Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Glaive

Literate
I have no idea what I am doing. Take pity on a benighted console gamer and explain to me the numbers behind SitS, (1d6, 2d3 and so on). I realize that they refer to dice (and maybe the number of sides the dice has) but I'm still finding rather opaque.

OK, so 1d6 means one roll of a 6 sided die. So basically, 1d6 means 1 to 6. On the other hand, 3d4 means 3 rolls of a 4 sided die, which ends up being 3 to 12 (1 to 4 + 1 to 4 + 1 to 4).

Then you have numbers like 2d4 +2. So that means two rolls of a four-sided die, plus a flat 2 bonus. So that ends up being 4-10.

And 6d1 just means 6, 4d1 just means 4, etc.
Thank you.

Mortmal

Arcane
Does anyone know where and how to get the native horn???
Think I got it from some fight with natives, early. Its not needed to visit every places in hallowed grove , I wouldn't worry about it .

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
ok guys, are there any spells apart from blood coccoon that are worth investing in? i'd reallyreally like to use more magicks than the obvious healing spell but I am wary and don't want to lose any points on useless shit.

in other news, i've stumbled upon the goblin king and was raped horribly by the thousands of his lackeys. very gud.:greatjob:

Mortmal

Arcane
ok guys, are there any spells apart from blood coccoon that are worth investing in? i'd reallyreally like to use more magicks than the obvious healing spell but I am wary and don't want to lose any points on useless shit.

in other news, i've stumbled upon the goblin king and was raped horribly by the thousands of his lackeys. very gud.:greatjob:
Searing light is quite ok now when theres many enemies and it worked good on harvesters. Blood fiend for crowd control, it makes enemies attack one of their own . All of this never beat getting min maxed melee characters although.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Spells are mostly useless. Except some spells that are totally overpowered, like Amplify.
I would like our dear devs to overhaul the spells system for expansion/next game.

Channeling for spells needs to go except for some truly powerful ones like mentioned Amplify. Also synergy bonuses need to exist like in Diablo 2 LoD where lower levels spells even if not actively used give bonuses to similar higher level spells because the current system promotes spell use at lvl 0 and rush to most powerful spell. Another way to balance would be to make lvl 2 spells cost 2 points to level and lvl 3 spells cost 3 points to level (after removing channeling and buffing their durations a bit).

fanta

Arcane
Are attribute points more valuable than skill points in this game?

At character creation it is possible to create additional characters. Is this option a secondary one for those who don't want pre-made companions like Adventurer's Guild in PoE, or is making them more of a necessity?

PirateScum

Augur

Goblin King and I became bros after I presented him with Viorica as his new slut slave (that's what you get for plundering graves... espescially after my minions dig them up already, such stupidity shall not go unpunished... also drained her strength and empowered myself with it, she won't need it where she's going), he even gave me a gift in exchange.
Though after GK was gone, the chicken clucking really annoyed me and I had to bring peaceful silence back into the cave.

It's hard to be a god.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are attribute points more valuable than skill points in this game?

At character creation it is possible to create additional characters. Is this option a secondary one for those who don't want pre-made companions like Adventurer's Guild in PoE, or is making them more of a necessity?
You don't need to create additional characters but you can if you want to abuse game mechanics (like making one to give you a Crest for Nobility skill and another one that you drain of stats with your Imp). I just started with my guy, got two NPCs early to join and got two more later.

As for Goblin King, I murdered him and all his kin with my 3 member party after a few tries. Sent Catalina up front and kept buffing and healing her with my main while Vilhelm used Radiant Stave and Arcane Attack + Elixirs to kill them all.
There is no fireball in the game but Elixirs do well enough :D

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Holy shit... that's actually incredibly useful... WHERE THE FUCK DO I GET THE FUCKING HANDBOOK :negative:
Whalenought_Joe

I'm willing to pay for this as well.

This was an add-on for purchasing through our website. We are adding an option to purchase a Steam key on the site to get this as well. If you'd like one shoot as an email we can make an exception to that.

So is patching done? How are loading times now?

Just a small UI update patch this week with some additions, along with addressing some minor issues and fringe cases. The next big update will be with the expansion.

Load times shouldn't be different, and we'll be battling with Unity with that prior to the expansion to see what we can do. Most folks sound like it's ~10 seconds depending on the map, and some get longer ones possibly due to antivirus or memory allocation blocking communication with game data files or some random hardware issues.

Think I got it from some fight with natives, early. Its not needed to visit every places in hallowed grove , I wouldn't worry about it .

LOL finally got it. It's on a random encounter on the world map.

I wonder how many folks have gotten the companion you can get out of that ordeal!

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't have SSD and my loading times are much longer than 10s. Closer to around 30s per loading screen.
BTW, options to load in background and use Vsync are not seen in options until you load a game or start a new one.
And what is the difference between Low and High Vsync ?

roshan

Arcane
BTW, a tip for ranged characters: The first tier skill "Reckless Offense" works with missile weapons and gives the damage benefits of the third tier skill "Giant's Pull" AND the dodge benefits of the first tier skill "Agile Fighting". 2 skills in one, and with no penalties. Pretty damn awesome way to pump your ranged damage! The only reason to pick "Giant's Pull" would be if you have Reckless Offense maxed out already and want to do more damage.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You should just max harbringer and summon your own goblin horde with the summoning item you can find near the prison in lumen targ. No enemy is powerful enough to defeat a swarm of chicken-riding goblin warriors!

Darkion

Augur
Load times shouldn't be different, and we'll be battling with Unity with that prior to the expansion to see what we can do. Most folks sound like it's ~10 seconds depending on the map, and some get longer ones possibly due to antivirus or memory allocation blocking communication with game data files or some random hardware issues.

Indeed. For me the loading screens are up for just around 5 to 6 seconds, just enough to read the game tip and that's it.

Glaive

Literate
I don't have SSD and my loading times are much longer than 10s. Closer to around 30s per loading screen.
BTW, options to load in background and use Vsync are not seen in options until you load a game or start a new one.
And what is the difference between Low and High Vsync ?
Out of curiosity, I timed loading and it was frequently 50 to 60 seconds.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

For level 1, I'm finding radiant stave and fearful light very useful. Radiant stave, you just plop on the ground and go about your business with all your enemies affected by a debuff. Featful light is basically a normal aoe fear spell. Enemies scatter. This is a bit annoying because your melee characters chase them, but well worth a group of enemies just running around like idiots.

Festering ooze is pretty good but you have to work to set it up and it will effect your dudes too.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Serpent in the Staglands:
Lumen Targ Disaster

My party was having some trouble with a band of thugs in town due to taking them on at a less than optimal level.
Kited them up to the prison to enlist the help of the Constable. Constable helps but then starts whaling on us (flask splash or killing townspeople? not sure what the reason is). Not wanting to kill or be killed by the Constable I had the party exit at the world map hoping that maybe things would calm down in town after a while. While running for the border the ENTIRE town starts chasing us. Settlers, Arbiters, shopkeepers...all. Party makes it out alive, heal up and return. All is calm but Constable and the smithing brothers have disappeared and have not returned after couple of days. I realize I should have re-loaded after they did not reappear. There might be too many bugs to go back that far atm as my party has cleared a couple of large areas waiting to see if the Smithy would get back to working.

Just a heads up to people who might kite enemies to neutrals or allies by accident or intentionally...

Overall a fairly enjoyable game so far. Other bugs and the periodic hiccups during combat are detracting from the experience. If combat is going to be RTwP fine but having combat grunt and groan as it plays out isn't optimal. Will be watching the finalization of the game with interest. Was wondering why the game wasn't more finely tuned but now I know it is Unity that explains a lot. Very impressive what a couple of talented people of vision can do with it.

Mortmal

Arcane
Holy shit... that's actually incredibly useful... WHERE THE FUCK DO I GET THE FUCKING HANDBOOK :negative:
Whalenought_Joe

I'm willing to pay for this as well.

This was an add-on for purchasing through our website. We are adding an option to purchase a Steam key on the site to get this as well. If you'd like one shoot as an email we can make an exception to that.

So is patching done? How are loading times now?

Just a small UI update patch this week with some additions, along with addressing some minor issues and fringe cases. The next big update will be with the expansion.

LOL finally got it. It's on a random encounter on the world map.

I wonder how many folks have gotten the companion you can get out of that ordeal!

Well I didn't get the companion . I am pretty sure I missed quite a few of the content, probably not the only one . There's some ruin in ista cale I could not open too. But tis ok, so many years of mainstream, the mind gets duller and when I encounter a decent puzzle the brain is all rusty....

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just a heads up to people who might kite enemies to neutrals or allies by accident or intentionally...

I was trying to outrun a bunch of wolves in Wood's Edge since I didn't feel like fighting them... Well, obviously that didn't work, so I turned around to make my stand.

The wolves ran past me, went inside the hermit's house and mauled the poor fellow to death.

roshan

Arcane
Just got to the Rumin Ruins, and found the Codex monsters!!! They can one shot me, but I can one shot them too! Looks like I'm going to have good fun kiting with my archer build. And it will let me test how effective strafe is.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am doing fights in Fighting Pit in Lebez and I have terrible time targeting enemies there. The cursor does not want to change into a sword icon unless I find precise pixels. Did anyone else experience this?

Another possible bug is Eclipse stays on characters even after you cast something else. That allows you to put it on all your melee characters and get multiple healings during combat. Also on occasion it stays on even long after battle is over and only goes away after resting or changing areas.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom