Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun: Hong Kong Pre-Release Discussion [GO TO NEW THREAD]

How much HBS is going to get for his Hong Kong campaign ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caconym

Augur
My rulebook says their average height is 2.8 meters with an average weight of 225 kg.
2nd edition best edition, it has that magical 80's vibe. And trolls were big motherfuckers. :lol:
They were and are big motherfuckers, I'm just saying they're not 4m tall giants. :) At least not the average troll = the majority.

This is a direct quote from 2nd edition:
Trolls measure 2.8 meters and weigh 225 kilograms.
(3rd edition at least included the word 'average'.)

eXalted

Arcane
Sorry, I can't remember. I read few of them as a kid and then later downloaded a megatorrent with all the books. It was pretty short though. The plot in all simplicity was that the mainchar was hired to track down a missing student. She turned out to be a corporate heiress for one of the big corps and had been kidnapped by another shadowrunner team who handed her over to the BTL guys who kept her drugged up while they made the videos, in order to first blackmail her dad and then to discredit them and make the whole corp look bad. IIRC, shit really hits the fan at that point because the Corp in question wants to make the whole embarrassing thing to go away, so everybody gets a hit squad after them. I don't remember too many details, except going yuck when they described one scene from the BTLs. Imagine a Jap interracial scene except the negroids are triple the size and have horns if you want to.

Rule 34, I summon you!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MATRIX UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong/posts/1317355

So that's how the new Matrix looks and sounds, but how does it play? Well, we've revised a lot of Matrix systems and added some really fun new stuff such as Watcher IC and Blocker IC which really ramp up the tension of diving into cyberspace and provide a much greater variety of gameplay than before. We'd love to go into more detail but - every minute we can spend testing and polishing the game right now is vital. We hope to tell you more about Matrix gameplay in the coming weeks, or you can see it for yourself on August 20th!

One other thing - we know everyone's anxious to get their keys, so we also want to let you know we're in the process of getting keys and other rewards into your BackerKit accounts. Watch for an update soon announcing that they're available, and for a general status update on the various Kickstarter rewards.

Note that your keys can't be delivered to your account unless you've answered your survey. You can head to the SRHK BackerKit page to double-check that you've answered your survey, or email them at support@backerkit.com if you need any help.

- HBS

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
Matrix stuff has been really, really boring, even in Dragonfall. A big part of it is that it was effectively a solo side mission, and they always had to balance it so it would be possible to do everything with Blitz even though a cyber-focused PC would then crush it, and Blitz had like a 65% chance to hit shit so you had grueling multiple turn stretches of whiffs, violating the "if it can't be very interesting, at least make it quick" guideline.

PotatoElemental

Educated
Looks like I'm gonna have to roll a decker this time.

I hope they do companion progression right this time and the decker party member won't be horribly unoptimized no matter what you do. I already rolled a decker/smg in DMS and a pure mage in Dragonfall and I plan on something completely different this time around.

Maybe a cybered-out street-sam.

Starwars

Arcane
Don't think it's Everest's best pieces so far but it's *leagues* beyond the original Matrix track.

What a lucky find he is for HBS though. His work is really good overall, can't wait to hear the rest of the soundtrack.

Athelas

Arcane
My main complaint about the Matrix was that it played like the combat, except less fun (single character, unlimited healing), and with the added absurdity of computer programs hiding behind chest high walls. This looks like it's largely the same, though it seems stealthing through is now possible, which would be a big improvement.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks nice visually, this animation is garbage though.
a0d64eff2f63dc0f7c3ccf41b2c5db23_original.gif

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Matrix stuff has been really, really boring, even in Dragonfall. A big part of it is that it was effectively a solo side mission, and they always had to balance it so it would be possible to do everything with Blitz even though a cyber-focused PC would then crush it, and Blitz had like a 65% chance to hit shit so you had grueling multiple turn stretches of whiffs, violating the "if it can't be very interesting, at least make it quick" guideline.

Yeah, the only interesting matrix sections were the ones where you're fighting in meatspace simultaneously. That introduced some tension to an otherwise boring gameplay segments. I doubt we'll see massive improvements with Hong Kong, but with a sequel I'd perhaps try to make the matrix gameplay more puzzle-like (think Commandos etc.) and depending on stealth (with a brute force approach still possible, if a lot harder).

It'd also be nice to meet, talk with and fight other deckers while you're in. Adding C&C would also go a long way - as it is you often have just enough time to acquire all secondary and primary objectives with a relative ease. Making it that you'd have to choose which of the secondary objectives you want to fulfill would add replayability as well as introduce interesting gameplay choices.

Alfons

Prophet
I hope they do companion progression right this time and the decker party member won't be horribly unoptimized no matter what you do. I already rolled a decker/smg in DMS and a pure mage in Dragonfall and I plan on something completely different this time around.
Almost. They should optimize all the teammates. Anyone remember the spec ops sniper that couldn't hit shit with her sniper until you got about 3 missions in?
Make it like

That looks cool as fuck. Is it any good?
Edit: Oh, it's multi. NVM.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
The problem is that all of them are dual"spec" so to speak. Eigar is both sniper and shotgunner but also wastes points on grenades and what else. Glory wastes points on melee combat, pistols and being a medic. Blitz is of course the worst one, being a mediocre decker, mediocre rigger and a crap combatant on his own. Shammy dude focuses enough to be good throughout the game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep. In my first playthrough, Blitz had (falsely) convinced me that riggers are absolutely useless.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
My main complaint about the Matrix was that it played like the combat, except less fun (single character, unlimited healing), and with the added absurdity of computer programs hiding behind chest high walls. This looks like it's largely the same,

That's true. I haven't really minded the relative lightweightedness of the matrix combat, though, because there's plenty of more involving combat in the game and it might've just made a mess if it was made more heavyhanded. It would be better if the matrix was more about puzzle solving and perhaps time management - different ways of bypassing the obstacles, programs and firewalls, what ever, with the tools and methods at hand with the character build - than fighting the IC's (which I think should be the last resort and perhaps even the least optimal, even if fastest, way).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom