Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Avellone wanted to post freely on RPG Codex again.

Simple as that.

Perkel

Arcane
Just to add fuel to the conspiracy bonfire....

Mr. Fargo never sent any best wishes MCA in any tweets today... +M

Yeah but he did tweet something else aka "surprised" which means probably that Inxile didn't know about it.

pippin

I was just reading this
www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

I spoke to Fargo recently, however, and he had more to say - implying he intends to make something Van Buren with Chris Avellone, if and when inXile has time. (Avellone retains close ties to inXile, having been involved in Wasteland 2 and, now, Torment: Tides of Numenera.)

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. "Not yet," he replied. "But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc - a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.

Wasteland 3 confirmed to be Van Buren.
However, the project will misteriously fail, to be later acquired by Bethesda, who will give us the true Wasteland 3 we all wanted. :troll:

Perkel

Arcane
Coincidence ?

http://defamer.gawker.com/j-k-rowling-says-american-hogwarts-might-appear-in-1710066867

J. K. Rowling Says "American Hogwarts" Might Appear in Fantastic Beasts

In a recent Twitter Q&A, Harry Potter writer J. K. Rowling—who has so much money, I bet—can you even imagine—look how her skin glows—offered a few hints about certain elements of her upcoming film adaptation of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Among the things hinted at: a possible American Hogwarts.

“A possible American Hogwarts,” you’re thinking. “Now I’ve heard everything!” I know, man.Here’s what she said about the chance that Newt Scamander, played by Eddie Redmayne, might run into some wizarding American students:

Avellone X Rowling. No one expected that.

I'd prefer he work over at Double Bear.

Dead State showed a lot of promise.
Please, kind sir, do aquaint yourself with Annie Mitsoda's twitter account before making such statements. Do you really want MCA to work with her circle of friends, and making games catered to them? Indie non-binary :incloosive:games? Because that is what they will going to do, as they stated that they won't make a RPG for a while, if ever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just to add fuel to the conspiracy bonfire....

Mr. Fargo never sent any best wishes MCA in any tweets today... +M

Yeah but he did tweet something else aka "surprised" which means probably that Inxile didn't know about it.

But note he never sent a tweet such as "Good luck Chris on where ever you decide to go" etc...

Because I'm betting Mr. Fargo is squealing with glee and shouting r00fles!

Athelas

Arcane
You don't usually wish someone the best when they're about to become your colleague.

Although I probably shouldn't be nipping this in the bud, when it could lead to some massive premature butthurt.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
There's no point in Obsidian anymore. The hope for a game mostly written by MCA was the only thing that could've made them interesting considering they fail at everything else, such as gameplay.

Oh well, Avellone hasn't even truly involved himself in any of their recent major RPG releases.. so I guess that outcome was predictable.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You don't usually wish someone the best when they're about to become your colleague.

Although I probably shouldn't be nipping this in the bud, when it could lead to some massive premature butthurt.

Maybe another studio in the Zenimax family?

Ulrox

Arbiter
I was just reading this
www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

I spoke to Fargo recently, however, and he had more to say - implying he intends to make something Van Buren with Chris Avellone, if and when inXile has time. (Avellone retains close ties to inXile, having been involved in Wasteland 2 and, now, Torment: Tides of Numenera.)

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. "Not yet," he replied. "But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc - a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.

And here people are wondering what MCA is doing - obviously he's been hired by Fargo. I remember Fargo saying that his success came from making sure he had a lot of talented people around himself. Van Buren is going to be the spiritual successor to Fallout, which is why MCA has a picture on his twitter that he missed fallout.

Vault Dweller is right on the money I'd say with Obsidian no longer being fun.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
First MCA posts on Codex, then he leaves Obsidian. Coincidence?

Seriously, I totally didn't see that coming, although Avellone wasn't very active lately (after Alpha Protocol). He also did a lot of projects on the side. Perhaps these were the indications that he was already planning to leave. I hope he stays in the industry, Chris is one of a very few people who can write and design interesting quests.

Last edited:

pippin

Well, considering New Vegas used half of the Van Buren premise, what could they possibly do? Fallout 4 DLC?

Deleted member 7219

I hope Avellone stays in the video game industry. I want him to carry on making great games, and not pitching in every now and then on indie titles like FTL.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Fallout 4 programmer @ Bethesda says "See you next week" to MCA. DISCUSS!!

Athelas

Arcane
Why don't you scroll a few posts up?

That guy used to work at Obsidian, by the way.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He can join the good side (= Van Buren project) or the dark side (= Fallout 4)...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom