Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Sounds more interesting. I don't think this will compete with Nioh 2 now that it's not really an RPG.

Neither was really Nioh. These are just action games with very deep customizations and options.

Either way, I welcome Sekiro's new approach. The Souls-formula, while seemingly revolutionary in its heydays, is getting stale.

praetor

Arcane
This is starting to sound awful. Meh. For me it'll come down to how they handle the open world, but I've got little faith in that aspect. And honestly, even if it is actually open and not linear, without rpg mechanics that'll be fairly meaningless since there's no consequence of going to one area before another- your stats and gear will remain the same.

lol. Illiterate Registrations strikes again. just like he doesn't play the games he comments, he doesn't read the articles.

it's explicitly stated that a) there will be new gear to discover in the levels (add-ons for your prosthetic arm) and b) there's a "currency system" like souls/echoes used for upgrades (and who knows what else). it'll likely be even more metroidvania-like as you'll likely need to find specific gear to access specific areas of levels (this is just my guess)

paintinggrey

Scholar
So no different types of armour or weapons, or stats. Jesus quoting pc gamer " As I said, Sekiro is not an RPG", fuck.

So we have vagabond onimusha all the way through the game.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is not an RPG. There are no stats to level up and no armor or weapons to collect and equip. There are no classes to choose from.

:dead:

Wow. Talk about a cold fucking shower.

Holy shit, my most hyped game since January...so crestfallen now I'm going hollow.

paintinggrey

Scholar
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is not an RPG. There are no stats to level up and no armor or weapons to collect and equip. There are no classes to choose from.

:dead:

Wow. Talk about a cold fucking shower.

Holy shit, my most hyped game since January...so crestfallen now I'm going hollow.

Activision, coincidence? me thinks not

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh shit now it hit me - those three FromSoft games we've all been hyped for....

They are
1. 3D platformer
2. a mech game
3. a weird VR-only game

It'll be years before they announce something new, something Bloodborne or Souls-like related.

:negative::negative::negative:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This is starting to sound awful. Meh. For me it'll come down to how they handle the open world, but I've got little faith in that aspect. And honestly, even if it is actually open and not linear, without rpg mechanics that'll be fairly meaningless since there's no consequence of going to one area before another- your stats and gear will remain the same.

lol. Illiterate Registrations strikes again. just like he doesn't play the games he comments, he doesn't read the articles.

it's explicitly stated that a) there will be new gear to discover in the levels (add-ons for your prosthetic arm) and b) there's a "currency system" like souls/echoes used for upgrades (and who knows what else). it'll likely be even more metroidvania-like as you'll likely need to find specific gear to access specific areas of levels (this is just my guess)
Yeah, or it'll be nuDOOM with 1 melee weapon and a bunch of shitty gimmick items to get through gimmick totally not doors. I'm just dying to acquire the torch upgrade so I can light the torch sconces that create a magic bridge and then not use it again for 6 hours. Then I can get the umbrella so I can jump down the one really long cliff in the game.

lol at that butthurt :lol::lol::lol: muhh stats and xpoints. Not that long ago people were bitching about having 5 Souls games in 7 years and were praying for something different. It seems the only difference you were looking for is a new setting.

I, for one appreciate Froms honesty and direction they took. Single player experience without half assed coop/pvp for twitch/youtube crowd.

Honestly pure action adventure game >>>> action rpgs when it comes to combat, weapons, enemies, bosses, level design, platforming etc.

DMc > dragons dogma
Severance > Gothic
Binary Domain, Vanquish > Mass Effect

Lets not pretend that we played Froms games for well written dialogues, c&c and branching quest lines :lol:

We are going to have Sekiro for Ninja Gaiden/Onimusha/DMc fans. Probably with some horror twist in the setting.
Nioh 2 for another diablo loot grinder with old Souls games mechanics.
Ghost of Tsushima for open world "realistic" simulator of samurai with shitty assassins creed combat.

sullynathan

Arcane
Lets not pretend that we played Froms games for well written dialogues, c&c and branching quest lines :lol:

Or level design, or character development, or itemization, or secrets, or lore, or quirkiness, or atmosphere or co-op, or PvP.

Mindless akshun was the main selling point, everybody knows that. That's why DS3 was the best.
They can have level design, itemization, secrets, "lore", quirkiness and atmosphere without muh "rpg" elements, PvP or co-op.

Great action exists, they don't have to be stuck with souls-style gameplay forever.

Last edited:

Or level design, or character development, or itemization, or secrets, or lore, or quirkiness, or atmosphere or co-op, or PvP.

Mindless akshun was the main selling point, everybody knows that. That's why DS3 was the best.
Level design in Sekiro: open world similar to DS1 with lots of verticality and secrets. They talk about that in that e3 interview.

Level design, character development, itemization, secrets, lore, atmosphere are not restricted to pure crpgs you fucktard. More often than not those elements are lacking in modern crpgs.

And wtf is supposed to mean quirkiness? How many memes your game creates ?

What makes Sekiro mindless action game? Are DMc, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden now mindless clickfests ? Spoken like a true retard.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You may not have noticed this, but we don't have hundreds of pages of DMC theads kicking around. The things that made the souls series good were not it's similarities to other 3D action games, pretty much all of which have gimmick items alongside an unchanging main weapon and incredibly slim progression mechanics and an emphasis on combat.

And pretending 'open word' is anything more than a vague buzzword is laughably optimistic. How many games have pulled that claim out of their ass only for people to discover a few hours in that they're totally linear with only trivial dead-end sidepaths?

And pretending 'open word' is anything more than a vague buzzword is laughably optimistic. How many games have pulled that claim out of their ass only for people to discover a few hours in that they're totally linear with only trivial dead-end sidepaths?
plenty but not Dark Souls 1 by FromSoft and Miyazaki. You know the same guys behind Sekiro :smug:

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's really courageous to get rid off the whole formula but since it's designed around only one weapon I think we may see something great

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The RPG element of souls games is incredibly weak and I don't get why anyone would give a shit for them. Offensive stats don't really matter too much in a NG run, they can add some decent amount of scaling damage in the end game but I've always found it matters more for the DLC bosses than the main game. Defensive stats are also so-so, particularly in DS3 where they cap really fast and hard. You basically just want enough vigor to avoid being oneshot by the strongest attacks, which you get really soon in the game because it's 27 vigor for 1k HP and it's the first soft cap. Going from 27 to 40 only gives you 200 more hp. Going from 40 to 60 gives you 123. I'm not complaining, by the way, it is a good thing to cap this shit because it stops people from farming levels to make the game easier. But it does mean that to a great extent, stats are meaningless. You get the optimal, most useful and game changing amount of stats upgrade during the first third of the game. After that you just keep pumping whatever scales with your weapon of choice.
I didn't mention mage stats because the option of playing magic ranges from boring easy mode (DS1, DS2) where you just keep pew pewing missiles at range to borderline useless in DS3 considering the low damage for stats investment and cut in estus.

Level design, character development, itemization, secrets, lore, atmosphere are not restricted to pure crpgs you fucktard. More often than not those elements are lacking in modern crpgs.

When you put all that in the same sentence I can't help but think "hollow knight". Some of the best itemization (charms and their unique effect on playstyle), unlockable abilities that are almost always useful in every context and not just for getting to new areas, amazing interconnected levels with secrets..

Gerrard

Arcane
borderline useless in DS3 considering the low damage for stats investment and cut in estus.
Yeah, if by "borderline useless" you mean "completely broken". You don't need to heal if nothing ever has a chance to hit you.

Arnust

Savant
From stepping away from souls formula is okay.
We still have The Surge 2.
Right? right?
On that, STILL NO FOOTAGE OR TRAILER DESPITE THERE BEING A BOOTH IN E3 :argh:

Do so little people care that nothing is going out, or...? Wait, don't aswer that...

Arnust

Savant
Do so little people care that nothing is going out, or...? Wait, don't aswer that...

Some people are just happy the new Activision game is not an RPG anymore.
I was refering to Surge 2's worrying lack of coverage but sure, yeah. Ah and it's gonna be on PC only on Battle.net, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom