Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So that's why he was allowed to post here recently...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
You may be assuming too much. As far as I know, there was no 'secret AAA project' in develoment at Obsidian at the time of the PoE Kickstarter (apart from Armored Warfare, which he obviously wasn't going to work on).
It's the only plausible explanation. If the MMO game was the only project, they would have put everyone on PoE, starting with Avellone. They didn't which implies that Avellone was working on something else.

InXile seems to be having all the fun these days, while Obsidian's constantly between layoffs and knee-deep in canceled projects. So what would make a truly creative Creative Director leave the company he co-founded? Assuming he isn't sick or anything of that sort, it would be an opportunity to do what he really wants.
Let's be cynical and realistic here, when a cofounder leaves a company is because:
The others forced him to leave.
Money/Management issues.
I don't think they could force him to leave. It's not the kind of company where co-owners would fight for power Highlander-style. Money/management? Possible but unlikely in the content of what we know.

The way I see it, Obsidian always struggled for survival and the struggle demanded playing it safe, hoping for better tomorrow that didn't come. Getting fucked by Bethesda didn't help either. They had too many "will work for food" games lately. KS revived inXile, turning it into a solid RPG maker (TB and old school) but made it harder for Obsidian to survive.

Athelas

Arcane
It's the only plausible explanation. If the MMO game was the only project, they would have put everyone on PoE, starting with Avellone. They didn't which implies that Avellone was working on something else.
Well, I assume the co-owner of a company has some freedom to decide what he will be working on. Maybe 'they' kept him in reserve in anticipation of an AAA project (which they eventually landed it seems, but that wasn't until much later).

m_s0

Arcane
Most importantly -now that he's no longer an Obsidian employee, does this mean he has been released from his Arcanum playthrough responsibilities?
Probably why he quit in the first place. Those wolves were to much to bear.

My guess is he probably got tired of doing whatever high-level stuff he was supposed to be doing at Obsidian and wanted to make some games again. Or at least play a greater hands-on part in making them. I'd welcome that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Obsidian employees aren't allowed to post here?

Thought it was only during the development of New Vegas for obvious bethesda reasons.

Obsidian employees can post here any time (and have).

Except in the case for when they are working on a game for Bethesda, because we are blacklisted from them (and EA).

Kz3r0

Arcane
I don't think they could force him to leave. It's not the kind of company where co-owners would fight for power Highlander-style.

Petty squabbles count too, honestly they always seemed like a cool company tho.

They had too many "will work for food" games lately. KS revived inXile, turning it into a solid RPG maker (TB and old school) but made it harder for Obsidian to survive.
There is another scenario I didn't mention because I don't think is the case. financial troubles.
Or more simply Avellone was offered a very good deal from a third party.
Time will tell.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Well, I assume the co-owner of a company has some freedom to decide what he will be working on.
Not if he has obligations and wants to keep people employed.

Feargus mentioned a while ago that Obsidian's burn rate was a million a month. Let's say they dropped it down to 600-700k. They got 4 mil or so on KS. Let's forget about KS cut for now. So at 600-700k they had enough money to last 6 months. They had to have another game in the making unless the tank game has insane budget.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Gord

Arcane
Well, that was unexpected. Wonder how it will turn out.

Edit: Well, maybe it was coming for some time now and he just waited for the right moment.
With PoE somewhat of an success, he might see Obsidian in a spot where his departure won't matter that much to them (assuming it would have, otherwise).

Athelas

Arcane
Not if he has obligations and wants to keep people employed.

Feargus mentioned a while ago that Obsidian's burn rate was a million a month. Let's say they dropped it down to 600-700k. They got 4 mil or so on KS. Let's forget about KS cut for now. So at 600-700k they had enough money to last 6 months. They had to have another game in the making unless the tank game has insane budget.
You may be surprised. Apparently Russian MMO's are so lucrative that they have ties to the mob. Also, are you forgetting that the mass lay-offs were done precisely to deal with the lack of projects?

Prime Junta

Kz3r0 Being publicly traded has nothing to do with it. Sometimes there are shareholder agreements which require people to give up their stake if they quit, but they almost always expire within a few years. I find it extremely unlikely that a founder would have such a clause active 12 years later. So whether he'll continue as a shareholder almost certainly depends on whether he'll find someone to buy his shares at a price he accepts.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Couldn't he just become a silent partner?
It's not how this companies work in my experience, besides if he wants to make AAA+ games and not just minor collaborations on indie stuff he couldn't remain at Obsidian as he won't be allowed to.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't think they could force him to leave. It's not the kind of company where co-owners would fight for power Highlander-style.

Petty squabbles count too, honestly they always seemed like a cool company tho.

They had too many "will work for food" games lately. KS revived inXile, turning it into a solid RPG maker (TB and old school) but made it harder for Obsidian to survive.
There is another scenario I didn't mention because I don't think is the case. financial troubles.
Or more simply Avellone was offered a very good deal from a third party.
Time will tell.
I think he would have stayed if money was the main obstacle. There was always the inXile path to follow - become a small company and go on KS.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
You people can't be seriously making shit up about "management problems" with Sawyer.

Avellone is one of OE founders and a co-owner. Josh is just an employee. In plain english this means the only problem Chris could have with Josh, is Josh not going balls deeep when blowing Avellone's dick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom