Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened remake from Frogwares featuring the young Sherlock from Chapter One

Wunderbar

Arcane
Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Frogwares is working on their next game. Some kind of horror/mystery somewhat in the vein of Sinking City, with a limited scope due to their economic situation in Ukraine. No hard info except what's below.

I like what I see. Thanks for spotting this Wunderbar.

VbIW.gif
HYPETRAIN x 1

7ZSVTmU.jpg

nqn58w6.jpg

iROzqKO.jpg

Frogwares just announced a new horror adventure. Unlike their two previous games, this one will be tighter, smaller-scaled and more streamlined.

Looks like they are going to reuse Lovecraft-themed marine assets of The Sinking City.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
It would be a shame if they can produce the game with a "great storytelling and mystery" but it would've turned out a walking sim due to circumstances.

SumDrunkGuy

Make The Sinking City but trim most of the fat (99% of the side missions) and you have a damn fine game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This will feature the young Sherlock from Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One and will reuse assets from that game. I'm guessing it will have some combat?

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I liked the original game that they're "remaking" (?) here, but it really could go either way at this point. Hopefully better than this recent ish Call of Cthulhu game which I thought had some good ideas but ultimately failed and had a pretty uninteresting plot.

ferratilis

Magister
It's a pre-emptive strike to deflect potential criticism. "It's not our fault the game is shitty, there's a war going on. Please give money."

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Tobey fairy, being in an active war zone would be like the one excuse I could accept for a game's development to be so troubled that it noticeably affects the final product.
"Sorry, our main code writer got drafted and died miserably in a ditch. We had to get creative."

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Tobey fairy, being in an active war zone would be like the one excuse I could accept for a game's development to be so troubled that it noticeably affects the final product.
"Sorry, our main code writer got drafted and died miserably in a ditch. We had to get creative."
Except they're in Kiev drinking smoothies, it's Donbass that is the warzone. IT doesn't get drafted because they have money to give a bribe.

It's a pre-emptive strike to deflect potential criticism.
No, they do it for the love of playing a poor victim, while underplaying that nazi tattoo on twitter.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Yeah sure but the rusia will get there eventually, won't they?
The project doesn't seem like it'll be finished exactly over night either.
As best I can tell they want to remake the entire thing from ground up in new engine and potentially add new stuff.

Nah, not yet another modernist SH reimagination. Mixing Doyle and Lovecraft isn't very appealing to me, to say the least. I'm also not that much interested in how the relationship between the two guys developed according to the imaginations of the devs and their post modernist origin psychology obsession. And by reflecting all this I again come back to the same point as every time they release a new game: I still don't get it why they couldn't build on the very solid and authentic experience they created with Crime and Punishment. This one actually felt like SH, felt like Victorian London, plus the short story based narration worked perfectly and was a wonderful reminiscence of Doyle's Strand Magazine stories. It's beyond my understanding why they didn't even release additional cases there. I normally hate DLCs but if they'd sold additional cases as DLCs I'd most definitively have bought them all.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just put it together. They absolutely nailed good horror atmosphere in Sinking City (even people who didn't like that game all said "the atmosphere is great but"). Sherlock is an established character that people like, including the recent Chapter One version. A horror Sherlock game should be the best of both worlds. Excited I can get on board now as a kickstarter backer.

Zombra

Patron
Most of the Kickstarter updates so far have been the usual money and stretch goals talk, but this one is worth seeing.

Experience Sherlock’s descent into madness with our insanity puzzles​

Michal Napora
Collaborator
August 15, 2022
The Awakened, being a Lovecraftian game, features certain psychological themes such as fear of the unknown and mental decay. Sherlock is up against an entity beyond human comprehension, which causes him to slowly descend into madness as he gets closer to the grand reveal.
In the game, we want to convey that feeling through both story and gameplay. Our team designed what we call insanity puzzles that seek to implement four core concepts:
  • A dreadful atmosphere of madness, loneliness and hopelessness
  • Otherworldly environments
  • Counter-intuitive and illogical solutions that require thinking outside the box
  • Feeling of satisfaction and relief when each puzzle is solved
b8364a5a01b036d77fee7a337beaf58e_original.png

Each puzzle will present a clear goal (i.e open the metaphoric door to get out), but the rest is up to you to figure out.
The puzzles will be getting progressively more difficult and madness-inducing as the story goes on. Furthermore, Sherlock’s appearance will also gradually change to portray his mental state which keeps getting worse.
8b30164f65b21c9791499f7c1adf7510_original.png

Thank you to all of you that have supported us throughout our Kickstarter campaign!

Zombra

Patron
3 days left in the Kickstarter. All the (modest) stretch goals have been met and thank goodness they're not trying to cram on any more. So much respect for a company that doesn't keep promising, promising, and overpromising to try to get a few more bucks. Back now :)

Wunderbar

Arcane
KWaaC9Z.png

$69988. Now that's a very peculiar number. Why not $70000?

I guess 69 because, well, 69, and 88 because the devs are Ukrainians. But what about 9 in the middle?

orcinator

Liturgist
They absolutely nailed good horror atmosphere in Sinking City (even people who didn't like that game all said "the atmosphere is great but")
Lies and slander, it had an okay looking city but the second you interact with the story it becomes a bad joke.

In other news they're teaming up with the hecking Aidar warcrimerinos for their promotion, far cry from Sinking City where you can poison innocent people but can't agree with the KKK(who are here just to fight fishmen).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom