Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds more like something Sean Connery would say.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
We promise to you that all of the funds will be leveraged to best realize the vision we have presented. (Several in our community have expressed opinions along these lines, includingGrinningReaper659 and aratuk.) We won’t be using funds from this Kickstarter to add in features that deviate from this vision. We treat the trust you have placed in us seriously, and will maintain our precise focus on creating the game we have told you about. (For example, there is no total this Kickstarter could reach that would lead us to implement multiplayer.) We won’t be trying to broaden our audience – our goal is to provide you with the best embodiment of the game we have presented. Any features we add, any content we add, will be to better deliver on our vision. Especially for a game like Torment, excellence is achieved through focus.

In the latest Torment update. A dig at Garriott?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's merely just an emphasis that they will spend 100% of their development time on making a great single player game.

Not on trivial shit that adds nothing to a game.

Stabwound

Arcane
A new update... about switched up kickstarter tiers and a boxed version. Whoopty shit.

This thing is just going to plod along and barely fall over and start crawling when it reaches the goal. This guy doesn't need money. I would like to hear more about the game itself, though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Here Is my opinion on this game (thanks to lots of beer).

Gariott wants to make a new game. Gariott want's to make a game that is a model that funds him and his company (and his 7 Million dollar investors). So the best way to do that is make a MMO Like infrastructure. With a successful MMO in place, specify that within in this model he will make a GREAT old cRPG game in this MMO that rivals or exceed the original Ultimas. IT IS JUST LIKE ULTIMA! But it has awesome social stuff like Facebook, Guilds, PvP and Crafting! Or that instead of meeting the original companions THEY ARE YOUR ACTUAL FRIENDS YOU CAN BRING ALONG WITH YOU! OMG! Because THAT is what Ultima IV through VIII were missing! WAT? Anyways. Instead of spending all this money and development time on a GREAT cRPG, he wants to spend it on this MMO infrastructure that apparently makes game WAY BETTER (Facebook, Friends, Guilds, Housing, PvP and OMG YOUR FRIENDS!!!111!). Because that is what we have been missing all this time.

No thanks.

Stabwound

Arcane
So I guess they don't have any of the original Ultima designers working on this? Is there anyone else that's even noteworthy besides Warren Spector, who is probably long lost to the abyss of decline?

I checked out the guy mentioned in the first devleoper blog, and his only design credit for a released game is Ultimate Collector and now this. Awesome.

Well anyway, they are doing a hilariously bad job on this campaign. Why can't they start talking game specifics? Or is it so basic there isn't even anything to talk about?

This is like the Romper Room of CRPG kickstarters and it's sad since it's coming from a guy who was a brilliant designer at one point. Oh well.

Data4

Arcane
This game is trying to be two things and mediocre at each at best. Had it been a full-on MMO spiritual successor to UO, with all the alternate gameplay paths thereof, OR a full-on Ultima-esque single player RPG, I think it would have found an audience. I think Chris Roberts was able to pull off offline single/online multi with Star Citizen because there hasn't been anything like the Wing Commander games since, well, the last Wing Commander.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The title of the game makes perfect sense now. The Avatar's wearing a shroud because he's dead; the Eight Virtues have been forsaken in favor of a shitty not-MMO/single-player hybrid.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is trying to be two things and mediocre at each at best. Had it been a full-on MMO spiritual successor to UO, with all the alternate gameplay paths thereof, OR a full-on Ultima-esque single player RPG, I think it would have found an audience.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was hoping for when this project was announced - either an old-school single-player Ultima-type game or a proper UO sequel with meaningful PVP (FFA, full looting, etc). Right now it's trying to cater to both audiences and many people (including myself) are just confused. It's still easily going to get funded based on LB's name alone, but I can't help but think that focusing on one path could've brought in more money. I'm still holding on to hope (haven't pulled my pledge yet), but they really need to start releasing concrete information about the actual gameplay sooner rather than later.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It'll get funded, launches, and then withers away within a year.
$3,000 virtual love huts.
My god.
Could've bought your entire family a life subscription to other more proven MMOs in the market.

Mortmal

Arcane
It'll get funded, launches, and then withers away within a year.
$3,000 virtual love huts.
My god.
Could've bought your entire family a life subscription to other more proven MMOs in the market.

3000 $ i s for the deed, i think that means, the love hut is not even built, you probably have a shitload of materials to haul to it, like in horizon. That or you have to buy the brick and mortar starting set in the exclusive portalarium shop and today's theres a special 25% discount offer on black silk thongs (not dropping in game of course) .

hiver

hey guise, garriot is lying on RPS again.

By going direct to players, we can avoid becoming beholden to outside influences.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ud-of-the-avatar-why-he-needs-ks/#more-145147

fundamentally, there will be a trial version of the game that you can play as a download for free. To get the full version of the game, including unlocking the skill trees, there will be a nominal cost.

Like, “Oh, hey, I need some power here to start this. Let me give this machine some kindness and let it get up to speed here.”

But as you were saying about finance. The trial version’s free. Unlocking the main game and getting access to some of the base skill trees will be what I’ll call the nominal price of the game.

But then, if we create a whole new skill tree – like if we create an alchemist that didn’t exist to begin with :troll: – we’ll probably have a cost to unlock that skill tree if you want to have access to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom