Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Multi-headed Cow

Actually I am guessing Jordan decided and broke up what extra parts they wanted to add, and then did the cost analysis, and then broke them out into stretch goals. That way when the funding stops, they know exactly what they will or will not be doing. I think that works rather well.
Possibly, it just seems odd that they would make individual party member side quests seemingly so expensive to produce. Even if you don't believe that each jump in stretch goals equals the cost to make something, having a side quest for a baseline "The game will have this character even if Kickstarter fails" character at $500,000 seems off, given they added such a pile of side quests (And engine and general gameplay mechanic improvements) going from Dragonfall DC from vanilla. Not even saying this as though they're up to no good and they're going to make a shit game or anything, it just feels more like they're using Kickstarter as an early preorder and hype builder as opposed to "We need this money to make such and such game". Since obviously they don't "Need" the money since they said they're making it even without Kickstarter, they just want Kickstarted bux to make it better. And better in this case is seemingly on-par with the jump to the Director's Cut in that it's adding party member side quests and a few engine/gameplay enhancements.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
A bunch of the new stretch goals are this game related, a bunch would benefit any further campaigns (and would benefit DMS and Dragonfall if they ever got ported back)

What makes you think that futher campaigns wouldn't just revert to the Dragonfall baseline? This campaign didn't have any companion quests as base rewards, so anything that's a stretch goal this time might still be a stretch goal next time.

kazgar

Arcane
What makes you think that futher campaigns wouldn't just revert to the Dragonfall baseline? This campaign didn't have any companion quests as base rewards, so anything that's a stretch goal this time might still be a stretch goal next time.

I was trying to say that things like improvements to the matrix, and cyberware skills, and foci, and a potential astral plane are things that improve the base game and would be included in any further expansions. (might be a interesting mod job in trying to port DMS to the hong kong engine)

I agree that "stretch goals for companion quests" would probably be a standard thing if it works as well as it seems to be going in this one, which is a bit of a shame.

Weird that Gaichu's sidequest is up before Racter's. Hope Racter has one and he doesn't betray the party or something. He looks batshit, I like it.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gotta get to 700k now. Daddy needs his matrix revamp!

Also Ghoul teammate! In the sourcebooks, they have to eat 1 pound of metahuman flesh every day (or was it week? fairly frequently at least) to live. I wonder how HBS intends to portray that. Hopefully not by taking the pussy way out and ignoring it entirely or making him a magic non-flesh-eating ghoul.

On the topic of why the companion missions are so expensive to make - they aren't!
They're priced at $50k because that's what all the goals are at. For example: If we assume Gobbet, Is0bel and Gaichu's side missions cost $10k each to produce, that means there's $170k for the matrix revamp.
That's why there's a lot of "filler" stretch goals. They're there so people can get excited about new stuff about to be unlocked at a steady pace (and hopefully coax more people into donating to meet a goal), while still gathering enough finds for the additions that are more expensive to develop.

Weird that Gaichu's sidequest is up before Racter's. Hope Racter has one and he doesn't betray the party or something. He looks batshit, I like it.

Duncan's isn't even up there yet. I wouldn't read too much into it. :P

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also Ghoul teammate! In the sourcebooks, they have to eat 1 pound of metahuman flesh every day (or was it week? fairly frequently at least) to live. I wonder how HBS intends to portray that. Hopefully not by taking the pussy way out and ignoring it entirely or making him a magic non-flesh-eating ghoul.

I have a feeling that's what the "but his loyalty comes at a price…" is referring to.

Mieron

Novice
In for 75 so far, hoping to up that to 100 at least if they tack on add-ons.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
We can only hope. Morally questionable teammate would be fun. Ignoring the flesh-eating and doing something lame like just hitting you with -2 reputation points like when you dragged Viconia along would suck.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That stated specifically the tablet platform was limiting the game. So they decided to ditch that format and focus only on PC. Thank gawd. NOW we can have larger levels.

Also, think of how this could boost the modding community when they don't have to do so many workarounds anymore!

Tigranes

Arcane
The additional stretch goals do seem at least to address my concern about gameplay revamps. None of the specifics about summoning or whatever sound particularly inspired, but it's good that they're being fairly specific. I guess I'll chip in $15 later if the campaign needs it.

Certainly the Matrix revamp is overdue - it's really tedious in its current state.

Stompa

Arcane

Here's hoping we're gonna deal with Tamanous this time around, canniballistic organleggers are always fun.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played first Shadowrun... Preety nice but too many flaws. Dragonfall is other story. Incline is strong with it. If it will be so głód AS Dragonfall... They gotta have money .
:takemymoney:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Here's hoping we're gonna deal with Tamanous this time around, canniballistic organleggers are always fun.
The moment a player goes "Let's try to get in touch with Tamanous" is the moment your campaign is irrevocably derailed. Especially if he's standing with his knife out over the cooling corpse of a cybered-up security guard.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Anyone think that those companion side-missions are cheap stretch goals?

I mean they were added in Dragonfall: DC, but to not have them in from the get-go seems kinda lame.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yes.

I mean they were added in Dragonfall: DC, but to not have them in from the get-go seems kinda lame.

Yes and no. The char stretch goals should come with their respective sidequest. How retarded would it be if a npc was funded but their story/sidequest wasn't?

So far this is one of the reasons I haven't pledged yet. It's only day one though. When I see another substantial stretch goal like revamped matrix, I'll be in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In my day, companion NPCs weren't expected to come with mandatory "companion sidequests":mrfussy:

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's at 700K

Haha. Yeah, I know. I meant something else that is as substantial as that one. :)
In my day, companion NPCs weren't expected to come with mandatory "companion sidequests":mrfussy:

Heh, true. Things sure have changed. And, personally, I wouldn't complain about it if they hadn't set the precedent in DMS and DF. It just doesn't look good on the stretch goals, if you know what I mean. Edit: I think I'd just rather see the companion and their quest together and them asking for 100k for that stretch goal.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
My guess would be they are conservative, careful and realistic regarding the extra amount of work they will take on, having probably already quantified what they can do till the projected release date.

This would fit the modest initial goal and would lead to a maybe underwhelming but realistic stretch goal list, including the inevitable filler. But also with a few substantial goals (matrix revamp!) mixed in.

Since KS has lost a lot of the initial craze this is probably a good way to use it today. Really Ambitious (=insane) stretch goals (remember the x-level dungeon in DOS - we're at level 23 now !) which put far too much pressure on the work schedule, release date and probably lessen overall quality are a thing of the past i guess.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

They're there to make sure the stretch goals are evenly spaced out in $50k increments. A $50k add companion, $50k companion mission, $50k matrix overhaul sequence generates more buzz than $10k companion, $15k companion mission, $125k matrix overhaul. People like it when they're almost at the next stretch goal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom