Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Eli_Havelock

Learned
5G8O7C8.png

Codex Year of the Donut
the tl;dr(there's a LOT more than just that) is that there's been serious errors that went under the radar until they were discovered while applying the most recent patch
obviously they're bullshitting to normies with the excuses given or they'd have reset it and just kept the servers as is until fixed if it was something new. It was clearly something significant enough to keep the server down for a long time, and something that already existed in the version that was on live but went unnoticed.

my guess?
duping exploit, going by the most recent communications(mentions replaying the entire database). That's something they'd most likely do if they wanted to track down where all the duped stuff went and remove it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah were going to be basically going back to August 24th on the Live server. We will however be getting back our Gold and XP from the last time we were on Live. As well as some compensations, we don't know what that will be yet.

But for comparison, how many rollbacks has New World had (if any)?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
the tl;dr(there's a LOT more than just that) is that there's been serious errors that went under the radar until they were discovered while applying the most recent patch
obviously they're bullshitting to normies with the excuses given or they'd have reset it and just kept the servers as is until fixed if it was something new. It was clearly something significant enough to keep the server down for a long time, and something that already existed in the version that was on live but went unnoticed.

my guess?
duping exploit, going by the most recent communications(mentions replaying the entire database). That's something they'd most likely do if they wanted to track down where all the duped stuff went and remove it.
They stated they will have a stream explaining the data corruption issue, from what I am recalling, there was some corruption to property ID's in unity which was causing ownership problems. But we will have to wait for the stream with the information, as well as the contingency plan to make sure this never happens again.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Yeah were going to be basically going back to August 24th on the Live server. We will however be getting back our Gold and XP from the last time we were on Live. As well as some compensations, we don't know what that will be yet.

Enough so that it shits an entire month of gameplay? Just fucking wow.

You'd think this would get the cultists to finally look at what they're eating while their lord is everywhere else and on an NFT game.
No, they would actually keep making excuses and shit on other games until their shit goes this fucked and then cheer when they actually get shit on some more by even worse bad news.

How long have people been begging for real QA?
Are people regretting endorsing how little it took to maintain Shroud?
You do realize Chris Spears' campaign to poach from New World was regarded as a joke when he had to play through the starting scene and it turned into a QA?

You know who else loved their dance parties?

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

You'd think this would get the cultists to finally look at what they're eating while their lord is everywhere else and on an NFT game.
No, they would actually keep making excuses and shit on other games until their shit goes this fucked and then cheer when they actually get shit on some more by even worse bad news.

You do realize Chris Spears' campaign to poach from New World was regarded as a joke when he had to play through the starting scene and it turned into a QA?

Honey, this is the fucking prestigious RPG codex. Your completely fucking pathetic attempt at trolling is not even worth mine (or any one else time). Get better at trolling or get the fuck out.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

Honey, this is the fucking prestigious RPG codex. Your completely fucking pathetic attempt at trolling is not even worth mine (or any one else time). Get better at trolling or get the fuck out.

Trolling? Real questions. Screaming "troll" is the cultist way of running chickenshit from your shitting on other games while yours is a dumpster fire.

Everything I mentioned is real, and put at length by community "trolls".

If you think Shroud is going to get better with Chris Spears then you've been twice the idiot he is. He's been the bane since Tabula Rasa but you folks are too busy mining copium to have noticed.

Edit: If I were trolling...

>"this is the fucking prestigious RPG codex"
>simps shitty game that can't even verify backups to lose an entire fucking month

GTFO then? :lol:

Last edited:

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Doesn't exactly instill confidence.. I can't remember even UO having a month's rollback during the time I played (when T2A released up until Samurai Empire).

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Doesn't exactly instill confidence.. I can't remember even UO having a month's rollback during the time I played (when T2A released up until Samurai Empire).

NOBODY does this shit anymore or really ever did because there's at least one QA person with the ability to look around and figure out something is wrong with a backup and hit the panic button there, not make an entire month of revision patches and backups without any basic verification. The Shroud community have been begging the brain trust behind this shitshow for years for any QA at all besides the volunteers with cute forum titles. The other half have generally been happily oinking face-down into the muck with their asses aimed at other games and boasting about how little it takes to maintain Shroud.

Shroud was even worse when Chris Spears was making changes between QA and Live and when there were patches between updates with fixes that wouldn't be fully tested. This would require them to go back and fix again after having the fix be shown broken to them on their devstreams. This was what made the New World Poaching Show entertaining and why Chris deleted it quickly afterwards. What kind of dev references their dev streams that much and keeps deleting them?

All that slacking off and shadiness has paid back with interest. This is like UO - if the Counselors were running the QA and if it were being run by Glitchless and there was no Raph Koster. A kingdom run by an inbred cabinet of nepotism after they already failed every company and game since UO. It wasn't just UO->Tabula Rasa->Shroud. It was UO->Tabula Rasa->Facebook Poker->Ultima Collector->Shroud. If it doesn't have Facebook then Richard Garriott isn't interested.

Guess what, suckers?

ucUvyGb.png

:deadtroll: Wait for the fixes to the fixes!

ChronoGuru

Literate
This game.....

It actually had some decent concepts. And the gameplay itself was somewhat fun. But man.

I was trying to play as a mage/necro type character. Some of my spells had broken/missing sound effects and delayed animations. They still haven't been fixed to this day. And the areas themselves. I think I went to 5-6 different areas trying to find content to actually do. They were the most bland, unfinished blobs of crap I've ever played in an MMORPG.

It's a shame because the "starter zone" with the tutorial stuff was actually quite decent and really drew me in.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Those playing Bullshit Bingo can now tick off "Marvel Metaphor"

tdcrZSw.png

At least the GD forum is alive again - for now! It's like the community got back together to schism all over again.

:popcorn:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Charity sales are a thing; a developer gives money to a charity by splitting the proceeds of some cosmetic or pet. SotA innovates upon this and leads the pack once again by daring to go in reverse:

vx7R7DZ.png

"A portion of all purchases made through that link will go to Shroud of the Avatar."

Will SotA see more than the 20% Portalarium/Catnip Games usually gave to charity?
Lesser devs would give 50%, such amateurs - the extra 30% was clearly better off going to the bottom of the ocean with Richard!

Codex Year of the Donut
Forgot to finish my tale, thanks for reminding me.

The rollback put my character nearly all the way back to when I first created it making me lose all of my progress. I quit playing after finding this out.
I enjoyed the game, but that was simply too much. Combat was surprisingly pretty fun.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Eli_Havelock ... so to keep Catnip maintaining the live server remaining players are generously giving more money (with no expectation of 'rares' or re-color in game items)?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
My favorite was the water.org outhouse.
Or Shooter Jennings' something something breast cancer.

Eli_Havelock ... so to keep Catnip maintaining the live server remaining players are generously giving more money (with no expectation of 'rares' or re-color in game items)?
You should see their Twitch streams. After this community were being led along with a nice bait and switch or three, what remains have been conditioned by the begathons to just throw money in the direction of who holds the keys to the kingdom. Richard Garriott doesn't need to be involved anymore. He just sends in the retarded toadie Chris Spears blaming everything but his own stupid incompetence. That reminds me to add some things to the Iron and Magic thread.

Edit:
Shroud keeps delivering a technical clownshow for R108.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
The highest priority bug fixes were any unexpected behavior in the sales of items from the Crown Store in game.
Many of the in game items with gameplay required functionality are craft-able in game with in game items but there were premium versions of those tools/items sold for real world money.

The lot decoration system was the most developed system in game.

In the end Kickstarters helped to create
Ultimate Collector SIMs Animal Crossing Role Play Sex Dungeon Fantasy Second Life

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In the end Kickstarters helped to create
Ultimate Collector SIMs Animal Crossing Role Play Sex Dungeon Fantasy Second Life

I wonder if Garriott ever wondered at what point in his life everything went wrong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom