Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Multi-headed Cow, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Is this criticism of Six Ages valid, in your opinions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SixAges/comments/eyur3x/gameplay_structure_of_ride_like_the_wind_warning/

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nahel Arcane

Nahel
    It is. Get her or just lose. That ruined my enjoyment of the game.
    Except that nothing truly matters. Ennemy clans can always recover too

^ Top  
  3. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    there is no PC port. PC game was an original game... it was later ported and revoked but in a horrible way. if you liked your apple version then you probably love utterly disgusting PC revoked KoDP.
    for me its horrible

^ Top  
  4. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    I think the Apple version of KoDP has additional updates to the PC version, but I can't be arsed to check because I'm so pissed off at this company fucking me over repeatedly with their decisions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Silva Arcane

Silva
    :hmmm:

Why the butthurt. The game is released at IOS and Windows on 2 different versions.

And I'm midway through the campaign (for the second time, first playthrough was last year or something). Will post more impressions later, in special in regard to that criticism up above (aka: your clan geopolitical status doesn't really matter except for survival, what matter are your final leaders abilities).

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitum Learned

Infinitum
    I disagree. As others have noted the difficult path of any campaign is getting your trade income, defenses and heroic battle leader going in order not to be raided into oblivion. I'd guess the standing system ties into other clans willingness to attack yo as well. I mean, if you're proven to be weak laughing stock who's to stop anyone from just taking your cows? The endgame sequence is mostly a victory lap* once you've reached a safe and self sustaining clan.

Also not sure how you grind stats instead of accumulating wealth, cows and respect. You get what, one safeish heroquest per year and you still need to collect cows, allies and clan magic to feed into it. You can also exhchange wealth for worshipper boosting god artifacts, so its not like chasing cows doesn't directly affect your ring members either.

*And also horribly prone to fucking you over with one bad rng throw, granted

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    I believe the iOS/Windows re-release included a few "new" scenes (iirc they were actually in the base game, but someone overlooked setting up possible triggers for them so no one ever saw them). Outside of that the re-release is significantly inferior.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Silva Arcane

Silva
    You say that just because of the the lack of the clan lands screen, or due to the changes the game suffered? It seems to me the changes were for the good (streamlining food, minimizing death spirals, more events, etc), no?

^ Top  
  9. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    The lack of tula view removed a big part of the atmosphere and food didn't need any streamlining. It's not a big deal, but the iOS version definitely was a step down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    I mean, if you enjoy it fair enough, don't let me dissuade you otherwise. Speaking for myself, yes the removal of the tula screen is a pretty big deal that removes a large sense of accomplishment and progression. It also looked very nice. I wouldn't put it on quite the same level as the HoMM3 town screens, but can you imagine the shitshow that would have occurred if they'd just removed town screens from the HoMM3 remaster? It's like a lesser version of that. The streamlining of food bothers me less, but it was completely unnecessary, and it serves to make the game easier which is silly. I think there's a perception common to a lot of people who've played the game for a short while that it's a very difficult game, but it actually is fairly easy once you begin to understand some of the mechanics (which the game admittedly intentionally obfuscates), and I'm not even talking about cheesy tactics like turning your tula into a metropolis or using meta-knowledge to explore Dragon Pass, either of which will turn the game into an utter cakewalk.

I also recall reading that the iOS/Windows release increased the likelihood of leaders spawning in with Renowned or even Heroic stats, something that was extremely rare in the original (I don't think it was possible for anyone to spawn with heroic excepting Kallyr), but I don't have a source for that, so I might be incorrect.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Silva Arcane

Silva
    hello friend and <3sRichardSimmons , that's fair. I miss the tula screen too.

Perhaps the insatisfaction from part of the fans come from the feeling that the game had it's management/strategic side weakened in lieu of it's storytelling side? And the tula screen, while only a visual aid, was iconic, or embodied somehow, that managerial/strategic side?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. hello friend Arcane

hello friend
    Well, overall the changes are small and should be inconsequential, and if an Apple product is all you have there's no reason not to get the iOS version. But I was surprised by how much I missed the tula screen, it has no gameplay consequence but you do end up seeing it a lot and it gives you a real connection to your clan seeing it grow and thrive. Without it the game starts feeling a tad more like a spreadsheet simulator. The minutiae of food management do add a little extra. If your soothsayers say it's a good years for crops, plant barley to your heart's content. Bad year? Better plant rye. Also the whole thing of having enough sheep for all your temples, horses for your army, pigs for emergency meat and cattle for wealth and prestige. It's been a while since I've played so I can't say for sure whether or not there's any real difference between cows and pigs. Perhaps cows needed pasture while pigs needed wildlands? Either way, removing it was completely unecessary, and while it doesn't make or break the game, those small details matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. cyborgboy95 Learned

cyborgboy95
    https://blog.sixages.com/index.php/2020/08/26/august-update/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Theodora Erudite Patron

Theodora
    Should I play King of Dragon Pass first?

• Yes Yes x 8
    ^ Top  
  15. hivemind Liturgist Patron Pretty Princess

hivemind
    play king of the dragon pass instead

• Yes x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Yeah, it aged surprisingly well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ialda Educated

Ialda
    King of Dragon Pass is also the best introduction you can find (together with the Prince of Sartar webcomics) to the wonderful world of Glorantha.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Thal Augur

Thal
    More precisely, it is ageless.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    Six Ages is a good game. KoDP is a masterpiece.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    What's the difference? What makes KoDP better? I haven't played it yet but it looks p. similar

^ Top  
  21. hivemind Liturgist Patron Pretty Princess

hivemind
    KODP has more soul.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane Patron

<3sRichardSimmons
    It’s slightly smaller in scope, and some of the clan management aspects have been streamlined from KoDP. I would also say that the art and writing in SA, while still very good, fails to overall match up to KoDP. It also really doesn’t try to do anything new, which while not really a failing, does prevent it from reaching “masterpiece” status in my eyes. Subjectively, I also prefer the Orlanthi culture to the Horsetribes.

To be clear though: it’s a very good game, and if you enjoyed KoDP it is a no-brainer to play it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Ialda Educated

Ialda
    While smaller in scope, for Ride Like The Wind defense it should be said that the game was designed from the start to be the first part of an epic saga telling the orign of the Berennethtelli from Storm age to the Dawn. When (if) the six parts are eventually released, the result should be interesting to play.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.