Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Astral Rag

Arcane
724BEF9C1F20A6406A80BE27F2B72F7DDFFC17F7

7A9DE0D9EA3B0BC87D290196F5B7E7F2824B284E

DF1874D64559BE7426697BA56DB6905C47FA643E

29FCFECEB11295413816BC64B60BAE71ACD3A47D

5B54EFD7C777553522C27326DAB74528E239F0BD

818B9983399AC80F5CFC1ADCD39C71981FEAF81F

D880E67992385E17772AEB4BD1E993F6DB5459AF

F2AD463E8E29EE9BA1E67F6879CF08F428A63686

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
id's Rage engine gets a lot of flack for texture issues and whatnot, and rightly so, but when it wants to look good it can look pretty damn good. From Wolfenstein The Old Blood:

28CC92DFD6961A7EC78714E35A9DF27856B011D3

Sjukob

Arcane
Aliens vs Predator 1994
This game man, they clearly cared more about getting players to spend their money on arcade tokens... I got to the last level and the game really shows a lot of bullshit design in it's second half.
Firstly the damage enemies deal is absurd - you can be killed in 4-6 hits (or even 2, some bosses hit that hard) and there are a lot of enemies for you to kill, plus you have to spend some time comboing their asses, but they can just close in and slap you for full damage in single hit.
Secondly enemies have amazing reaction and attack properties, sure you have some time to attack first but it's a short window, 80% of enemies attacks have no delays and come out very fast so you can't even react to them (there are aliens that spit acid at you from half a screen away and it hits you for 1/5 of your health, this attack comes without any warning), advanced enemies have more reach than you and even faster reaction, it's especially noticeable at second boss. Sometimes I get hit out of "dash" moves that allow you to cross the entire screen at a second, but enemies still react fast enough to hit you out of them.
Thirdly grab mechanics are annoying, you should be familiar with it's principle - you get close to the enemy and you grab them, but when you are fighting off hordes you don't fucking need that, the moment I accidentaly grab somebody I'm instantly hit by other enemies because grabs don't give you any protection (oops 1/5 of life gone). There's also a problem when there are a lot of items on the ground and you character starts picking them up instead of attacking the enemies, since you also pick up items by pressing attack button, argh.
And lastly you can't run (although dash moves allow for great mobility) but what really sucks is that you can't travel Z axis at great speeds, you can only walk and it really fucks you up in battles, it's especially insulting that some enemies can do that.

Encounter design is fucking excellent as well. The game tries to own your ass as early as level 2 (it's only going to worse from there) the boss of this level is a lighting fast motherfucker that outranges you, dashes across the screen (and jumps you out of the screen) and kills you in 4 hits, but it's not really a problem compared to what comes next. At level 4 they introduce ambushes, basically enemies charge at you out of the screen, unless you know it's coming you are going to get hit (that's 1/4 of your life) and still have a horde of monsters to kill. The fucking alien queen - the boss of that level is pure retardation, I searched for some videos where people that are better than me beat this fucking game - nobody kills that boss legit, because it's impossible. She attacks at both directions simultaneously and you can't even sidestep her attacks because they have such an amazing reach, lol. Some guy killed her by using a disc, but it's RNG. Later levels have same shit but at greater quantities, although bosses aren't as retarded. I rage quit final level though, didn't get to the boss, might do it later.

fba64-2019-04-15-20-55-53-77.png

fba64-2019-04-15-20-50-59-12.png

Alien queen abuse - stand on the crates so she can't attack you.
fba64-2019-04-15-21-24-22-99.png

fba64-2019-04-15-22-20-39-70.png

fba64-2019-04-15-22-52-35-39.png

fba64-2019-04-15-22-53-22-26.png

fba64-2019-04-15-22-34-12-79.png

Sjukob

Arcane
Well I did it ... kind of. The initial idea was to beat the game with single coin saving only at the beggining of the level, instead I was saving before bosses as well, and I used second coin to beat alien queen because I couldn't stand the bullshit design.

The final level is really long and hard and fucking cheap ! It's a run for survival basically, you are going to fight a ton of aliens and soldiers, the game will throw everything at you, some enemies that appeared as bosses previously will come back and you will have to kill them several times during this level. You aren't given much of health pick ups either. Ambushes are fucking everywhere and the problem of not being able to fight because there's so much shit on the ground is at it's highest. The quintessence of this crap is, of course, alien queen herself and she's as cheap as her previous incarnation. Hoho it's a final boss, players are feeling the upcoming victory time to milk them for coins !

To start with she can not be hit stunned and that means you are essentially cut off from doing any standing combos because she's just going to hit you back and you can only take like 5 attacks before dying, she also has a lot of hp though developers were king enough to place some powerful weapons nearby, with their help you can deplete like 60% of her health bar but still it's not that simple and in the end you can't really avoid melee. The queen also summons other aliens and oh boy there are a lot of them, yes they have reduced hp (not all of them) but they still inflict full damage and use all of their moves. What's really bad is that queen moves pretty fast so you can't really run away from her and kill other aliens, you also shouldn't lose her from your sight because she has a ranged and a jumping attack which are going to fuck you up if she uses them off screen. Her most devastating attack - tail impale that takes 70% of your health bar, she uses it when she summons her suite, not really hard to avoid but she chases you for a pretty long time which really hampers you when you try to fight off aliens, oh and don't forget the great grab mechanics ! It's so fucking sweet when the horde of xenos drops right on your face, you unwillingly grab one and she immidiately impales you because you are locked in place.

Another problem is that the game features hit stop, it's when you character slows down somewhat when hitting enemies, in the last fight it can fuck you up badly. It's not rare for aliens to stack up in a big pile near the queen and if you do a jumping attack the hit stop is so long that it gives queen enough time to finish the attack that she missed then turn around and smack you.

And the sad thing is that when I used the second coin, I somehow killed her without even putting effort, I was frustrated and wasn't thinking about tactics and she just died pretty quickly, she was almost at full hp when I used additional coin and I only took 2 minor hits. Oh well, really fun game nonetheless, I wish they weren't trying to milk players for tokens though.

fba64-2019-04-17-22-29-15-79.png

fba64-2019-04-17-23-47-32-95.png

fba64-2019-04-17-23-47-37-67.png

fba64-2019-04-18-00-13-18-05.png

fba64-2019-04-18-00-14-04-48.png

fba64-2019-04-18-00-14-58-44.png

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anno 1800 (Open Beta)

BBD41C6216B13524A8DF44EAE42D4EEEA9283BA4

Really glad they are going back to their roots, even if it feels a bit like you have done it before. Still, really enjoyable to play. And yeah, they are holding an open beta currently on Uplay.
And then your friendly mars citizen raged after his island was purged after losing his dock warehouse. hehe:rage:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Modron is correct. It's a virtual planetarium that can be explored with FPS style controls. It does also have Spaceship and Aircraft modes but I'm not sure what they entail, there is no traditional gameplay. Me, I just use the Freelook mode to sperge around the universe.

I'm currently not using any mods except for the official HD Solar System add-on.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I did the same using a similar program back in the day. Celestia, I believe it was called. Good times... It wasn't really beautiful in the same way, but my early 2000s self thought it was pretty fucking cool.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I did the same using a similar program back in the day. Celestia, I believe it was called. Good times... It wasn't really beautiful in the same way, but my early 2000s self thought it was pretty fucking cool.
Oh, I remember Celestia, I played it a lot at university during my computing classes, trying in the meantime to understand how to properly use Linux where it was installed...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom