Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadowrun Shadowrun modules

Jackalope

Arcane
I spend the last couple of hours gently nudging props and walls, trying to align everything together... And now I tested it ingame. So I'm kind of mad. Seems if you have a prop and a wall on the same tile, the prop gets this nasty black shadow. It's really, really frustrating. I don't know if there is an actual solution to this, other than just placing the props 10 miles from all nearby walls. Who needs a sofa, a refrigerator or a cabinet next to a wall, anyway? Arrrghhhh!!!

I'm beginning to think the guys who made this editor had no idea what they were doing.

almondblight

Arcane
The open one that is trying to be a CRPG on the workshop right now feels terrible and out of place to me.

I assume you're talking about Life on a Limb, but honestly, that's just a poorly made module all around. It's somewhat worrying because the guy behind that is also behind the Shadowrun Identity project as a whole.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, it's rather ambitious and he's clearly learning the ropes of the editor while making it. He's also constantly updating it.

Problem is mostly that design wise it's rather poor. Do hope he starts cleaning it up a bit. Especially the amount and quality of a lot of the conversations. Cringeworthy is too friendly a description.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'd like to see an arena type mod, like in the SNES Shadowrun, in the car yard.
That was fucking fun.
Would be amazing with the turn based combat, some structures thrown in for cover, some additional weapons like light machine guns.
Gain Karma and Nuyen for each victory!

Psquit

Arcane
Wow they have a dragon for president... thats awesome.

Had. He "got killed" the night after he got elected. Then the world read his lat will and testament and a billion plot hooks were born.

Actually he sacrificed himself to stop eldritch horrors crossing over to this world after some aztechnology big shot pulled off some major blood magic ritual. No, not bug spirits. Those are just nuisances compared to the kind of drek a toxic shaman, winternight or dedicated blood mages will stir up. And horrors are cthulhu mythos levels of you're fucked.

Where i can read all that shit with details?. Good stuff.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
My favourite part of Shadowrun were always the sourcebooks describing all the weird shit you could put in your body. I'm unsure whether a computer game could really do that stuff justice though.

And LoaL is just terrible. It uses the worst possible dialogue system: spoken-as-read text with DA2-style tone indicators. Makes me feel like I'm playing a game for the severely autistic.

(flirtatious) Hey cutie, whatcha doing?

(theatening) I'm gonna bash your face in!

(inquiring) Can I ask you a question?

(professional) I'm here on a professional matter.

Anybody who OKs that dialogue system has no business writing Shadowrun campaigns.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's not necessarily D&D but what I think Jaesun means is that people seem to want that same ol' structure. Get main quest that sends you from point A to B, in-between you do a bunch of sidequests in the area, after you do that you move to the next hub to turn in main quest, rinse and repeat until you finish the game.

bonescraper

Does that mean Baldur's Gate was structured like a D&D PnP session? :retarded:

It's cRPGs we're talking about here. All i want is quality modules that stick closely to the Shadowrun lore. I don't care about their structure, as long as there's good stuff to choose from.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well I care about the structure. A SRR module to me is ideally like:

Full party creation/import (hopefully it's possible)
Fixer puts you in contact with a johnson and you get the mishun
Legwork bit where the decker does his thing hacking for info CIA style, you go around after contacts, pay for info, gear up, scout it out, etc. P. open and with C&C that stays through modules
The run propa where you go to the place and do whatever it is you have to do. Lotsa shooting and decking and shit then gtfo like the bit in the OC when you go steal the Aegis but harder and longer (hue). Rewarding good preparation in the previous stage
Get paid and call it a night OR shit hit the fan during the run or you don't get paid or something else happens and the plot thickens

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

A 50 hour PnP session where you can say "I want to just wander off into the wilderness for a couple of weeks" to your DM and he responds "Okay, you run into Drizzt killing a couple of gnolls. He hasn't seen you yet, and you're within bow range of him on the other side of a deep lake. Do you want to kill him?". But basically, yeah, a PnP session.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wut

A 50 hour PnP session where you can say "I want to just wander off into the wilderness for a couple of weeks" to your DM and he responds "Okay, you run into Drizzt killing a couple of gnolls. He hasn't seen you yet, and you're within bow range of him on the other side of a deep lake. Do you want to kill him?". But basically, yeah, a PnP session.
:lol:

NotTale

Learned
I'm having trouble filling the huge rooms this game kind of has to have with nonsense.

Are you just having problems figuring out the details to make it look nice? It'll come with practice and looking at how other people put theirs together.

Also don't try to make the rooms too huge, and take an "late in, early out" philosophy. If you can't keep 3 rooms interesting, cut it down to two.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Wow they have a dragon for president... thats awesome.

Had. He "got killed" the night after he got elected. Then the world read his lat will and testament and a billion plot hooks were born.

Actually he sacrificed himself to stop eldritch horrors crossing over to this world after some aztechnology big shot pulled off some major blood magic ritual. No, not bug spirits. Those are just nuisances compared to the kind of drek a toxic shaman, winternight or dedicated blood mages will stir up. And horrors are cthulhu mythos levels of you're fucked.

Where i can read all that shit with details?. Good stuff.

There were some novellas (but with a horrible mary sue) about the events that lead up to it. There was a sourcebook (Dunkelzahn's will) that dealt with the aftermat. It was basically a large book full of plothooks.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Now THAT was funny. :lol:

The rest I agree with. :salute:

EDIT:

Full party creation/import (hopefully it's possible)

I disagree with this. In the way it is now implemented, you only have a list of other Shadowrunners. You do not know their motivations, really know if they trustworthy, or will they stab you in the back at some point. A GOOD module would expand on this.

Shadowrun is not a happy shiny everything goes right magical happy fantasy land. It is rough, cruel, you do not know who to trust, or when you will die. And you will die.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Are you just having problems figuring out the details to make it look nice? It'll come with practice and looking at how other people put theirs together.

Also don't try to make the rooms too huge, and take an "late in, early out" philosophy. If you can't keep 3 rooms interesting, cut it down to two.

Right on. I just mean never done isometric modding before, so getting the room size and decorations right is proving slightly tougher than I expected. I'll figure it out as I go, I'm sure.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would have liked to see weapon modifications, personalization.
Also, did Smartlinked guns have ANY effects?
I feel like they didn't, but it was so late in the game that I got one I might not have noticed.

Unwanted

Bobbles

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Yeah, full party creation would take a lot away from the strengths of the setting. I mean, even the frigging OC tutorial recognizes this.

Besides, with the current complexity of the skill system, it would probably be too easy to min-max a good party of four and then never roll anything else again.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I think my favourite thing about the genesis shadowrun was the multiple johnsons/runners/contacts and all their procedural missions. The fact that you could tell one to take his mission and shove it up his ass, leave, and find work elsewhere was great (asking the same guy for 20 missions until he gives you the one you wanted was stupid though.) Having people all over the place constantly offering runs made the city feel so much more alive. It's one of the key differences with a DnD setting. It makes no sense to walk into a random city in forgotten realms and expect some guy in a tavern to send you off to kill beasties or clear out a tomb. But it makes sense in shadowrun. Obviously this doesn't work out in PnP because your DM isn't going to set up dozens of different runs and johnsons and contacts for you to meet that you never make use of, but that is one of the greatest strengths of a crpg and it fits Shadowrun like a fucking glove. The fact that if I want to do a matrix run I can go into 4 different bars looking for deckers, asking them for references to contacts and other deckers, where to get equipment, and info about the run I'm on is fucking awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom