Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There should be a subsection in Avatars "Various adventure games", where you could put stuff like that. It's too little to give a separate section for some of them, but it could be a nice addition.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Thought I was alone on my supposed island till the border shifted, meet the spartans, they want an alliance to attack Zak, sure why not and then they share their world map (2150)
:troll: Double my population already, why of course. This is going to be painful once relations turn sour

Oh my, how do you play Alpha Centauri in spiffy high-res?

The new XCOM expansion/DLC is worth it even just for this mission:

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-31-49-40.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-35-12-21.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-51-55-07.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2023-05-33-57.jpg

While it's too bad they didn't make any changes to the final mission, they do put in a few very awesome new missions.

Is that a scripted story mission or is it something that can happen at any time like in the old game. It'd be quite :incline: if it is the latter.

Last edited:

AstroZombie

Arcane
What's the Codex consensus on Nu Xcom? Worth playing seven times?

I'm not sure about the Codex consesus, but I don't think it's a very good game. It has no APs which meant, at least for me, less control over my squad and I no longer have to carefully plan out my movements to not let my guys standing in the open, the way enemy placement is handle is fairly stupid: Enemies no longer roam the map as they did in UFO Defense/TFTD, instead they're sort of aggro-ed once you reach a certain point in the map(I'm not 100% sure if this i show it works, sea wrote a blog post about this on gamasutra and I'll track down the link later). The base management aspect has been streamlined(read: dumbed down) and your tech-tree is tied down to story progress. Up until the expansion pack your base could not be invaded, the levels aren't randomly generated nor are the missions past a certain point which completely murdered the replayability of the game and, since it's a console port, the interface is kinda horrible.

I'm not entirely sure about some of the things I've just wrote because I've played the game last year(an old man with Alzheimer's has better memory than I do) and I couldn't be bothered to replay it.

Edit: Also, if you plan on getting this through legal means, wait for a sale. During the last big Steam/Amazon sales I remember it received a hefty discount.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The new XCOM expansion/DLC is worth it even just for this mission:

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-31-49-40.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-35-12-21.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2022-51-55-07.jpg

XComEW%202013-11-18%2023-05-33-57.jpg

While it's too bad they didn't make any changes to the final mission, they do put in a few very awesome new missions.

What's the Codex consensus on Nu Xcom? Worth playing seven times?

It's not a XCOM/JA2 level in tactical management that's for sure, but it's very challenging and full of the addictiveness as typical Firaxis/Micropose game. With the Xpac's content, and the second wave options, it's literally worth playing seven times. What AstroZombie said is half truth half bullshit, like the no patrolling part - aliens group do need to be aggroed before becoming aware of your soldiers (which is the same case as old X-COMs), but they also do patrol so you can be fucked on your flank if a bunch of mutons join the fight while you're guys are busy handling a Sectopod. The tech tying to the storyline is also bullshit and exist only in tutorial mode, you can research everything except for psionics and face all enemies except for Sectoid commanders and Ethereals without touching the alien base mission. You can do that mission with full Plasma weaponry and Blaster Launchers and Titan Armor if you're patient enough to do all the research.

The main problems for me of the game is the length is relatively short (20 hours for a single Classic playthrough) and the latter half (i.e. by the time you get psionics) is quite easy. Once you get a good understanding of the game you can win on Classic/Ironman quite easily. It's not short of gameplay though, it took me like 20 restarts to comfortably finish a save-scumming Classic playthrough and another 20 restart to be finally able to smoothly sail through C/I, and even now I'm having trouble with Impossible difficulty.

The game is good.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Once you've finished it once, you don't really need to play through it again. I can't speak for the expansion, but the base game is railroaded, meaning that every time you play you're going to play in roughly the same way again. There's not nearly as much variety in playstyle as there was in either the original Xcom or its spinoffs.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Here's sea's blog post that I mentioned, since he writes for a living it's probably much better written than anything I could've come up with: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw..._Didnt_Work_For_Me_Simulation_vs_Strategy.php

It's not a XCOM/JA2 level in tactical management that's for sure, but it's very challenging and full of the addictiveness as typical Firaxis/Micropose game. With the Xpac's content, and the second wave options, it's literally worth playing seven times. What AstroZombie said is half truth half bullshit, like the no patrolling part - aliens group do need to be aggroed before becoming aware of your soldiers (which is the same case as old X-COMs), but they also do patrol so you can be fucked on your flank if a bunch of mutons join the fight while you're guys are busy handling a Sectopod. The tech tying to the storyline is also bullshit and exist only in tutorial mode, you can research everything except for psionics and face all enemies except for Sectoid commanders and Ethereals without touching the alien base mission. You can do that mission with full Plasma weaponry and Blaster Launchers and Titan Armor if you're patient enough to do all the research.

The main problems for me of the game is the length is relatively short (20 hours for a single Classic playthrough) and the latter half (i.e. by the time you get psionics) is quite easy. Once you get a good understanding of the game you can win on Classic/Ironman quite easily. It's not short of gameplay though, it took me like 20 restarts to comfortably finish a save-scumming Classic playthrough and another 20 restart to be finally able to smoothly sail through C/I, and even now I'm having trouble with Impossible difficulty.

The game is good.

I apologize for anything inaccurate that I've said, it's not my intention to mislead anyone here. It's merely how I remember the game.

Anyway, about that base invasion: is it something that happens at a specific moment of the campaign or can it happen at any time? If it's the latter then* that might be a good reason to revisit the game once the expansion is 50% off.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Here's sea's blog post that I mentioned, since he writes for a living it's probably much better written than anything I could've come up with: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw..._Didnt_Work_For_Me_Simulation_vs_Strategy.php

The game is good.

I apologize for anything inaccurate that I've said, it's not my intention to mislead anyone here. It's merely how I remember the game.

Anyway, about that base invasion: is it something that happens at a specific moment of the campaign or can it happen at any time? If it's the latter than that might be a good reason to revisit the game once the expansion is 50% off.

No need to apologize, you're supposed to be rude in the codex.

The base invasion happens at a specific moment of the campaign. If you're caught offguard by it, it's absolutely brutal. Even if you're spoiled or have prepared very well against it, it's still the most challenging mission of the whole game.

The expansion pack tweaked a lot of the old mechanism and introduced a lot of new toys to make the game approachable with more ways. The difficulty is still there but there are more ways to develop your strategy. Training Roulette alone brings a lot of life to the game. In the end the game is still easy lategame wise but hey that's what the old X-COMs are too.

You should probably try it out. Similar to your case, I used to have absolute negative impressions with CIV 5, but after installing both G&K and BNW it turned out to be one of the best CIV ever. Enemy Within doesn't provide such dramatic improvement over Enemy Unknown but Firaxis hasn't lost their general touch with it, that's what I can say.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Thanks for the answer and the impressions, it's a shame that the base invasions are scripted, but the mission still sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot once it's on sale at a good discount because the pricing is kinda silly here in Brazil(more expensive than the base game was at launch, iirc).

Alchemist

Arcane
Thanks for the answer and the impressions, it's a shame that the base invasions are scripted, but the mission still sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot once it's on sale at a good discount because the pricing is kinda silly here in Brazil(more expensive than the base game was at launch, iirc).
There is currently a nice bundle of X-Com Enemy Unknown + DLC + the old classic titles for $9.99 on amazon (Steam codes). Not sure if there are region restrictions on that though, hopefully you can get the deal in Brazil.

I'm thinking of jumping on this because I've never played any X-Coms...

AstroZombie

Arcane
There is currently a nice bundle of X-Com Enemy Unknown + DLC + the old classic titles for $9.99 on amazon (Steam codes). Not sure if there are region restrictions on that though, hopefully you can get the deal in Brazil.

I'm thinking of jumping on this because I've never played any X-Coms...

Amazon has "region restrictions" that can be bypassed by simply using an US address, lol.

Thanks for telling me about this deal, I already have XCOM: EU(got it for free because someone I know pre-ordered Bioshock), but I don't have the classic XCOM games(on steam) nor do I have the DLC :)

Tel Velothi

Cipher
suejak brofists this
pLbr2AL.jpg

NOO! My teddy bear! Suffer the consequences.

6myPZ7R.jpg

:lol:

pyX0Bj5.jpg

Tried to talk with the parrot. Failed. I wonder why ?

DbWgUVV.jpg

The heart of this decadent city.

gYiKJtX.jpg

:(

Op0zd2z.jpg

Those Coktel guys :thumbsup:

WnGlmV9.jpg

D6TcVJu.jpg

FhWrcfY.jpg

BAf5avo.jpg

8ZipQ9O.jpg

kvxg0K4.jpg

The teddy bear has been avenged.

iPO1lFO.jpg

images

Such a good game, and I finally finished it. The graphics are so nice, but the difficulty was really high. And all that HIZ, NIT, BZT and others :lol:.

Holy shit!
I've searched for this everywhere since my childhood. I only remembered that you had to find two boots to cross the acid stream and that randomly there was this haunting, mysterious tuba sound or some shit, which scared me as a kid - strongest memory of this game.
Oh, man. Too bad I don't know the name of this game yet, but I'll try to google image search.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Tweaked my settings a bit. Putting something on "Ultra" settings makes it actually appear as "LOW". LOL! (EA sucks etc)

Surprised my dated PC can handle this with such a smooth framerate. Will lower it again though, don't want to miss the bushwookies hiding inside vegetation. :P

Was wondering If I could get some specs on that? Curious if I can run it. Also :oops: on never playing BF3 like, ever. Was back home in the middle months and now without my gaming rig in these for a while.

Win7 64bit
AMD Athlon II x2 250
8 gigs RAM
Radeon HD 6800 GFX

As said, a not so good rig, but it runs the game at mid to high surprisingly good. I wish I had a proper SSD though, since the loading times are quite high.

I'm still using my GeForce Gtx 260 and 2 gigs of ram. Assassin's Creed IV glitches and has many jumps on High with blooms/AAs, but it's definitely playable and doesn't interrupt the gameplay. I hope GTA V will run as good as Max Payne 3, which ran like wonder on medium/high.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You run it on dual core CPU? I heard that BF3 required quad core CPU to work.
So - BF4 got better performance than BF3. What a surprise.
Should skip that shovelware BF3 (hyped by BC2 and it's done) but too late.

Also - fuck, hate talking about specs, too much shitstorm survived to start it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom