Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. ExposedBrainMatter Educated

ExposedBrainMatter
    More like Suckiro lmao. Sengoku era Japan is even staler than generic medieval Euro fantasy at this point. God I hope Elden ring tries to be a little more original.

• Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Someone has issues x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Maybe so. But it sucks as an only/main way of playing.
    Its a game FFS. Its meant to be fun.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Well, the game just has some of the best boss battles I've ever experienced in 30 years of gaming.
    But sure, let's listen to autism and whine about how it fails to be fun.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Matador Arcane

Matador
    We can't understate how great bosses Sekiro has. I agree they are some of the best boss fights in history.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas

But you can own any human boss using prety much same tactic?

^ Top  
  6. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    If by "using the same tactics" you mean "combining pretty much half of your repertory", then yes, sort-of?

Then again "playing the game well" in this context means dispatching the bosses quickly and efficiently, not nibbling at their posture/health bar slowly and awkwardly across a battle of attrition.
    The game constantly asks to the player to parry, dodge, jump, counter and eventually make use of the appropriate tool for maximized results.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Definitely it sounds like I'm waaayyyy too old for this.

• No No x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Cuphead>Sekiro

• No x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Hassar Scholar

Hassar
    No. I’ve studied kendo and rapier fencing. That is the opposite of what you want to do because your sword will be damaged by constantly smacking it against another piece of metal. I think Bushido Blade had the closest system to what you’d want to do when dealing with a pointy and/or edged weapon that could slice off your fingers if it hit your hand wrong or result in a fatal stab wound. And I am not even trouncing on the game system as bad per se - it is just not evocative of what you want to do or what you see in fencing or sword duels online. It is just very obviously a gamified approach to making combat more exciting than the cautious and explosive high-stakes combat you see IRL.

https://youtu.be/QV8AxhnLklg

Kind of like how many games tend to forget that getting an arrow to the body is pretty lethal, but game systems abstracts weapons to have some damage range. Game systems in general prefer excitement over more risky, cautious combat. But my point is just that no matter how abstract you want to get, Sekiro doesn’t indicate what you’d want to do.

Sekiro’s posture system is more similar to the shield technology used in Star Trek. I understand what they were doing with the posture system, but I think the lethal punishment from a single error system used in certain From games via certain builds is way closer than what is essentially a damage forcefield that you have to deplete before registering damage to the actual health bar.

I think this is why people who like fighting games like DeS or DaS describing the combat as impactful and weighty, but don’t use those terms to describe Sekiro, describing that system as floaty and strangely unresponsive more akin to a rhythm game than combat system. Nidhogg 1 might be a great example of abstraction, as well.

Ironically, Sekiro has elements of a really good abstraction of the combat system, but only boss characters use it when their punishment of the character knocks an HP bar down super fast. But their HP pool is so large it just becomes an HP sponge, war-of-attrition type deal.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Nifft Batuff Cipher

Nifft Batuff
    Bosses are trite and unfun. They were already trite and unfun in the old arcade coin-ops.

• Participation Award x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • No x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    No i mean you just run them towards the wall/corner and keep smacking them until they use their special attack which you either counter dodge or jump over. Rinse and repeat until they are dead.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Would you be willing to apply this same criteria and logic to past FromSoft games and say they all have shit bosses?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    Ah, yes, you "just" need to be aggressive, have a good timing, use the appropriate counters when required and do it consistently for long enough to beat the fight.
    Seems like you solved the puzzle. It's basically the same as doing some mindless one-button mashing, except with more variations and drawbacks.

It would be interesting to learn what games don't, according to him and by applying the same meter.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    Never said this game has "shit" bosses its just that you can beat most of them with same tactic.

and to answer to the other butthurt fella :

Essentially any game where you need to use different tactics on every boss has better bosses than Sekiro, since in Sekiro every swordfight can be beaten in same way.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    And what would that make the bosses?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arcane

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    So where's this fucking list of "better games bosses", before the awkward spergfest drags few more posts?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    So are you willing to say that Sekiro has bosses on par with every Miyazaki FromSoft game then?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    Dark souls games had better bosses than Sekiro.

Early DMC games had better bosses, havent played new ones so not sure about those

Nioh had better bosses

Issue with Sekiro bosses is that you can beat all sword fights in one way and its the right way to do it otherwise you digging yourself a hole so they get repetitive after first 5.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    I don't know about DMC, but you're 100% wrong about Nioh and Dark Souls. As per your criteria, a game with good bosses is one where you need to use different tactics on every boss. You can beat every Nioh boss with the exact same tactic depending on your build, and in Dark Souls there isn't even a choice - you iframe spam through every attack, attack once or twice, and repeat.

^ Top  
  20. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    But only in sekiro you can corner every human boss and spam it to death with 2 buttons.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    You can do the equivalent of that in Nioh and Dark Souls as well and you know it. Or you don't, idk if you've played either of them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    In the first Dark Souls, you can just use magic and easily nuke almost everything, bosses often included.

DS2 was more balanced in this regard, whereas DS3 was absolute garbage that I hated and regret ever playing. I only finished it because I was duoing it with a buddy while on voice chat.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    Fucking retards ITT. The point is that there's exactly one way to play Sekiro, especially against bosses, whereas Dark Souls allows several, all of them more or less equally viable. That's simply a fact. Style-wise, some of Sekiro's bosses are cool as fuck and fun to fight, but the fighting mechanics of that game simply are extremely one-dimensional compared to Souls. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a fact nonetheless.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Artyoan Arbiter

Artyoan
    After having played Sekiro finally, I don't agree with this. Prosthetics ended up being a more interesting form of 'magic' that goes beyond Dark Souls projectile spam magic. I played a Sorcerer in every Dark Souls game and felt the disappointment of it every time. Even the weapon variety in Dark Souls doesn't wildly change the way the game is played, you still have the entire game based around rolling and movement, punish when able. Sekiro has movement, sprinting, blocking, deflection, jumping, and sidestepping all of which are used with regularity in each battle and which more than one can counter combos/moves.

I can look up any video of people fighting Sekiro bosses and find them going about it quite unlike the way I did or anyone else did. I'll take Sekiro's combat over Dark Souls a thousand times over.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Saved this for last after I had an itch to replay the Souls series. The animation work, color palette, and ambient music stood out to me the most. I remembered loving the break-neck speed of the action, but this time I was able to savor more of the aesthetics I feel. I'm doing a 2nd run charmless and see how I fare. I've noticed that the ogre's grab already 1 shots me. Let's see how bad endgame bosses go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.