Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Sentinel

Arcane
If by "using the same tactics" you mean "combining pretty much half of your repertory", then yes, sort-of?

No i mean you just run them towards the wall/corner and keep smacking them until they use their special attack which you either counter dodge or jump over. Rinse and repeat until they are dead.
Would you be willing to apply this same criteria and logic to past FromSoft games and say they all have shit bosses?

If by "using the same tactics" you mean "combining pretty much half of your repertory", then yes, sort-of?

No i mean you just run them towards the wall/corner and keep smacking them until they use their special attack which you either counter dodge or jump over. Rinse and repeat until they are dead.
Ah, yes, you "just" need to be aggressive, have a good timing, use the appropriate counters when required and do it consistently for long enough to beat the fight.
Seems like you solved the puzzle. It's basically the same as doing some mindless one-button mashing, except with more variations and drawbacks.

Would you be willing to apply this same criteria and logic to past FromSoft games and say they all have shit bosses?
It would be interesting to learn what games don't, according to him and by applying the same meter.

Atchodas

Augur

Never said this game has "shit" bosses its just that you can beat most of them with same tactic.

and to answer to the other butthurt fella :

Essentially any game where you need to use different tactics on every boss has better bosses than Sekiro, since in Sekiro every swordfight can be beaten in same way.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

Never said this game has "shit" bosses its just that you can beat most of them with same tactic.
And what would that make the bosses?

Sentinel

Arcane
Essentially any game where you need to use different tactics on every boss has better bosses than Sekiro, since in Sekiro every swordfight can be beaten in same way.
So are you willing to say that Sekiro has bosses on par with every Miyazaki FromSoft game then?

Atchodas

Augur
So are you willing to say that Sekiro has bosses on par with every Miyazaki FromSoft game then?

Dark souls games had better bosses than Sekiro.

Early DMC games had better bosses, havent played new ones so not sure about those

Nioh had better bosses

Issue with Sekiro bosses is that you can beat all sword fights in one way and its the right way to do it otherwise you digging yourself a hole so they get repetitive after first 5.

Sentinel

Arcane

Dark souls games had better bosses than Sekiro.

Early DMC games had better bosses, havent played new ones so not sure about those

Nioh had better bosses

Issue with Sekiro bosses is that you can beat all sword fights in one way and its the right way to do it otherwise you digging yourself a hole so they get repetitive after first 5.
I don't know about DMC, but you're 100% wrong about Nioh and Dark Souls. As per your criteria, a game with good bosses is one where you need to use different tactics on every boss. You can beat every Nioh boss with the exact same tactic depending on your build, and in Dark Souls there isn't even a choice - you iframe spam through every attack, attack once or twice, and repeat.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In the first Dark Souls, you can just use magic and easily nuke almost everything, bosses often included.

DS2 was more balanced in this regard, whereas DS3 was absolute garbage that I hated and regret ever playing. I only finished it because I was duoing it with a buddy while on voice chat.

fork

Fucking retards ITT. The point is that there's exactly one way to play Sekiro, especially against bosses, whereas Dark Souls allows several, all of them more or less equally viable. That's simply a fact. Style-wise, some of Sekiro's bosses are cool as fuck and fun to fight, but the fighting mechanics of that game simply are extremely one-dimensional compared to Souls. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a fact nonetheless.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Fucking retards ITT. The point is that there's exactly one way to play Sekiro, especially against bosses, whereas Dark Souls allows several, all of them more or less equally viable. That's simply a fact. Style-wise, some of Sekiro's bosses are cool as fuck and fun to fight, but the fighting mechanics of that game simply are extremely one-dimensional compared to Souls. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a fact nonetheless.
After having played Sekiro finally, I don't agree with this. Prosthetics ended up being a more interesting form of 'magic' that goes beyond Dark Souls projectile spam magic. I played a Sorcerer in every Dark Souls game and felt the disappointment of it every time. Even the weapon variety in Dark Souls doesn't wildly change the way the game is played, you still have the entire game based around rolling and movement, punish when able. Sekiro has movement, sprinting, blocking, deflection, jumping, and sidestepping all of which are used with regularity in each battle and which more than one can counter combos/moves.

I can look up any video of people fighting Sekiro bosses and find them going about it quite unlike the way I did or anyone else did. I'll take Sekiro's combat over Dark Souls a thousand times over.

Ivan

Arcane
Saved this for last after I had an itch to replay the Souls series. The animation work, color palette, and ambient music stood out to me the most. I remembered loving the break-neck speed of the action, but this time I was able to savor more of the aesthetics I feel. I'm doing a 2nd run charmless and see how I fare. I've noticed that the ogre's grab already 1 shots me. Let's see how bad endgame bosses go.

Star Citizen

Learned
The level design, light stealth mechanics, movement, tools, freedom of approach to combat verticality offered + how the game progresses was more than enough to break any feel of repetition the use of a single-weapon could have had for my smoothbrain. Yeah you're going to pick and repeat what works for you by the end but acquiring/learning what does is also a part of the journey.

fork

I cannot believe how dogshit FromSoft's composers are.

You must be fucking retarded; not a rare occurrance on the Codex nowadays mind you.
If anything, From's gameplay and level design are declining. Elden Ring is their last chance to turn around that trend.

fork

All of them. Starting from King's Fields, Shadow Towers, Kuon, and all Dark Souls. The worst music I noticed in all these games was inoffensive, unremarkable, and those were single tracks. Overall, I would describe From's soundtracks as fitting, atmospheric, very good, and that includes Sekiro. Music is the least of From's problems, imo.

Sentinel

Arcane
I don't know about Kings Field, but Dark Souls 1 was not scored by a FromSoftware composer. Motoi Sakuraba is a free lancer. Bloodborne had 6 composers and only 1 of them was employed by FromSoftware - who was humiliated by the work of the others.

Sekiro is composed solely by Kitamura (FromSoft's composer) and the soundtrack is just dogshit in every aspect. Even Nioh 2 which doesn't really put the focus on its music had a better japanese soundtrack.

fork

Well, that's turning into quite the academic discussion, isn't it? I'm talking about the music which appears in FromSoft titles, whether they're employed by FromSoftware directly or external contractors is absolutely irrelevant. And I think Sekiro is one of From's weaker titles, but the soundtrack is still way above average.

Sentinel

Arcane
Well, that's turning into quite the academic discussion, isn't it? I'm talking about the music which appears in FromSoft titles, whether they're employed by FromSoftware directly or external contractors is absolutely irrelevant. And I think Sekiro is one of From's weaker titles, but the soundtrack is still way above average.
Is it? You were replying to my comment which was specifically about FromSoftware's composers.

fork

"Well, that's turning into quite the academic discussion, isn't it?"

Apparently so. Start a poll asking people if they care whether the music is done by internal employees or external contractors.

Well, I'd prefer the music to be done by employees, but I'd also prefer FromSoftware to be an independent studio rather than be part of a huge entertainment conglomerate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
I have no idea what you're even talking about lol.

All I said is that FromSoftware's composers are absolute dogshit, implying they should hire a competent one. I don't care who does the music, as long as they do a good job (ie. Bloodborne).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom