG.

Sjukob

Arcane
Finished it. Honestly, I can see why these series are unpopular, it's not just about the controls, the games have more issues than that, for example, the balancing is completely fucked in a bad way, they are also very monotonous and thanks to the controls and the balancing, I can't see there being much options for implementing some cool and unique encounters, even if people had full access to the source code and various utilities. But still, pretty cool games nonetheless, I don't regret playing them.
dosbox2023-05-1323-10bdd9k.png

dosbox2023-05-2722-26g3dam.png

dosbox2023-05-2822-08k3evs.png

dosbox2023-05-2822-2698dov.png

dosbox2023-06-0422-56qhdbm.png

dosbox2023-06-0423-13dsfwu.png

dosbox2023-06-0423-34q8iq7.png
dosbox2023-06-1118-52s7cu7.png
dosbox2023-06-1122-22xec80.png
dosbox2023-06-1122-403ii3w.png
dosbox2023-06-1122-424uc5v.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom