Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Shadowrun Returns Via Kickstarter

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
^
|
That's the SNES version of Shadowrun.

Whoohoo! My first game t-shirt since... fuck, Revenant! I was just saying a few weeks ago that I had a hankerin' for some dystopian cyberpunk action. Totes :incline:

Aeschylus
They indicated that they will be basing it largely in the 2050 era of the SNES version so it should contain many elements that people liked from it, such as the conversation system.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Shadowrun is my FUCKING FAVORITE SETTING OF ALL TEIM!!!!111 I already am backing this. Turn based, 2D AND Level editor? FUCK YES. 2012 the year of motherfucking INCLINE.

This. After more than a decade of shit, gaming is inclining because it's being taken back from the suits into the hands of the nerds that make and love it. Biggest renaissance in gaming and even a fucking triumphant return of turn based rpg's. Fuck the haters.
I.WANT.TO.BELIEVE.

Still, nothing has actually... you know... come out yet o_O

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Still, nothing has actually... you know... come out yet o_O

Brian Fargo has more than enough experience to make sure he'll get it done. So does Schaefer. FTL is already playable and fun. Will there be stinkers, failures and scams? Doubtlessly. Does crowdfunding take the power from publishers and give it back to the devs and public? Yes. Is this a good thing for gaming? Fuck yes!

Will this be a success? The crowdfunding will doubtlessly be as it's done by the guy who came up with Shadowrun and considering how popular Shadowrun has always been. Will the game be good? We'll see.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright, I backed this thing on the recommendation of all my bros here :bro:. I'll see how this one plays out and retract my pledge if I need to later. Like I said, this one doesn't hold any nostalgia points for me but I want to support turn-based gameplay in as many games as possible.

This thing has almost reached %50 funding already. I guess it is popular.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gritty cyberpunk setting with hackers, trenchcoats and designer drugs with a shitload of magic, elves and orcs tossed in for good measure. Back then way back in the 80's it was both radically new and amazingly hip. Many nerdgasms are being had right now.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ I always found Shadowrun to be more quirky and camp than "Gritty", but that word has been so abused at this point that I'm not even sure what it means anymore.

Stabwound

Arcane
The SNES version is one of my favorite games. It's not exactly :monocle: material but it's one of the better console RPGs. One of the few of the era that was western developed, too. It is more like an adventure game with RPG elements and cool atmosphere.

I agree that kickstarter fatigue is starting to set in, though. Way too many old people crawling out of the woodwork with their forgotten IPs. Not that resurrecting these old franchises is a bad thing, but there's only so many $100 bills people can throw at hopes and dreams.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I pledged 15$ but I am tempted to upgrade to 30,that short story antohlogy sound pretty good

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
^ I always found Shadowrun to be more quirky and camp than "Gritty", but that word has been so abused at this point that I'm not even sure what it means anymore.

Shadowrun was first marketed and seen as being rather dark. In the 80's and early 90's we weren't jaded enough to have 'gritty' turn into quirky.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Shadowrun was first marketed and seen as being rather dark. In the 80's and early 90's we weren't jaded enough to have 'gritty' turn into quirky.

Compared to Cyberpunk and Berlin XVIII, Shadowrun did seem campy. Because of the fantasy elements.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Hmm, the OP might be a bit misleading.

It says that it is being made for "PCs and mobile devices", which is a codeword for cellphones. Making a game for both cellphones and PCs seems like a sure sign it will be terrible.

But what it actually says is "(Apple & Android tablets and PCs)". I really don't have a good understanding of the user interface constraints involved in these tablets, but it certainly seems like they would require significantly fewer UI tradeoffs compared to putting a game on a freakin' cellphone. I believe that some real games have been successfully ported to tablets without the UI being too terrible? Not sure.

I'm still not giving them any money due to the mobile device angle, but I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand like I would with a cellphone game.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Yeah anyone here familiar with tablet games? Are there any good games for tablets? Making a game for a tablet and PC sounds like it will be a bad game to me.

Johannes

Arcane
Why is it such a short period? They could get more money if they had at least extended it until the beginning of next month, when people get moneys again.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As I wrote on the other thread - CUMMING BUCKETS!

Also, this guy is also responsible for such gems like, I don't know,

BATTLE TECH - MECH WARRIOR - CRIMSON SKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will donate towards this one too. Seems they know what they want and I like what I hear (well except that mobile platform thing). I want a gorgeous 2D rpg (not too cartoony), and the setting seems very interesting to me... :incline: They don't seem too greedy, and want to kick it forward, so they can't be all that bad... :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Oh come on, Shadowrun was always seen as hilarious by some - the mix of trolls and cyberpunk sat well with some and was silly for others. Just as it is now.

Also, why is FTL not turn-based? The gameplay looks fucking confusing in real time. Wish I could try the demo.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Hmm.. maybe they have bills to pay at the end of this month? I'd rather not think so, but it's a plausible explanation for the short time period... :(

Also 80's cyberpunk feels rather dated in general these days. Many technologies went in a different direction than authors envisioned back then.

I recently came across one of the earliest Shadowrun novels. It has a hilarious sequence where the protagonist is preparing to run away from his life in the corporate arcology. He can only bring one back, so he carefully goes through his picture album and takes out the few pictures that are most important to him :lol:

Alex

Arcane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun

General synopsis on the past PnP setting.
Are they following the PnP rules set/ system or going for the SNES/ Genesis feel? Did the console versions use this rule set/system?

As Jaesun said, they haven't said it specifically (I think). But I thought the video implied they would use the 2nd edition of the rules. I am specially anxious to see how they will implement the different realities together (virtual reality/astral world/real world). In the P&P game, players can enter the virtual world to try to take over almost any system inside a company. S, you have the obvious stuff, such as opening locks and taking over turrets, but there is also the sneaky stuff, such as making the air conditioning go haywire or stopping all elevators so the security team is delayed. Meanwhile, the astral world can only be seen by spellcasters, but the creatures and things in there can sometimes affect the real world. Heck, there is a lot of other things, as the game is filled with different, interesting archetypes. From people who rely in social contacts to people who fuse with heavy vehicles such as planes and tanks.

Johannes

Arcane
+ your character will start the game with a SPECIAL ABILITY only available to backers
+ you will also get the IN-GAME DocWagon benefit of a fully-armed emergency ambulance or chopper to save your team of runners when the drek hits the fan. Note: This is an in-game service only. No armed medical extraction team will actually arrive at your home.
What is this derpy shit though :decline:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
+ your character will start the game with a SPECIAL ABILITY only available to backers
+ you will also get the IN-GAME DocWagon benefit of a fully-armed emergency ambulance or chopper to save your team of runners when the drek hits the fan. Note: This is an in-game service only. No armed medical extraction team will actually arrive at your home.
What is this derpy shit though :decline:

Yeah these annoyed me too but you can always choose not to use them I guess

Alex

Arcane
Johannes

I really hope you will be able to buy the services of a DocWagon in game with in game money, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom