Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Codex Year of the Donut
The highest priority bug fixes were any unexpected behavior in the sales of items from the Crown Store in game.
Many of the in game items with gameplay required functionality are craft-able in game with in game items but there were premium versions of those tools/items sold for real world money.

The lot decoration system was the most developed system in game.

In the end Kickstarters helped to create
Ultimate Collector SIMs Animal Crossing Role Play Sex Dungeon Fantasy Second Life
tbh fucking hated all the lot bullshit in non-player towns
made finding things a chore, made cities slow as shit(even moreso than usual)
and most of them just looked awful so it ruined any immersion

Eli_Havelock

Learned
The highest priority bug fixes were any unexpected behavior in the sales of items from the Crown Store in game.
Many of the in game items with gameplay required functionality are craft-able in game with in game items but there were premium versions of those tools/items sold for real world money.

The lot decoration system was the most developed system in game.

In the end Kickstarters helped to create
Ultimate Collector SIMs Animal Crossing Role Play Sex Dungeon Fantasy Second Life
tbh fucking hated all the lot bullshit in non-player towns
made finding things a chore, made cities slow as shit(even moreso than usual)
and most of them just looked awful so it ruined any immersion

Sounds like you just scratched the surface of the rabbit hole of what POTs are really used for since there's no functional economy or any other real reason outside of stash space and flaunting at your neighbors' abandoned lots. They're not spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars for RMT investment. This had official endorsement. It made this post from five years previous by Lum the Mad even more funny in that topic.

World of Warcraft has one (1) Moon Guard Lion's Pride Inn. Shroud already has assets made for the occasion with official endorsement.
Catnip should just embrace the sleaze to top that market as most feature-complete and make a killing, but the problem is that they couldn't advertise it at all since they only know of Facebook ads.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Forgot to finish my tale, thanks for reminding me.

The rollback put my character nearly all the way back to when I first created it making me lose all of my progress. I quit playing after finding this out.
I enjoyed the game, but that was simply too much. Combat was surprisingly pretty fun.
What did the patch do and I thought you were playing offline?

Should i bother to get the patch?

Codex Year of the Donut
Forgot to finish my tale, thanks for reminding me.

The rollback put my character nearly all the way back to when I first created it making me lose all of my progress. I quit playing after finding this out.
I enjoyed the game, but that was simply too much. Combat was surprisingly pretty fun.
What did the patch do and I thought you were playing offline?

Should i bother to get the patch?
Was playing online, they derped their databases and had to roll them back over a month.

LostHisMarbles

Learned
It's tragic, not funny.. plain tragic.

- If you're an MMO player, of any a school, old or new and mainstreamed, this thing is such a fucking fail in all aspects, you'd be livid you paid for it.
Unless you were a total fucking retard (including but not limited to people wanting a Second Life, only with a fantasy setting).

- If you're a proper RPG player, of any an age, you realise this is a shell of one and you need to be online, in which case look above.

- If you've never touched a game in your fucking life but have some self-respect or functioning gray matter, you'd be insulted; by both the milking going on (and the pseudo-"choice" they give you of not participating in it) and the evident, shameless whale pandering.

If you're alluding to Jaesun, i don't know how faggots think, so.. you never know.
Anyway, the tragic persists.
Not just here either; there's no escapism in most games anymore, they reflect either the revisionism, bias or low standards found everywhere, today, in real life.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, you can play offline. With niche games finding a party or even those to interact with can be rare. I play EUOTOPIA and it barely has a heartbeat (about 4-6 consistent players across the 5 servers (reg having the most followed by pd). And these games can be mind numbing. I mean, I'm working on getting 6 alts to lvl 1,000 on pd but after 800 on each i'm suffering a little burn out.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Started to play again with my better PC. Now I can play without it being a slideshow. But where I can find magic merchants to buy reagents? I already found the water teacher.

EDIT : Found. But 12 gold per spell(3x4). I think that I will try to find a way to lower my reagent cost.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Played a lot, like an non lifer today and LOVED it.

My char's name is Kall Su in tribute to a character from Bastard!!. I really liked how you can cast in heavy armor but the chance to fizzle is higher. How is easy to get "base" skills and how the spell casting works.

IMO this is the closest thing to "Ultima Online 2" possible. Each level which some skills get reduces the chances of consuming reagents and its effectiveness, low level spells require no reagents, you can also "hold" an spell to cast it strenghened at higher casting time, investing into water reduces the "attunement" with the opposite element. Same with moon/sun, air/earth and so on. The design of elementals like the Ice elemental is amazing. Resistances matter a lot. Ice arrow does almost no damage vs skeletons for eg.

1yxnGOJ.png

And casting spells have an incantation using words of power. If is 1/2/3/4 words, depends upon the spell complexity. Eg.

• Basic spells require one word. Frigo - Ice first, Reno - heal and Luna - nightvision
  • 2nd tier require two words. Motus Frigo - Ice arrow, Desen Vatu - Douse
  • 3rd tier spells require 3 words. Frigo Vento Tnnitus - Cone of cold and Axsen Obix Frigo - Ice field, Quaes Obix Frigo - Ice shield
  • 4th and 5th tier spells require 4 words. Eg : Quaes Wast Vatu Xen - Water elemental, Quaes Wast Frigo Xen - Ice elemental

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It is a mmo mostly, what do your guts tell ya?
very much RT

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yeah I was very confused by this answer. A "Where to start ?" moment, before realizing there was nothing to gain in engaging this conversation.

But this is how far removed from the real world those people are.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
My first thought was "Wait, there's a drinkable version?" and remembered all of Lord Dick's fancy with cannibalism in games and his dungeon at Britannia Manor that got razed, salted, and paved over.

I wonder if his wife allows him to keep around the jars of mystery pickles for his kids to LARP with.

grimace

Arcane

taxalot said nothing about drinking the blood.
:hmmm:

Edit: Hah!

ccbWNfn.png

T5awts7.png

Garriot 'liked' every tweet that mentioned him so the Tweeter felt connected to Garriot.

Likes were not always endorsements.

The blood reliquaries were unique plaques with real blood from SotA devs. There were in game items like fountain with the waters turned red (blood fountains).

And on the topic of cannibalism, there were some players pushing the developers to let player killers use dead Avatar body parts for recipes. Collecting skulls as trophies was coded into the game as far as I remember.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Garriot 'liked' every tweet that mentioned him so the Tweeter felt connected to Garriot.

Likes were not always endorsements.

Of course, it's like whenever Richard smiles and thanks you with dollar signs in his eyes.

The blood reliquaries were unique plaques with real blood from SotA devs. There were in game items like fountain with the waters turned red (blood fountains).

That we have to explain this nutty shit to normies says all that needs to be said about the cult's levels of gone.

And on the topic of cannibalism, there were some players pushing the developers to let player killers use dead Avatar body parts for recipes. Collecting skulls as trophies was coded into the game as far as I remember.

About that...

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I've lost touch with everything that's going on. I hear they've actually started to release bits of Episode 2 : is it possible to play it for free in offline mode without spending some additional money on this ?

grimace

Arcane
unisex-basic-softstyle-t-shirt-black-front-64457314365fb.jpg

New merch?

Community member Shawn Butts has opened a Shroud of the Avatar merchandise store with Catnip Games’ approval.

grimace

Arcane

Cool story bro?
https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott
https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott

Richard Garriott​

@RichardGarriott​

Here is an almost never told story… in the L shaped strip mall that had Computerland at one end, there was a small print shop near the other end. I had the original cover sheet and manuals printed there, which my mom and I stapled together at home at the kitchen table.

When they were being printed, it was just me, and the young woman on the other side of the counter running the huge printing press. The printing press had ink, that was spread evenly before being transferred to the final roller with the image on it, by running over a series of rollers rolling in opposite directions… perhaps 6 such rollers.

While the woman was operating the press, making the Akalabeth manuals, her hair got caught in the rapidly spinning series of inked rollers! In a matter of a split second, it sucked in her long hair, and slammed her cheek into the machine.

Fortunately, she also, instinctively, reached around and shut off the machine.But, she was now pinned against the machine, deeply entangled and bleeding significantly.

I jumped over the counter and began disassembling the machine in haste. By the time we got her “extracted”, we where both covered in ink and blood. So was the print shop. But we did get her out, a few stitches were needed to patch her up.So… if you have an original Akalabeth… check it for blood and hair!

;)

Richard​

https://twitter.com/RichardGarriott/status/1645591621860220928

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom