Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah there are already 2 threads about this already.

Vival

Erudite
Lord Larpish said:
But other than a few exceptions, like Chris Roberts, I’ve met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I’m not saying that because I think I’m so brilliant. What I’m saying is, I think most game designers really just suck, and I think there’s a reason why. It’s really hard to go to school to be a good designer.

Some :obviously: trolling by our esteemed lordship but he probably has a point there. Well, not him being a good designer but game design being a tricky skill to learn.

hiver

i just saw Fargo tweeting it while posting on user voice.
:)

:Richard making friends: :lol:

Stabwound

Arcane
It's cool seeing the interviews with Garriott's old buddies who the companions are based on, I gotta admit.

It sounds like Garriot couldn't acquire the trademarks for the names of the avatar's companions. That's just decline all around. :( Even if he made a strictly U4-7 style game it would be hollow without Iolo and Shamino and the rest.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well yeah I know it doesn't, but what I said was if this game was a true spiritual successor to U7 with no MMO in it at all, he couldn't use any of the characters besides Lord British and I guess the Avatar. No Iolo, Mariah, etc. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well yeah I know it doesn't, but what I said was if this game was a true spiritual successor to U7 with no MMO in it at all, he couldn't use any of the characters besides Lord British and I guess the Avatar. No Iolo, Mariah, etc. :(

Yeah. Now that I think of it, it's funny that the U4E guys can't use Lord British, but they do have Shamino in their game...who is also Richard Garriott.

Xavier0889

Learned
What does Iolo and Dupre matter when it is a MMO.

"Oh so you're a bard too? I can teach you a couple of songs for a handful of [random currency]!"
"I can lead you in the Path of Honor. Just give me a little donation, and enjoy the duck!"

Saduj

Arcane
Dupre is a carpenter who willingly gives up his own life in order to save the world and who later comes back to life. How original. ;)

Actually, he seems like a cool guy. Can't even blame him for shilling for this shitty game because you'll notice that Shittish doesn't even show him any footage of it......

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I didn't have as much nerdrage when Dupre came back in U9. I was so annoyed with the game up until that point that it was more "of course they shit on another pivotal moment".

uaciaut

Augur
I genuinely dont' get what's in this guy's head. On one hand he's trying to make full use of his reputation of creating the ultima series into play, this including bringing people that had some sort of importance in the series. On the other hand he's implementing the shittiest of mmo-type/retarded "features" that simply scream of bad taste and desperation for $$ and that in general are the kind of shit the people who liked the classics, like Ultima, hate with a passion.

I mean even beyond going with whatever messed up ideas he may have about implementing in his game, can't he at least see he's pushing away old ultima fans as much as possible with "NEW 1.1 MIL FEATURE: PETSS!!" and at the same time he's not doing that great with the mmo crowd who is either looking forward for TES online or is playing LoL or something else at the moment. I mean i haven't actually touched on the ultima series that much but am i missing something here?

buzz

Arcane
I mean i haven't actually touched on the ultima series that much but am i missing something here?
Ultima Online. He probably considers that game his personal magnum opus rather than any of the previous games in the series.

I also saw a comment from DX:HR lead designer there (Jean-Francois Dugas)

What Jonathan Blow said is about the best way of summing up the whole issue

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Garriott's reaction to the recent brouhaha: http://www.portalarium.com/images/docs/Words Taken Out of Context.pdf

However, while ALL artists in the industry are better than I ever was, and while I can easily hire
a programmer who is better than I ever was, it is far more difficult to hire a designer who is
clearly capable of leading a top 10 game. For any company, growth only comes when the
company finds another leader who can make a top 10 game. Origin only grew when we found
people like Chris Roberts and Warren Spector. Most other attempts at creating new game lines
failed when we gave the reigns to junior people looking to advance. I want emphasize that this
was not always the case, but it happened more times than not. As a business it’s important to
understand why.

Yeah, or maybe Origin had a serious company culture problem that prevented young talented designers from rising up.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/433901

Art Direction in Shroud of the Avatar

SotA_mountainPass-1024x512.jpg

When we first started discussing Art Direction for Shroud of the Avatar, we felt it was critical that the virtual world be steeped in a traditional medieval fantasy feel, but have added a modern twist that we think will be a real treat for players to experience, taking them into something fresh.​

There are an abundance of medieval fantasy games out there—so we asked ourselves how do we set the game apart, how do we create a unique and marketable identity in an oversaturated market? The answer came in Richard’s natural storytelling ability. Over the last few months, Richard developed a complex, rich story in which two worlds collide, the ancient world melding with the modern, and the world art we’re creating will reflect that in a fresh and unique way.​

We started with traditional medieval elements and layered in elements of a primitive electro-mechanical future. Our objective is to create a visual aesthetic that is both familiar and unique. And now with the addition of Tracy Hickman to the team, his vision for the story will continue to evolve that world, and in turn, evolve our depiction of that world.​

Richard’s attention to detail and sense of direction demands that all characters, weapons, objects, and buildings need to “make sense” and not just exist as eye-candy. We are creating a world that sets Shroud of the Avatar apart from the pack-- but also one where form always follows function. We believe this design process will create believable, fascinating worlds and our art will follow that vision.​

We look forward to incorporating your feedback and sharing more!​

Stabwound

Arcane
Hey, the setting sounds at least a little interesting. Why didn't he come out with some storyline/setting details before now? If it's not strictly puke-worthy generic fantasy it might have a little hope of some kind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom