Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kentucky Route Zero: Act II

2013-11-26_00040.jpg

2013-11-26_00178.jpg

2013-11-26_00180.jpg

Popamole decline, of course, but this is one of the best games I've played recently. I hesitate to call it an "adventure game" in the classic sense, but if only all popamole decline games were like this...

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Planet's Edge looks interesting, though those colors hurt my eyes a bit.

3wui.png

efsv.png

1x1r.png

What a cool game, I really like the bizzare artsyle and athmosphere. Too bad it's so linear. While I find the fighting enjoyable, I wish it had the level design and exploration of an oldschool FPS game.

Ashery

Prophet
Off to Laythe! Still in orbit, in fact, as I'm still plotting out the best way to get home. Minor highlights so far:

vdar9G5.png

Sunrise on Jool with Laythe in the background. Other than being pretty, notice the navball: I fucked up and did a retrograde aerobreak (That green circle indicates the vector for current velocity. Being on the 270 line means I'm going west/clockwise, but all stellar bodies orbit east/counterclockwise). Fortunately, that mistake only cost me 200dV to setup a retrograde capture on Laythe, but it screwed up my plans for dropping my probes far out and doing some easy burns to match the outer moons.

o0pYHW8.png

Separation before dropping to Laythe's surface. I actually managed to safely land in water on my first attempt, but somehow the decouplers got screwed up and I blew my engines instead of my empty fuel tanks, and the engines promptly curved inward, got caught on my ship, and sent it spiraling out of control. Note that my fuel isn't maxed. I made the call to keep ~1800ish units of fuel in the tanker as I ballparked that as a good minimum to get home. I didn't jettison my two empty T-800 tanks as they had chutes on top, my landing gear, and losing the symmetry would've resulted in me tipping in the water (I would've been good for space flight, just not a water landing), but that latter one wasn't planned for as I was expecting a water landing to result in immediate failure.

No pictures of Laythe, unfortunately. Not sure how I fucked that up.

aXZ8GlC.png

Back in orbit and refueling from the tanker. Definitely better at docking now. Notice both the fuel levels and the fact that I've shed everything but the nuclear engines on the ship. I ended up with eight, that's six seconds of burn, fuel left after getting into a not-quite-circular orbit (75;67). Thankfully, I just went for a straight east ascent and didn't try to match my tug's inclination, as I probably wouldn't have made it into orbit if I tried. This meant that I had to do a 320ish dV burn on the tanker, but thanks to shedding all my periphery tanks, I didn't have enough room for all the remaining fuel anyhow. In fact, without the tanker, my ship has room for 1620, so the tanker will be left with a full two units of fuel to offer the next ship that visits Laythe.

And now to play the waiting game while the planets align themselves for the return home.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only proper way to play good old Quake. I forgot how it's fast and unforgiving. The weapons switch almost instanly, the enemies don't wait behind the wall for a headshot, and they are vicious. The ogres and their grenade launchers gave me many fu... moments. Not to mention shamblers. There is no time for admiring the wall textures, it's a constant fight for life. The accelerated version looks worse, a granular graphics fits Quake better.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only proper way to play good old Quake. I forgot how it's fast and unforgiving. The weapons switch almost instanly, the enemies don't wait behind the wall for a headshot, and they are vicious. The ogres and their grenade launchers gave me many fu... moments. Not to mention shamblers. There is no time for admiring the wall textures, it's a constant fight for life. The accelerated version looks worse, a granular graphics fits Quake better.

The Fiends are among the most scary enemies I've ever encountered in a computer game.
I only played the shareware version of Quake back in the days (never saw a full copy in the bargain bin), but I'm really looking foward to the full version for my upcoming 1996 play list.

Wasteland 2
Glorious software mode. :love:

This is not a software renderer. It only has disabled textures filtering, a move I approve of, for low res textures of glorious 90s shooters.
Software renderer didn't had alpha blended round particles, or 32-bit color. This is the real deal:

KfyCnlP.png

jPNvN6g.png

Sadly, winquake works only in windowed mode on my system, which is a blasphemy for an immershun incarnate game like Quake.
DOSbox unfortunately "emulates" also performance from the 90s and I cannot into 20fps action games anymore, since I am not a consoletard.
So modern engine ports are the way to go for me too, but screenshots above from winquake look sweet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom