Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sell me a First-Person Shooter.

Curratum

Wolf 3D and its clones are completely obsolete thanks to Doom. Incredibly restricted single-plane 2D level design doesn't allow for much variety compared to Doom's introduction of height levels. Anything pre-Doom is obsolete and only a historical curiosity at this point.
The problem with Wolf 3D is that it is a hitscan fest which heavily promotes doorfighting. There's almost zero enemy variety and primitive level design. Doom would have been equally boring if it had only hitscanners.

That's why I love Quake's Arcane Dimensions mod so much.

No hitscanners at all. Just projectiles.

Hitscan is a shit mechanic.

Hitscan has its place, I mean, there's tons of things you can do to balance it and make it fun. Let's not try and pretend that modern-era shooters with modern-era hitscan / supersonic round weapons can no longer be fun.

Citizen

Titanfall 2: high speed popamole goodness.

Pros: Incredibly enjoyable Tribes-inspired movement, but with even more verticality, good gunplay (especially if you reject popamole hitscan guns and join the projectile CHAD BRIGADE). The best Capture the Fla mode in history of FPS. High skill ceiling, so prepare to get destroyed by oldfags in multiplayer. Cool single player campaign.

Cons: Titans (the game is better without them), dying multiplayer due to low player count, so most people just play the most basic popamole mode with titans and not the :obviously: CTF

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just Cause series seems right up your alley, it's basically like being in 80s action movie. Over-the-top action and exploration of gorgeous environments all in one package.
The Just Cause games are fun, but as first person shooters they leave something to be desired IMO.

I’ve always found RtCW overrated; it’s not bad, but it’s graphics have aged poorly and I don’t think its environment art was ever particularly good, and it has a few sections that seriously drag. 7.5/10 for me, but, considering pretty much every monocled FPS enthusiast disagrees with me, perhaps the fault lies not in our stars.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I’ve always found RtCW overrated; it’s not bad, but it’s graphics have aged poorly and I don’t think it’s environment art was ever particularly good, and it has a few sections that seriously drag.

I disagree about the art, but the graphics have indeed aged poorly like all games that used that engine. It would be a good candidate for a remaster imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom