Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

this crap manages to be worse than vanilla civ5 under each and every aspect.
ai, diplomacy, improvements, even graphics and unit variety and customization.
i expected a mess of a game but not such a disgrace.

Thing that bugs me the most is.....how...slow...everything...is...to.....get............done.

I think construction may take longer than Civ V.

baturinsky

Arcane
I thought CiV was the absolute rock bottom of the Civ family. And you say they have managed to make something even worse?

Drakron

Arcane
Another idiocy is were they land, tried standard map and they fucking drop next door, optimal city deployment is six hexes away and they will drop something as stupid as within 15 hexes, there is no room to expand without tripping on a fucking faction.

Plus this seems to been build around 5 factions, everyone is simply dropping next door and its a perpetual state of war.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
I like war so that isn't a problem for me. Conquering sure as shit is though. Same stupid global happiness mechanic though it takes the form of health now. Hit some little 3 pop city and put your small empire into huge negatives whether you want it for self, make it a puppet, or raze it even. I was going to raze it but it was cheaper to make it a puppet. Fucking cheap mechanic against warmongers. Don't make it hideously expensive to wage war, no, introduce some bullshit gimmick instead. FUCK YOU SHITTY DEVS

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
What's that? Alpha Centauri is still the best Civ game? So, nothing's changed, then.

I wonder, will someone give me another lecture about how Alpha Centauri isn't technically part of the Civilization franchise? My guess: Probably not, since I've called it in advance.

I still have yet to find a 4X I'd rather play instead of firing up SMAC again, except GalCivII, mainly for building LEGO ship models.

Renegen

Arcane
Speaking of Slavs, when you talk to him he speaks some local language, potato or ruskie or something but if you speak to the African faction leader he speaks english. Guess colonization left its mark. :lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I watched some stream and jesus... this game, it's worse than Civ V. The Ai is completely helpless unless you play on the last difficulty and it cheats to absurd levels. Some guy gone to fight the Ai, he had 4 cities and the Ai had ten, he was playing like shit and was complerely underclassed militarly with the Ai having high affinity troops all over the place while he had shitty units. The only thing he needed to do to kill the strongest Ai in the game was to wait for it to move it's strongest units againt another Ai and had most of it's army destroyed to conquer ONE city from another Ai(The Ai doesn't know how to use artillery). The only thing he needed to do was to move his troops that were half dozen crappy units with three artillery units and proceed to capture half the enemy cities.

Yes, the Ai didn't build ANY decent defense on it's cities while he was amassing a big army at it's border for 20 turns and the only thing that took to capture them was two barrages of artillery and one or two tanks on each one. The Ai tried a counter attack with the few units it had but by the time he had to retreat, the most productive cities of the Ai, including the capital were razed. Before fighting the Ai, he had to fight with the aliens that, by the way, are just reskinned barbarians. They are an annoyance at best but the Marines you get on the start of the game are more than enough to deal with them with the exception of the siege worm and can be easily cleaned. If it wasn't that bullshit of having your units automatically expelled when you declare war, he could had use an open border treaty and erased the Ai from the map on one turn.

Drakron

Arcane
Cities have shit for defenses, learned that the hard way.

And fucking city spam ... ended up in a endless war with fucking Brazil because the asshole had to spam then right on my territory, its fucking insane ...

Multi-headed Cow

Speaking of Slavs, when you talk to him he speaks some local language, potato or ruskie or something but if you speak to the African faction leader he speaks english. Guess colonization left its mark. :lol:
Well the BE planet has space potatoes in the tuber resource so he gets to maintain his culture. Space Americans have to build a warp gate to bring through hamburgers.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that the "Fortify" sound for the soldiers occasionally sounds like the... Uh... Most basic grunts in Quake 2? The kinda highish pitched "Huah!" sound they make. I could've been mistaken but I could've sworn it sounded like it a few times. Might just be the purity soldiers too I guess, didn't hear the others fortify.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After reading this and watching BE videos, I'm so glad I just bought Endless Legend instead, it's about 85% right instead of 20% like BE seems to be.

Multi-headed Cow

After reading this and watching BE videos, I'm so glad I just bought Endless Legend instead, it's about 85% right instead of 20% like BE seems to be.
Honestly my only complaint with EL is the AI is too weak and needs to focus on getting victory conditions. Got a hell of a lot more complaints with BE, not sure I'd say it's only 20% right but it does need more work. Maybe fix some mechanics issues like trade routes and the -20 and under health penalty being too minor to offset the bonuses of covering the world in human hive then they can start working on their AI too. Then I'd still have fluff complaints like leaders using the same text as Civ 5 in some situations and the boring as hell leaders and tech blurbs but all that's pretty low on the list.

Still gonna play another game or two of BE at some point just to see if it magically clicks but I'm dragging my heels right now because dealing the the trade routes was such a pain I don't want to do it again.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Won a game by Transcendence.
Visuals, they're alright, but no matter how I tried with .ini file, couldn't turn off the incredibly annoying blur.
Trade routes, fuck them in the cargo bay.
You get bombarded with multiple petty decisions all the time.
I got all my units to hover tanks but still can't grab resource in canyons cause it generated out of worker's reach and workers don't change at all.
Barebones options, although a bit more interesting combat for Harmony since you can launch satellites and use workers to spread Miasma.
Setting is boring
Decision making is boring
No cool movies for wonders and wonders are boring
No cool movies for winning the gaem
AI is bugged, will hate you for things you didn't do and stuff

Fap on golden, purple or blue thingies, press End Turn

Shadenuat

Arcane
And this is how most of the game is written btw

81997787.jpg

I learned many new words today
They have as much and more for things like basalt, gold and copper. Opens your eyes and broadens your horizons, doesn't it

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

81997787.jpg

They have as much and more for things like basalt, gold and copper. Opens your eyes and broadens your horizons, doesn't it

You ever read some of the scientific breakthrough dialogue? "We found out about satellites and simulated alien genitals! Cool!" It also doesn't help that a really uninspiring, Indian woman is reading all of this politically correct drivel.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
It also doesn't help that a really uninspiring, Indian woman is reading all of this politically correct drivel.

Indeed. I noticed that many of the technology quotes are of the other leaders, but because they're all read by the same, dull voice actress, the quotes all kind of blend together. So much of the personality of the Alpha Centauri leaders was bound up in their voice actors and the quotations they read: how could Firaxis have been so stupid as to have the quotes in this game read by such a single, boring actress?

Stompa

Arcane

81997787.jpg

You ever read some of the scientific breakthrough dialogue? "We found out about satellites and simulated alien genitals! Cool!" It also doesn't help that a really uninspiring, Indian woman is reading all of this politically correct drivel.

Leaders' quotes are even worse. "Tell our children not to dream of toys and sweets, but of infrastructure" was when I gave up on the writing.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

81997787.jpg

Leaders' quotes are even worse. "Tell our children not to dream of toys and sweets, but of infrastructure" was when I gave up on the writing.

That was THE EXACT SAME LINE that turned me as well.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Played 100 turns.

It's not very good.

Aside from lacking in personality, and generally feeling insanely empty considering its setting, there's also a lot of bugs and general oddities in the design choices. Too many to list, really.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played until about 200 turns and I still had not done anything worth remembering and was basically just hitting the end turn button the whole time.

Was the previous games also so boring that most of your gameplay consisted of doing nothing for 10s of turns at a time? I genuinely can't remember being so bored with them, but I haven't played any of them in a long time.

Name

Cipher
Oh my judging from the metacritic user ratings and codex impressions (equally credible!), So despite critical acclaim from game "journals", the game completely fails Alpha Centauri?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Visuals, they're alright, but no matter how I tried with .ini file, couldn't turn off the incredibly annoying blur.

You mean this?
Yep, but for some reason sometimes game resets it. Maybe if you change something in options during playing the game.

He speaks broken russian aka Hollywood-russian. It's not native speaker. I was a bit surprised by that since in Civ5 they hired native speakers for all languages. Maybe modgame didn't have that much of a budget.

But then except The Last Express I don't know a game that truly paid attention to that stuff.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom