Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
79871181.jpg

backtothefuture-570x350.jpg

Heresiarch

Prophet
Regarding the Steve Jackson's Sorcery! 2 game I've been playing on...

WTF I'VE REACHED THE END OF THE GAME AND IT TOLD ME I WAS STILL MISSING ONE CLUE TO SOLVE IT AND IT WAS LOCATED AT ONE THIRD OF THE GAME BUT THE BUILDING CONTAINING THE CLUE I CAN'T GET INTO IT WHEN I TRIED NOW I MUST REWIND THE GAME LIKE HOURS BACK OR I COULD FINISH IT BUT WITH A HUGE "CHEATER" ON MY HEAD

IN A RAGE I JUST RESET THE WHOLE SHIT BACK TO PROLOGUE THUS REPLAYING THE WHOLE THING AND HAVE WASTED HOURS

C&C, hardcore, oldschool text adventures. Best, game, ever.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
9rhl.png

Killing before breakfast

g88b.png

I hate it when they do that!

7x8z.png

I like the "Mechwarrior's Journal", just a little bit of text between the missions but it really makes the game feel more "alive". No need for hours of hollywodian cutscenes.

jkpz.png

There's no running from LRM's

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Silencer materializes.
yflPGx6.jpg

Mr. Scientist turns around. He lowers his clipboard and utters a poorly chosen set of last words: "Hey, you're not supposed to be here!"
H7wY25x.jpg

The Silencer, for a brief moment, pauses over the bodies. His benefactors worry that their killing machine has started to contemplate the morality of his actions.
WJX6c6c.jpg

A sigh of relief overcums them all.
GpWpsAp.png

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just can't understand why Frictional gave away their best selling title and lifebuoy to developer who doesn't know anything about a proper gameplay. "Updated my journal", something weird going on. "Updated my journal", there is a monster, I must run. "Updated my journal", turn the wheel that's in front of you. Bleh.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I just can't understand why Frictional gave away their best selling title and lifebuoy to developer who doesn't know anything about a proper gameplay. "Updated my journal", something weird going on. "Updated my journal", there is a monster, I must run. "Updated my journal", turn the wheel that's in front of you. Bleh.

Because they wanted money, and didn't have the resources to develop two games at a time, is my best guess.

zwanzig_zwoelf

If you hire a bunch of Ukrainians to make a game about Doritos consumable crap... well...
Skye%202013-11-13%2004-55-56-28.png

Sometimes it turns out to be a decent clone of American McGee's Alice.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
29ely5x.jpg

Yoooweee, ancient Mayan temples and shit

2uyg3rt.jpg

Complete with commie colonels getting cooked by conquistador corpses!

mauzxd.jpg

One ugly-ass dessicated mummy larper

v8k0f6.jpg

I ain't drinkin' with them soviets again

2u97dxt.jpg

Give me back muh guns, zombie rapists!

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Because they wanted money, and didn't have the resources to develop two games at a time, is my best guess.
They actually really like thechineseroom, and imho Dan Pinchbeck is in some cases a quite nice writer, so maybe it seemed worth the risk. If I remember rightly (this is explained in one of Frictional's blog posts, I think), thechineseroom was the party that introduced the idea of an Amnesia spinoff, or if that's not the case, then both developers started talking about it with each other at roughly the same time.

Frictional had previously done a blog post that attributed some amount of game design competency to Korsakovia (bahah), and Thomas Grip at one point tried to reason with me that listening to and interpreting the narration in Dear Esther could be considered gameplay, so before Pigs was announced I had figured Frictional and TCR were buddies in some capacity.

I think they were hit by the allure of "experimental," since it's a word that everybody uses to describe TCR's shit, and horror is all about confronting the unfamiliar. However, with TCR, "experimental" means stripping a product of anything that isn't basic and then presenting it funny. With Korsakovia, I suppose they wanted to strip out fun to make something that felt hectic and desperate, when it was really just annoying. With Dear Esther, they took a step backward in storytelling by making the story even less interactive than in most games. With Pigs, they ended up making the same fucking game as Amnesia with the same systems and plot, but without any of the substance that made Amnesia interesting.

Renegen

Arcane
I love how you play the Gaians and have Boreholes and forests everywhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom