Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind - King of Dragon Pass spiritual successor

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yea I'm buying it when I buy a new PC and move to 10, heard its good enough already but I don't want to change OS on the old PC.

Glad to hear it turned out great.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Can't post much now, but I'll make a much more comprehensive post when I can; this game is excellent, an extremely good successor to King of Dragon Pass and improves on a lot from the game. Combat is much more engaging, the rituals and magic seem to have much more of a direct effect and most importantly, THE HERO QUESTS AREN'T COMPLETELY HORRIBLE!!!!! I used to dread doing the hero quests in KoDP because of how strict they were and how arbitrary the outcomes were, but I really enjoy them in this, partially because they (don't seem to be) mandatory.

Great game, I've got a lot more to say about it and I will when I have time.

Terra

Cipher
Just finished my first unsuccessful run of the game.
My clan death spiralled towards the end as we ran out of food and got locked into an on/off feud with a neighboring clan. My child prodigy clan member ended up on my circle, fell in love with a ram girl he saw in a magic mirror, couldn't marry her and ended up accidently killing her, then himself in a retaliatory raid. Not long after that some rams showed up on horses and I got one of the bad endings.
Despite being a bad ending, I really enjoyed my first playthrough, watching everything turn to shit right at the end of my campaign was surprisingly satisfying. Game's definitely up there with KoDP and I'll immediately be starting a new playthrough.

Citizen

So, is there any workaround to run in on a win7 machine? I wanna play it, especially since its discounted on steam now, but not reinstalling the OS for that

Endemic

Arcane
So, is there any workaround to run in on a win7 machine? I wanna play it, especially since its discounted on steam now, but not reinstalling the OS for that

I'd guess it's probably some DLLs or a newer version of Visual Studio that are restricted to Win10, and the programmer(s) concerned didn't bother testing with any alternative.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://blog.sixages.com/index.php/2019/12/30/year-in-review-2019/

Year In Review: 2019

TL;DR: We released Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind for PC!

GDC
IMG_4274-GDC-300x225.jpeg

In March, I gave a talk about the design of Six Ages (and King of Dragon Pass) and how they work behind the scenes. This should be available in the GDC Vault.

PAX
We made a special demo version of the game to show at PAX West. (This gives a super-limited introduction and ends after one year.) Kitfox had a computer in their booth dedicated to this. It was great to see people actually playing the game, and meet one of the artists in person for the first time.

IMG_4568-Pax-1024x768.jpg

Update
US-App-Store-ratings-1-300x109.jpg

While the game was being ported to PC, we were fixing bugs discovered by our iOS players. Originally we had hoped to make a single release, but rather than delay things, we released 1.0.8 to the App Store.

Lights Going Out
SolarDisk-1-300x300.jpg

We had begun work on the second chapter, Six Ages: Lights Going Out, last year. It’s always hard to know exactly how many interactive scenes a game will need, since it isn’t until you play for a while that you know what’s missing. But assuming chapter 2 is about as complex as chapter 1, we’re about halfway through scene writing and coding. And the scene-specific QA is about 30% complete.

We don’t have any release information yet.

Port
Our goal was to release Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind for Windows and macOS in 2019. What that really meant was by mid-October, since indie games can’t launch whenever they feel like it and expect to get any attention. We needed to avoid as many similar game releases as possible, and beat the Christmas release cycle. (If we had slipped into November, we probably would have had to hold the game until 2020.)

It was a bigger project than we had expected, but Rusto came through and we did in fact release on 17 October.

Steam-New-Releases-300x267.png

Having a game on Steam has been a bit of a learning experience, since I tend not to buy my games there. I was surprised that you can buy a game you cannot actually launch. (We’re sorry that the game requires Windows 10, but there isn’t anything we can do about it.) GOG was different yet again. It was nice to have a publisher deal with many of the details.

I was a little disappointed that we didn’t get a lot of reviews, though perhaps we had done too well getting coverage of the iOS version, and it was hard for game sites to justify a second review. Plus, there really was no great release week — we came out at the same time as Disco Elysium, for example. Still, I was pretty pleased to see the Rock Paper Shotgun review.

And, we have been nominated for a few awards.

The port also gave us a way to sell Stan LePard’s soundtrack, which we had gotten requests for since the iOS release.

Future
IMG_4771-225x300.jpeg

I have no idea if the Indiepocalypse is real (since Six Ages was my first PC release), but it does seem like the publishing world is different than a year ago, and definitely since we re-released King of Dragon Pass. Although we are busy with the second Six Ages game, I think it’s a good idea to think about what might come after.

I have been making notes and trying things out. The prototype shown here won’t be the next game, since it felt boring. But maybe I will have something to share next year.

Also devlog about PC user interface: https://blog.sixages.com/index.php/2019/12/30/pc-user-interface/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ialda

Learned
How is the PC port ? I only played it on IOS.

That's odd, since the Grazers\Horse-Spawn in KODP would take slaves.

According to the wiki, the Pure Horse Clan is the only Rider clan still practicing slavery ingame, while most Hyaloring people reject the practice (but dabbling in the slave trade may be acceptable to some).

KODP Grazers are a pure horse tribe; and being settled people in the (relatively) safe third age is very different from a tribe of late storm-age refugees flying south because your Sun-god is dead, and both the ice and the dark are coming after you. You can't burden yourself with slaves when you have to stay on the move.

Insert Title Here
It does. I'd say it's even slightly better in some ways, but I doubt everyone will agree with me on that. The mechanics aren't all that different, and the setting and writing are just as great. I do miss the original's UI design, but it is way better and more functional than the one in Herocraft's KoDP.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
i read thatbits more based around modern morality than honouring your ancestors which sounds a bit cringe ngl

oscar

Arcane
It's no different to the original actually beyond not being able to be a slaver clan. I suspect that's more for mechanical and narrative reasons that it wouldn't make sense for horse nomad refugees fleeing the apocalypse, (hence you know the whole Ride like the Wind title..) to be dragging swathes of shackle-bound slaves for thousands of kilometers. The Rider clans (the Pure Horse Clan and the Wheel clans) that do partake in slavery seem to just be sellers of captured opponents instead of using them for agriculture like Orlanthi thralls anyway.

There's not much way to swing that argument other than
the best ending seeing the union of the olive-skinned Rams with your paler Eurasian-looking Riders under your clan's leadership
but that's pretty much what spawned modern Europeans anyway after the PIE invasion/migration.

A lot of autists will see a conspiracy in anything though.

Humanophage

Arcane
It does. I'd say it's even slightly better in some ways, but I doubt everyone will agree with me on that. The mechanics aren't all that different, and the setting and writing are just as great. I do miss the original's UI design, but it is way better and more functional than the one in Herocraft's KoDP.
It's a great game, but it's too short. I enjoyed my playthrough, but it ended abruptly and though the fans urge me to replay it, I just don't see a lot of options in the game to justify doing that. I will wait until they release a couple more chapters.

Silva

Arcane
Wow, just got this on Steam and I'm impressed. I mean, I already had it on Ipad but the PC implementation is smooth like butter. Just clicking around screens feel good af.

Now I'm tempted to get the recent PC port of KoDP version too. Is it as good as this one? Or should I stick to the Ipad version for that?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom