Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Lancehead

Liturgist
Rock Paper Shotgun interviews Lord British;

Link.
Who the hell is still backing this thing? Must be retards with Stockholm Syndrome or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Richard Garriott: But as you were saying about finance. The trial version’s free. Unlocking the main game and getting access to some of the base skill trees will be what I’ll call the nominal price of the game. But then, if we create a whole new skill tree – like if we create an alchemist that didn’t exist to begin with – we’ll probably have a cost to unlock that skill tree if you want to have access to it. We’ll bring in whole big chunks of content and those may have a cost to access. The precise billing structure for that is to be determined.

Someone feel free to shop Garriott's head on here:

1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg

Globbi

Augur
Rock Paper Shotgun interviews Lord British;

Link.
That is a really good interview. Pretty much everything that's in it should have been in the original KS launch page. At least some vague explanation of why making KS at all, ideas for the world, online/offline content, availability of free content, some possible character development paths. All this was barely even mentioned earlier and explained extremely poorly.

I still don't like most of the concepts, but at least I understand them to some extent.

All in all, it's not that terrible as I originally thought. I will still most likely avoid it because of its core (MMO and a really stupid transaction system). However, with interesting world, good story and character development it can be a nice game overall. Of course, it's too early to judge those things and it might as well be shit all around.

Great job at dodging the question, he never says why he can't just plop a million of his own cash down on this project. Doing so would stop him being beholden to ANY outside influences and by his logic make the best game of all time.
Well, he kinda answers that he want ideas and directions from people but not pressure and restrictions from publishers. Theoretically he could still put his own money into the project after KS will have been successful (they are making this game and got some playable alpha, so they are funding it from someone's money anyway).

I will not back this MMO, I also don't really trust that Garriott will make this a good quality game, but the game has some potential IMO.

Stabwound

Arcane
It has some potential aright. Like Lindsey Lohan has the potential to end up dead of an overdose or a fatal car accident.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
backers
$877,876
pledged of $1,000,000 goal
days to go

March 11 - 98K
March 12 - 49K
March 13 - 35K

And falling steadily....

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Didn't know I could do that :o Thanks a lot. I thought this worked like eBay, click and you're fucked.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, it's amazing how fast the decline is on this one. It'll probably still get funded, though. I still think it's a pretty bold cash-grab from someone who is already wealthy. I've had to sell shit to help pay my bills while making my game! Sell your castle, MAN!

Bt

Stabwound

Arcane
Nah, it will definitely get funded, but I hope it just barely slithers by the goal. I just laugh because they'd projected Monday to be the day they hit the goal. Maybe they have stretch goals and junk planned and it's throwing off their whole promotion plan.

$1,000,000 is a drop in the bucket for this. Garriott himself said he has invested millions of his own money into the project, has investors chipping in millions themselves, etc.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this thing. It's my combined love of Ultima with the absolute trainwreck Garriott's career and mind has suffered.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's because we want another Ultima Game from Gariott, not yet another micro-transaction shitty MMO.

BigWeather

Augur
Yup. If he KS'd a true spiritual successor to Ultima V or VI it would breeze through... I'd give more than I've ever pledged thus far for that.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I liked U5 and U6, but those were 2 odd choices to pick. Most people are looking for the next U4 or U7 (or UO ugh).

Mortmal

Arcane
Nah, it will definitely get funded, but I hope it just barely slithers by the goal. I just laugh because they'd projected Monday to be the day they hit the goal. Maybe they have stretch goals and junk planned and it's throwing off their whole promotion plan.

$1,000,000 is a drop in the bucket for this. Garriott himself said he has invested millions of his own money into the project, has investors chipping in millions themselves, etc.

I don't know why I'm so obsessed with this thing. It's my combined love of Ultima with the absolute trainwreck Garriott's career and mind has suffered.
Its the microscopic glint of hope that this could end up a good single player game with multiplayer component, but nothing hinting at that at all in interviews . That and getting bored as atm i dont find many new games worth playing . Plenty of good kickstarter stuff upcoming, but as of right now , nothing at all .
Our secret dream is this kickstarter miserably failing and him doing a single player game .

Stabwound

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin already seeks out to do what this game does better: A U7-inspired CRPG with turn-based combat and fleshed out game systems. It's not an Utima but it's looking much more appealing than this Ultima: With Down Syndrome™ is looking. And don't even get me started on Ultima Forever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Yup. But it DOES have musltiplayer CO-OP.

:troll:

But that is fine. I don't give a shit. At least it's not another shitty micro transation MMO crap. <3

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
It will more than likely get funded (but just barely). But man it is dropping like a rock (the amount of backers and funds).

Kirtai

Augur
I'd laugh if it got funded then enough people cancelled their pledges to pull it back down below the minimum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom