Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Kz3r0

Arcane
And I bet he wasn't the only one. I thought you meant it as in he'd join the Torment team specifically and do some more writing for that.
They have ended pre-production phase and entering alpha stage, besides the project lead is Colin Mac Comb, I don't see what Avellone will add at this point.

Azeot

Arbiter
Probably this is the last we hear of him. I woudn't blame him if he wanted to change his life after so many years and honestly, I hope this will help other talented writers to rise and shine. Maybe someone will be even better than MCA, who knows.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder what job he was offered. It seems that he simply wasn't doing what he wanted to do at Obsidian and it might be the reason why he left. Speculation on my part, of course, but that is what I think. I won't say the writing was on the wall, but I was wondering how he had time to be a Kickstarter goal on so many things, doing novellas and other stuff.

I'd like to say that I'm sad he left, but has he really had any large roles in the last few games released from Obsidian? He was by far my favorite writer over there and him leaving will diminish any hype I have for future games.

All I hope is that he didn't leave because of health problems.

m_s0

Arcane
And I bet he wasn't the only one. I thought you meant it as in he'd join the Torment team specifically and do some more writing for that.
They have ended pre-production phase and entering alpha stage, besides the project lead is Colin Mac Comb, I don't see what Avellone will add at this point.
Yeah, that was my initial point. I just misunderstood your post.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's quite probable the upcoming Kickstarter project Obsidian have been "secretely" working on didn't provide him with the creative freedom he might have desired. On top of that, with Obsidian hovering on the brink of non-profitability, both the growing frustration and the constant battle to keep the business afloat must have finally taken their toll.
Best of luck on your new path to success, MCA, wherever it may lead you.

Just don't bloody tell me you've left to work for Todd, of all competitors.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Speaking of Inxile... do they plan to get the Torment writing team into Bard's Tale? I mean, the ones that plan to stick to InXile and aren't just for Torment. Didn't Fargo said that they needed one game in production and another in pre-production? If Bard's Tale is the pre production title, we may see Avellone even contributing to it, anything is possible, but an Avellone led InXile title is out of the question for now I guess.

Perkel

Arcane
So Fargo is building a new dream team Avallone, Zeits, Macomb and etc. for Van Buren. Not bad. Not bad.

Yeah and they are working on Torment...
If they would get Avellone on board...

He is/was.

Avellone said:
"I woke up one day after heavy drinking last night. I looked up into mirror and i saw balding old dude. I saw dude who writes bunch of bullshit for Armored Warfare. I looked into mirror and that dude from mirror said "You are a looser", "what the fuck you are doing with your life !"...
Got drunk... again, hard.
16911640056_efef9d59c1_o.gif

Few hours later i saw post on twitter by Fargo. He started just now 3rd kickstarted project BT4 and it looks cool as fuck. Torment which i work on partially is also cool as fuck...
I looked on bottle in my hand. I saw my distorted face. Laughing at me.
I started to count.. Kotor2.. fucking star wars..., Neverwinter Night 2... meh, fuck Ziets. Dungeon Siege 3... fuck. Alpha Protocol... ff.., Fallout New Vegas... Stick of the Truth... fuck... Pillars of Eternity.. my fucking Durance and Mother... fuck.. fuck... fuck... fuck.. fuck.. hitting with head of bottle each time his forehead.
I just want to write... :sobs: hugging bottle near his head.
Noticed sound of coming message on twitter. Perkel asks when i will finish Arcanum LP...
I hate wolves ! :sobs:

After few hours he stud up, smashed mirror and headed to office.

Last edited:

Delbaeth

Learned
Do Obsidian still struggle ? Has the payment by PI been delayed to unpleasant schedule ?

Atomkilla

Arcane
Good luck to senpai. I will follow him wherever he goes. Unless he joins Todd. In that case, fuck you.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let see, first they let go, non hire again Ziets ans Saunders, they shitcan Mitsoda's work and he leaves, now Avellone goes on his own.
Seems that talent is the real hindrance to success in the game industry.
I thought they brought back Ziets for PoE?
Wut?
That's Torment.
Ziets did pre-production work on PoE helped come up with the pantheon.

m_s0

Arcane
Do Obsidian still struggle ? Has the payment by PI been delayed to unpleasant schedule ?
I doubt that'd be a factor. Avellone was probably near the top of the payroll food chain there.

Gozma

Arcane
I wonder if they're gonna shut down Obsidian after they finish what's on their plate and Chris just left early.

Perkel

Arcane
MvComb, Ziets and Avellone working on completely new project...

Best industry artists would be on suicide watch...

AN4RCHID

Arcane
He's been giving his time to side projects at other studios for a while now. I doubt this'll change much. He can always go back on a contract for an OEI project that interests him.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just to add fuel to the conspiracy bonfire....

Mr. Fargo never sent any best wishes MCA in any tweets today... +M

Ninjerk

Arcane
Just to add fuel to the conspiracy bonfire....

Mr. Fargo never sent any best wishes MCA in any tweets today... +M
Because he did it in person :hype:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom