Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh god and there are people giving money to this greedy jew.

Stabwound

Arcane
"They're not microtransactions if we don't call them that." :smug:

Yeah, unlocking skill trees costing real $ has been known. Whatever you want to call it, DLC, microtransactions, "nominal fee" it's still the same thing: bullshit. What kind of person who wants to play a single-player offline game is going to want to pay for character classes? Imagine playing a D&D game where you can't be a thief unless you pay $10.

Pledging toward this game is actively encouraging this type of shit. You are literally voting for decline with your wallet. And Garriott pretending he doesn't have private investors which will have given him likely many times what the kickstarter will raise is slimy. Fuck this salesman.

Gozma

Arcane
How did that Chris Roberts game make so much money? I wasn't paying attention at all but it looks like this same kind of thing

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How did that Chris Roberts game make so much money? I wasn't paying attention at all but it looks like this same kind of thing

Wing Commander fanbase is a different (and possibly much more desperate) sort of crowd. He also got support from some of the EVE Online crowd, I think. They're already used to paying lots of dollars for their gaming - they do it every month.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You can use in-game cash in EVE to pay for your sub now, and it's not even that hard to get enough money to do so afaik.

I pity the fools.
mr-t.jpg.jpeg

What is disgusting he managed to get almost a million for this scamming piece of turd. And many potentially promising kickstarter projects fail. :(

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You can use in-game cash in EVE to pay for your sub now, and it's not even that hard to get enough money to do so afaik.
But somebody still has to pay.

Not if ISK has some real value. You can use ISK to buy sub money, and don't quote me on this, but I think you can also change it into cold hard cash too. But what do I know? I don't play EVE. I just heard about it from a friend who used to play.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
But somebody still has to pay.

Not if ISK has some real value. You can use ISK to buy sub money, and don't quote me on this, but I think you can also change it into cold hard cash too. But what do I know? I don't play EVE. I just heard about it from a friend who used to play.
Yes, but somebody has to buy the sub with cold hard cash and put it into the market.

Stabwound

Arcane
So once again Barton lets a kickstarter beggar on his show even after mocking them. I guess he would be stupid to turn down an interview with Richard Garriott, though.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
This is the guy who said Kingdoms of Amalur was an ARPG done right and says romance can add a lot to an RPG. He's probably already pledged.

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't recall Matt mocking Gariott's KS?
I meant his recent video mocking kickstarters in general. He's had a ton of KS promoters on his show lately which pull the same exact tactics he ridicules in his video.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I meant his recent video mocking kickstarters in general. He's had a ton of KS promoters on his show lately which pull the same exact tactics he ridicules in his video.

That was done weeks before anyone knew about LB's Kickstarter though (check the date of the video).

The hilarious thing is that he somehow predicted it.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

That was done weeks before anyone knew about LB's Kickstarter though (check the date of the video).

The hilarious thing is that he somehow predicted it.

I watched it again after seeing the pitch video for Shroud of the Avatar and I laughed even harder. It's a parallel of it in so many ways. :lol:

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah. I truly believe Garriott could create an awesome open-ended MMORPG like UO. He seems to understand how monotonous the current MMORPG scene is: grinding to kill new bosses, following quest maps, etc. He has the ambition to create a truly interactive world. In all honestly I would have preferred a UO successor. I think he has a much better chance of pulling that off than a U7 successor or something that attempts to combine U4 and UO such as this game.

Stabwound

Arcane
That's his plan, anyway. To nickel and dime people for little upgrades and yearly expansion packs. I hope it falls flat on its face but sadly it will probably make more than a traditional Ultima-style game would. Maybe creating a UO sequel is too expensive. At least 1-2 UO sequels got cancelled over the years.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Probably. What he's going for allows him to spend less money and still draw in the UO crowd, as well as a few suckers who liked the old single player Ultimas for good measure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom