Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shogun 2: TW Is On The Way

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Since I'm apparently the only one awake I'll just say I'm glad they didn't move any further into the modern era. Thought Empire was shit.

That being said I wish they would have chosen a new period like Ancient China or mongol era Asia.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good news, but it will probably be broken on release and will wait few patches/mods before getting it. Shogun TW is after MTW the best game in the series, I always found the first two games superior to the rest.

As for the setting, this was to be expected since I cant really see any other time frame put in game, but would like to see an expansion for this something about rise of Mongols.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I've never played a TW game that I've actually liked. Admittedly, I've never played Shogun or Medieval 1, and from what I've heard those were the best ones. That said, TW has always struck me as an incredibly good concept marred by very poor design.

Despite the tactical battles being the star of the show, you spend the overwhelming majority of your time on the strategic map which is an absolute mess. Diplomacy is worthless, the AI is schizophrenic in its international relations and impotent as opposition, the interface is garbage -- wouldn't it be nice if the game showed you your unmoved units, so that you could move them before ending your turn? -- and the whole thing is bogged down by tedious micromanagement. Games take way too long to play as well. Seeing as how the AI can't put up a fight to begin with, a 100 hour mopping up campaign isn't exactly my idea of fun. As a matter of fact, I've never finished a Total War campaign for that very reason.

The tactical game isn't much better. Pathfinding AI is abysmal, and your units have a remarkable talent for not doing what you tell them to do -- I can't count the number of cavalry charges I ordered in which my men casually trotted up to the enemy's front line and stood there, cowlike and blinking. The enemy tactical AI is as incompetent on the battlefield as on the campaign map. Finally, so many of the battles are small scale and feel like filler. Every couple hours of gameplay nets you an interesting, important battle, but the rest of the time is spent with the monotony of the campaign map punctuated by filler tactical battles.

I like horse and musket warfare and think it's a good fit for the TW concept, but until CA can actually design a good game around their good idea, then I won't be interested no matter what setting.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its going to be total shit. MW2 and Empire has left me with no illusions. They wont deliver, only a buggy, no-AI, unfun game. Good series but now dead.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SMA, try Shogun if you want, IMO it's the best vanilla TW game (and turn Japanese voices on).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Problem is that the original Shogun was build by an entirely different CA than the CA that did bring us the shit Empire and its expansion. Expect a lot of bullshit promises followed by an unfinished and uninspired game.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Trash said:
Problem is that the original Shogun was build by an entirely different CA than the CA that did bring us the shit Empire and its expansion. Expect a lot of bullshit promises followed by an unfinished and uninspired game.
I want to hope but unfortunately I know this is true.

Stoiv

Educated
Every total war game has been complete and utter shit without mods and they're not releasing modding tools anymore so... yeah..

Shit going to suck.

Stoiv

Educated
Trash said:
Stoiv said:
Every total war game has been complete and utter shit without mods and they're not releasing modding tools anymore so... yeah..

Shit going to suck.

Shogun and Medieval were awesome straight out of the box.

Can't remember much of those games, except Kensais were op as hell.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Shannow said:
The skyway is strong in this thread.

When the complaints are valid it is not skyway its Codex. Or maybe You think that MW2 or Empire were good?

deshields538

Scholar
I am intrigued. Glad they're going back to sword and shield (although you could still get guns in Shogun 1 they weren't the main focus of the warfare).

I'd like to think that they'll "get it right" this time but after the last two games I don't know. They promised so much for Empire too and it was absolute shit.

Maybe they will get a decent AI, maybe they will make diplomacy worth a damn, maybe they will release mod tools. But after their last two games I'm not going to hold my breath. I hope I am wrong though.

Trash said:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Man, can I have a remake/new version of Shadow of the Horned Rat already??

Reject_666_6

Arcane
The scope of Shogun is a lot smaller than any other games released thus far so thy have less room to fuck up in. They will find a way, though.

Panthera

Scholar
The guy (the ONE guy) who fucked up the AI for the last three games has left the company and been replaced by a small team of AI developers. That's the only reason I have hope for this.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It wasn't the setting that made the Rome, Medieval 2 and 1700s Total War games suck so badly in comparison to Shogun and Medieval 1.

It was the Next Gen, and that is still alive and well.

So I don't see why we should expect a sudden reversal of decline just because they couldn't think up a new setting.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Stoiv said:
Every total war game has been complete and utter shit without mods and they're not releasing modding tools anymore so... yeah.
I bet they'll release them eventually for Empire and Napoleon. It was obvious they were just holding them back to make more people buy Napoleon when it came out. So probably around the time that Shogun 2 releases they'll give the modding tools since by then they'll have milked that as much as they can.

And on topic, I'm a little dissapointed by this announcement. Feudal Japan means a map with much less strategic depth and only nine factions. And this is supposed to be a good thing? I seriously don't get this obsession with Shogun. IMO the worst of the series. I can only expect that people who say it's the best let nostalgia cloud their vision or like the setting so much they overlook how rudimentary it is compared to later iterations.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Rome: TW was only good because of its originality. When I discovered that the campaign map was extrapolated into the battle map on the fly, I blew my load. (ie., not pre-rendered copypasta bullshit.) Sure, it was still rough and sparse, but fighting multiple battles around the same mountain, and seeing it from different sides, was awesome. Otherwise, I'm just as happy with a battle screen resembling this: (see image)
where the enormity of armies is implied, and not constrained to *gasp* 2500 men per team. (Don't forget the reinforcements-- you know, the ones that never show up.) Hell, if they rendered the terrain in 3D, made the groups of soldiers fluid polygons, and the gameplay real-time, I'd be as happy as I can be. I'm probably alone in my fantasies, since all this shit is not nExGeN enough to sell.
UnitIconsMod.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom