Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Probably. What he's going for allows him to spend less money and still draw in the UO crowd, as well as a few suckers who liked the old single player Ultimas for good measure.

But he's driving away 99% of the single player fans and probably about 80% of UO fans with the hybrid idea. It was predicable and he isn't stupid. Either it is his ego (must make something unheard of or bust) or space travel is to blame.

Let's ask Kosmonaut.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, but he is going to nickel & dime his rabid fanboys on microtransactions and the episodic content, so he'll make the money regardless.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
No way. 15 000 players just don't add up. He could potentially get the hundreds of thousands UO once had back (maybe more) with monthly subscriptions and make tons more. It isn't the money.

Stabwound

Arcane
It's all sad, really. I truly believe Garriott has it in him to create an awesome game, but this is all just a money making scheme with a nostalgic veneer to lure old fans in. He's trying to get his slice of the social gaming/MMORPG pie while also drawing in the classic Ultima fans as extra victims.

The more I read about this, the more disingenuous it seems. Fucking Garriot. I have respect for the man for his previous accomplishments but it seems like he jumped ship to "FIRST AND FOREMOST LETS MAKE MONEYZ" a while ago. I mean, I'm sure guys like Brian Fargo et al. have their careers in mind first and foremost, but they also seem to be sticking to a vision of a game they personally love designing. Microtransations and yearly DLC/"expansions" just reeks of milking a playerbase. Hell, maybe this truly is his dream game, but I doubt it. Maybe dream money making project.

I hope this business model crashes and burns. It's awful. I detest mictotransactions to the core. No one should be supporting this model.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Yeah, somebody said earlier that Garriott really just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the Ultima series and I think I'd agree with them. He had good ideas in the past and he was able to make them into games but perhaps he was never truly the genius of CRPG design some would have hoped him to be. Either that or he's just off his rocker now.

Judging from all the video interviews and stuff he seems like a very conceited guy. He was going on about all the innovations he made with the Ultima series and now he's going to reinvent CRPGs again. I think he really expects old school Ultima fans to enjoy his new game because how could they not? It's LORD BRITISH!

Stabwound

Arcane
Haha, yeah, this video going over all of his accomplishments was embarrasing to watch. Whether or not it's true, tooting your own horn and speaking about your supposed accomplishments does nothing more than make you look like a douche. I'm not sure how that was supposed to help the kickstarter campaign.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the rate of pledges for this thing? It seems, at least compared to P:E, W2 AND T:ToN, to be just inching towards their goal. It's been in the 80-85%% funded range for days now, right?

Stabwound

Arcane
They expected to hit goal on Monday, and it's been crawling along at a glacial crawl for the past few days. Maybe next Monday sounds more realistic. :smug:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the rate of pledges for this thing? It seems, at least compared to P:E, W2 AND T:ToN, to be just inching towards their goal. It's been in the 80-85%% funded range for days now, right?

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/#chart-daily
There's no way that thing is going to get CLOSE to 4.4m! I know Kicktraq numbers are unreliable but if RG thinks that might happen he's been in his castle too long.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
He might be the only developer with an alpha build who refuses to show how the game works in engine. I mean, apparently we can play a piano or launch a catapult

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
owuqZcF.jpg

I hope Mr. Garriot will appear in new Shrug Off the Avatar, it would be a poetical justice.

Stabwound

Arcane
God, I want to like this so bad, but it's like being in denial. There is probably no hope at all for this game. This is just depressing and gets moreso with every update.

Ultima is dead.

Mraston

Learned
Rock Paper Shotgun interviews Lord British;

Link.

I don't think his answers are going to put any ones concerns to rest.

Here's some highlights;

RPS: First off, why Kickstarter? I mean, you’ve kinda been to space. You also owned a castle. Have all your years of extravagant Texan hedonism finally taken their toll?

Richard Garriott: I have and continue to invest millions into Portalarium. But to properly fund Shroud of the Avatar, we either needed to consider a publishing partnership with a large distribution partner, or go directly to the players.

As I reflect on my own work of the past, my favorites are Ultima IV, Ultima VII and Ultima Online. All three of those were different enough that my publisher – often my own company – did not support or understand what I was doing until it was finished. But since I finished it “my way” I’m pleased with the results, and they were landmark successes.

But there were some games I made where our publisher forced us to ship before the product was finished and those results were never good, even though they had plenty of potential. By going direct to the players, we can not only avoid becoming beholden to outside influences, but instead build a relationship directly with players, for whom we are building this game.
Great job at dodging the question, he never says why he can't just plop a million of his own cash down on this project. Doing so would stop him being beholden to ANY outside influences and by his logic make the best game of all time.

This next one takes the cake;

RPS: Is it going to be like microtransaction-based? For things like that skill tree and smaller bits like that?

Richard Garriott: Well, the answer becomes “no” when you use the word “smaller.” Our intention is that it’s for big pieces of content and big decisions that you make. What we’re not trying to do is become a social game where, “Oh, look, if you want the blue cow instead of the pink cow, it costs 25 real cents versus 25 in-game currency.” We’re not doing that.

So luckily you dont need to pay money for small inconsqential crap like a blue cow. If you read his answer he actually says "The answer becomes "yes" when you use the word "larger". Sweet, I love paying money for big pieces of game content.

Capitalism

Educated
It is truly a bad thing to kickstart MMORPG. Adding multiplayer to CRPG made sense only for NWN.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
God, I want to like this so bad, but it's like being in denial. There is probably no hope at all for this game. This is just depressing and gets moreso with every update.

Ultima is dead.

Wow, give it up already. This game is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom