Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
attackfighter said:
sea said:
Quests in Skyrim have a really cool way of leading to each other. I got into a drinking contest with a guy at an inn (who wasn't there in the morning), had a "night to remember" and then woke up clear across the other side of the game world inside a temple.

This is an attempt to rip off the quest in The Witcher 2 where you get drunk with the blue stripes and wake up with a tatoo. The difference is that The Witcher 2 was funny but in Skyrim it's just a half-assed attempt at shitty humour.
I didn't say it was funny, and that was a minor point. I just thought it was kinda neat how immediately after I begin a quest, I have the option to initiate another one - entirely through my own exploration and curiosity, not "oh hey you look like a quest giver."

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the Codex has endorsed the game, huh? Interesting.

Personally, I've played it a bit further and still don't really enjoy any of its aspects, so I guess this simply isn't my kind of game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Crooked Bee said:

Personally, I've played it a bit further and still don't really enjoy any of its aspects, so I guess this simply isn't my kind of game.

I'm not sure endorsed is the right word here. Most posts just lack the hatred and bile reserved for Oblivion. It seems the general consensus is: "Sort of mediocre. Horrible interface. Derpy quests. Ok as a hiking sim."

It's just that 2011 has been a really shit year for RPG/Hiking sim enthusiasts that everyone's playing what happens to be around instead of what happens to be good. I guess we've just hated Bethesda for so long it's hard to drum up much enthusiasm for rioting in the streets anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Tel Prydain said:
Short version: Skyrim fixes Oblivion’s biggest shortfalls.

<snip>

Thanks for that. You pretty much nailed on the head why I thought Oblivion was an utter failure not just as an RPG but as a game. Its dull and generic nature. Good to hear those glaring flaws have been corrected.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Crooked Bee said:

"The Codex"? The 11% who bought it? The between 0 and 29% who pirated it?
Not to mention that many reactions of those who did try it were: installed -> UI: FUUUuuuu -> uninstalled
What about the 41% who had no interest at all? What about those who generally didn't like it (like you) and a those who admit that it got stale fast. Or those who said it's ok, but far from great? Are they not "the Codex"?
Not generally hating Skrym as much as Oblivion is hardly "endorsing".

made

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Just like it endorsed TW2, DAO, DXHR, FONV, and pretty much every single AAA RPG-ish game in recent years.

The popularity of Skyrim is really no surprise - what else will you play if you crave a sandbox in a fantasy setting?

attackfighter

Magister
Ulminati said:
Stinger said:
sea said:
I highly recommend switching off the quest compass in the game's INI files, as it entirely changes the game and the way you play it, for the better. For all the things you can say against this game, this is genuinely good open-world design.

Just noticed this point, so you're saying that the game can be played without the quest compass? From the videos I've seen the quest dialogue is so sparse and there's barely any mention of the locations of these places (as opposed to Morrowind where you got full descriptions on where to go)...how do you play the game with the compass disabled, cause it looks like the game has been clearly designed around it?

You could grab the clairvoyance spell. Cast it, it'll point in the direction of your currently selected objective. Use it as a manual compass of sorts. It's still a bit of a quest compass, but at least you won't get a billion icons telling you what's just around the corner, spoiling the surprise.

One major problem with this approach is that the journal rarely states the location of a quest. Clairvoyance is really only useful for tracking down quest locations in your immediate vicinity, since it can only point you in the right direction and can't tell you the distance you have to travel in that direction. So if you have a quest that requires you to travel to the opposite end of the map, you'd have to spend quite awhile hiking there since you'd have no way to discern whether clairvoyance is telling you to walk to the next town over or... to the other side of the map!

made said:
Crooked Bee said:
Just like it endorsed TW2, DAO, DXHR, FONV, and pretty much every single AAA RPG-ish game in recent years.

The popularity of Skyrim is really no surprise - what else will you play if you crave a sandbox in a fantasy setting?

All of those games are better written than Skyrim and with the exception of FONV they all have better combat as well. Also DAO is generally not well recieved around here (it was at release but not anymroe).

I'd owe Skyrim's positive reception simply to the fact that it's new and Bethesda games are generally fun at first before the repetition/shittiness sinks in.

Cassidy said:
Crooked Bee said:

Today's Codex is to the early years Codex what Vichy France was to France, except the "corruption and betrayal" came in a grassroots form after a blitzkrieg of shit games and TESF refugees that gradually led the "Hivemind" to adapt their tastes and perception. Those who refuse to betray Codexia lower their tastes to the decline and join the hype circlejerks are a minority, and this minority isn't as vocal(except for skyway who is more like a "double agent poseur") as the rabid fanboys(R00fles!!!), "good for what it is" conformists and TESF drones.

Fuck you with your Vichy France crap, I'm french and don't mess with this shit.
That being said, Skyrim's a good game and fuck the haters. Morrowind was also a good game, Oblivion was an abomination. The critic's awful conscensus around Oblivion being good just lead us to a (justified) blind hatred against Bethesda, which was further proved by Fallout 3 (an awful game also, even if a bit less than Oblivion). So now everybody goes: Bethesda=fuck you, die, Todd Howard=I shit in your mouth and assorted memes.
But sorry, Skyrim's pretty good, for me it harks back to the days of Morrowind or Daggerfall when in fact Bethesda was a fucking good RPG game studio (and one of the last even if not as good as Troika or Looking Glass Studios).
Of course, the writing's still bland. But it was also as bland in Daggerfall or Morrowind. Not everyone can be MCA. But it's a huge incline, deal with it or fuck off.

Personnally, after having puked (for good reasons) all over Oblivion or Fallout 3, I was still expecting an incline from Bethesda and I was not disappointed. I really think that FO:NV did them a lot of good.
On the other hand, it's been a long time that I don't expect shit from Bioware, I never really liked their games and they've gone from Charybdis to Scylla.
But well, fucking Jaesun loves ME2 but won't play Skyrim and will initiate a poll just before it's released.
To each his own, that's the fucking codex and sometimes it's so full of derp that it gravitates close to the monolith around Jupiter.

xemous

Arcane
dragon age origins is a classic role playing game

Last edited:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
As needing to check in with reality a bit more, that's what.

Cassidy said:
Crooked Bee said:

Today's Codex is to the early years Codex what Vichy France was to France, except the "corruption and betrayal" came in a grassroots form after a blitzkrieg of shit games and TESF refugees that gradually led the "Hivemind" to adapt their tastes and perception. Those who refuse to betray Codexia lower their tastes to the decline and join the hype circlejerks are a minority, and this minority isn't as vocal(except for skyway who is more like a "double agent poseur") as the rabid fanboys(R00fles!!!), "good for what it is" conformists and TESF drones.

At least read one of the two LPs of it before trying, or better, forget it! I think you deserve a break from any potentially shit game after you went through Gothic 4: ArcaniA. For me, even browsing the screenshots of one of those LPs was a boring experience and I quickly lost the desire of reading it further. Can't see why playing it would be different considering my near universal dislike of this kind of game.

Don't be so dramatic. The game is not as bad as everyone thought but it still isn't very good either. Just a mediocore 7/10 at best and worthy of some discussion and not much else.

And seriously, betrayal of codexia and the loss of the hivemind? You realise how that comes across? :lol:

circ

Arcane
I only played it for an hour or thereabouts. Followed a stormsomething guy and then went to his sister? in Riversomething, so perhaps I am not much of an authority on it as some who have played it 7 times. But.

Tel Prydain said:
Short version: Skyrim fixes Oblivion’s biggest shortfalls.
I couldn't tell. Short version - Oblivion with more graphical glitches. But the world feels more alive! Really? I met some hunter with his dog, hunting something I guess, on my way to Riversomething. I tried to talk to him once he put his bow away, but he just ignored me.
Tel Prydain said:
Oblivion was so damn generic. Dungeons were built out of stock sections, so similar you’d swear it was procedurally generated. Identical ruins were scattered throughout the world, identical each time you found one. The world itself was bland and cookie-cutter as it could be.
Ok, I only went through the introductory dungeon, but it sure looked like Oblivion all over again. Once outside, I found some herbs, I thought neat, and tried to find some more but it wasn't so easy because everything looked the same.
Tel Prydain said:
The loot was generic –all the items were too much alike, and without any unique items there was little reward for marching down the bottom of a dungeon. You’d likely only find the same randomly generated items you’d find in any chest in the world.
Hmm, you don't think Skyrim loot is generic? I found a lot of Imperial armor and weapons, bottles, food, gold coins - just like in every other fantasy game. How is that not generic?
Tel Prydain said:
The spells were generic – because spellcrafting let you create your own spells. The obvious problem it had was that being able to craft any spell you can imagine means that no spell is unique. If there are no unique spells, then you have no compelling rewards to give wizards.
Sooo... Having an unlimited array of spells was generic, but having a set spell set isn't? I see.
Tel Prydain said:
Characters were generic… and nothing beyond personal dedication stopped the characters becoming a samey mish-mash of skills.
Sooo... How are you arriving at this conclusion? You don't even have skills anymore, you have hp, mana and something else I forget. How does that make you more unique exactly?
Tel Prydain said:
Even the gameplay was generic. Level scaling meant that every battle was an equally generic challenge – no mater where you were exploring.
You know how every battle for me went in Skyrim? Click click click. About the same as Oblivion then.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
You lost EVERY battle in WW2
The only one won by you, is Vichy France vs some peasants in the far east.

Everyone can mess with that shit (=France) and everyone will get away with that! Now, SURRENDER
again

ohWOW said:
You lost EVERY battle in WW2
The only one won by you, is Vichy France vs some peasants in the far east.

Everyone can mess with that shit (=France) and everyone will get away with that! Now, SURRENDER
again

Fuck you moron, you were not even born and computers didn't exist at the time. Surrender to your ass, crazy child. You watch too much TV, read a fucking book and come back the next week.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The voice acting turned out better than expected. I was dreading the return of those god-fucking-awful voice actors from Oblivion and Fallout 3, but Skyrim's have ranged from passable to quite good. Especially cool to hear Stephen Russell voicing the leader of the Thieves' Guild, very appropriate :)

ThunderHorse

Novice
Well , Oblivion was watered down and sterile. Skyrim is actually a very good game. The world is much more alive and actually makes me want to explore it. Sure, it has it's negatives like some ai issues and bad ui. I also don't like the lack of stats, but so far I'm having more fun with it than I've had with a non strategy game in a long time.

I know it's not cool to like games by big companies here..or to like games that get good reviews elsewhere..or to like games made in the last 10 years, but I don't care about these things. The people who already had their mind made negatively about Skyrim before even playing it are no better than game review mags who were paid for a positive review. Whereas, some mags might get paid to give good reviews, on the other end of the spectrum you have elitist kids who care more about whether liking something is cool or not than the actual quality.Actually, they're worse because they're being idiots without getting paid for it. I've been playing video games since 1980 or so (started on a magnavox odyssey 2) and Skyrim is a really good game. Just being unbiased and honest. It's fun and has a real sense of adventure. Also, if you can run it full spec, it's gorgeous.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So, someone convince me Bethesda's implementation of a Norse setting is interesting and not generic. I mean what's with the Dragon-theme of the plot instead of a proper Norse wolf theme?

Mangoose said:
My general impression on this thread is Morrowind >> Skyrim >> Oblivion.

Mine is:

On a scale of fun:

Skyrim>Morrowind>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion

On a scale of "art":

Morrowind>Skyrim>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion

But then I'm not sure, I still have to finish the main quest.

circ

Arcane
Hi, TES shill.
ThunderHorse said:
I know it's not cool to like games by big companies here..
Interplay, once upon a time, was big. Microprose, huge.
ThunderHorse said:
or to like games that get good reviews elsewhere..
Pretty sure Fallout 1 got fairly decent reviews at the time, unless you mean 95/100 9/10 and inflation like that that you see these days.
ThunderHorse said:
or to like games made in the last 10 years, but I don't care about these things.
For something recent, I think a large portion of the codex enjoys CoH and DoW 1/2. Unless you meant RPG's, but you don't know what that is do you?

ThunderHorse

Novice
circ said:
You know how every battle for me went in Skyrim? Click click click. About the same as Oblivion then.
Well this is totally false. If you just run in swinging, youll have many..many deaths. Unless you mean "clic click click" as in mouse clicks in which case any game youll ever play is click click.

Anyway, I was disappointed when Oblivion was released ebcause I loved Morrowind. I'm surprised with Skyrim. I was prepared for disappointment.

Morkar Left

Sounds like the game is mediocre all in all. Having no attributes/classes and the quest compass sounds shit. Too much over the top MAJESTIC quests sounds annoying. That the interface is shit was already crytal clear from a console port.

But it seems they got the exploration right and really did something with the radiant ai. But I expect you still can't fight from horseback?

I will try the game when a goty edition comes out and modders fixed the questcompass problem. But right now I prefer to stick with more oldies and a new modded NV playthrough.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
On a scale of fun:

Skyrim>Morrowind>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oblivion
Elaborate, please. FWIW I found Oblivion more "fun" than Morrowind because it added active blocking and casting spells without unsheathing weapons. In Skyrim I don't notice anything similarly significant (in terms of gameplay "feel") new mechanics besides dual wielding. Sad that they didn't add complexity somewhere - Why was Arkane so afraid of copy/pasting their Dark Messiah melee mechanics?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom