Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
I've never ignored anyone till now, but then:

You have successfully added Data4 to your ignore list

You ignore me, I ignore you fucker.
Makes perfect sense

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game is OK and worth the dangerous voyage into high seas, but still worse than FONV. IF somebody whines it's too easy just not to use magici and play with standart equpment. On medium every fight is struggle for life when you must use parry, power attacks and leg movement. Quest progression is too quick compared to Morrowind, and writing is average but for the game which came from Bethpizda I'm suprised in positive way.
Why Dragon not Wolf? couse it's a game about Tamarielic Empire and it's provinces not Skyrim on it's own.
Anybody thinks Ulfric Stormfagot is insane? He rebels against Empire ruled by Nords and Cyro-Nords while there is this Huge Elven Dominion wanting to conquer and enslave all Humanity? He thinks that Skyrim alone and destroyed by civil war will destroy Alinor? :retarded: I'm glad I picked Empire side.

Well I'm quite drunk so I initiated a good amount of derp again. But then, to get back on track: Skyrim's quite good. And not only for what it is. It's really on par with Morrowind. Of course, it's not on par with FO:NV but then nothing even scratched the surface of New Vegas in the last ten years.

Data4

Arcane
:lol: Beautiful Clown Painting diddles little boys.

Can't help it. Curiosity is getting the better of me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim is, as general CRPG title, decline as expected.
No character attributes? The skill trees make somewhat up for it but of course not nearly comepletly.
UI is... clunky at best.
No real RPG possibilites so far.
You basically just watch the stories unfold and follow along with a minor input from you here and there. Combat is Hack n Slashy, but at least with _some_ tactics involved, on the higher difficulty levels that is.

BUT all in all Skyrim is a big *incline* over it's predecessor Oblivion IMHO.
If only for the improved level scaling alone. Skyrim actually features enemies that can kill your low level character in one or two hits as well as enemies that in return you are able to kill in one or two hits.
Dungeons aren't just copy & paste rooms and also feature the occasional (very simple) puzzle.

Skyrim has so far been more fun than The Witcher 2 to me. Since the competition this year is alarmingly lacking, Skyrim is even (A)RPG of the Year material in my eyes.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Data4 said:
It's interesting how this thread is evolving and posters (mainly new, or not very active) are positioning themselves to be apologists, just tickling the surface of "fanboy". Now, I've said before that I like Skyrim, but to waste the energy to refute someone else's opinion of it is not my thing.

For those doing this, here's some advice. Don't. Just enjoy the game if you like it. It has no idea you're defending it, and neither does Bethesda. Neither have any interest in rewarding you for your effort.

Or you can keep going. We get the occasional incursion of Bethesdapologists here. While short lived, the skirmishes with the hivemind are pretty entertaining. :)
Oh I'm no apologist. Skyrim is a good game. Anyone coming here to praise any Bethesda game will be attacked here. Why not point fingers at the elitists who reside here that have already decided to dislike anything Bethesda ever makes? I found oblivion dull..and Fallout also dull to some extent. I loved Morrowind and I'm very pleased with Skyrim so far. How does my statement in any way border on fanboyism? It's doesn't. it was just a weak attempt at dismissing a valid opinion.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Playing more, holding up surprisingly well as a decent game. Still "above average" at best, not sure how much more I can see myself putting into it, but it's a nice surprise. Reserving my proper judgement for retrospect, since recent Bethesda games have a nasty habit of seeming great for 10 hours or so before you stop and realise they're functionally terrible in every way - might just be a delayed reaction with Skyjimbob.

One problem I'm having is that the game is definitely more addictive than it is actually enjoyable. I can't stop playing and it's more compulsive than anything. I mean, I'd keep playing anyway, but not this much. What the fuck man.

ThunderHorse

Novice
Shannow said:
Ah, the apologists are starting to come in again. Which is funny, because we (so far) neither hate a lot on Skrym nor is there a codex review to uncover all the faults to get butthurt over (yet). Still hoping they will be as entertaining as in the Oblivion time.
Horsy sure is off to a good start :salute:
But I'm a little disappointed that he didn't even try to weasel out and simply chose the ad hominem route. Ah well, can't have everything.
Ha the fact that so many have become offended when all I've said is that Skyrim is good exposes all of the offended as elitist snobs who've already made up their minds. Saying Skyrim is good makes me an apologist and a fan boy? Do you even realize how stupid that is?

Data4

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
One problem I'm having is that the game is definitely more addictive than it is actually enjoyable. I can't stop playing and it's more compulsive than anything. I mean, I'd keep playing anyway, but not this much. What the fuck man.

I'm having a similar experience. I think for me it's curiosity for the turning point from "Not bad" to "Alright, this sucks. Fuck this shit." In Oblivion, it started with the gates, and then went full derp for me after I completed the Thieves Guild and DB lines. Daedric armor on bandits was the proverbial straw.

So, in a way, I'm trying to find that same point in Skyrim and so far, it's eluded me.

ThunderHorse

Novice
circ said:
ThunderHorse said:
Lol@ your attempts to be condescending. I've played RPG's from ultima, wizardy, eye of the beholder all the way up to Skyrim, Dragon Age, whatever and Lol@ you maticulously trying to refute my observations of the ignorant elitism of many here. The fact that you're offended shows you to be the type I was talking about. Positive Skyrim reviews hurt your sense of self. I'm just unbiased and give credit where it's due. It's like with music. I don't care how popular or unpopular something is, if it's good it's good. I don't bother with such childish things as silly elitism. Skyrim is good...cry about it.
You know what pisses me off, for real? People using LOL in a nonsarcastic manner. Anyway, ok so you've played the usual stuff, supposedly. I say supposedly because those games are like a generic response. I'm not trying to meticulously anything. I'm correcting some very obvious errors on your part, the kind that oh I don't know, would be discussed on TES or Gamefaqs. Only offended by the LOL. LOL. OH LOL. YOU LITTLE FAGGOT. Actually positive Skyrim reviews give me a hardon. Why would they hurt me in any way? As for bias, ok, you're unbiased. But forgive me for saying so, you show up the instant Skyrim is released, defend it fervently and ignore even obvious shortcomings. Look up bias.
The "lol" was because your attempt to condescend was like a hen attempting to fly. I came here the moment I had gotten a feel for Skyrim because elitism and snobbery annoy me to no end and I knew it would be rapmant here...full of people not giving credit where it's due. As I said, it's just as annoying as people not liking a band because of the label it's on. Leave childish preconceptions and biases at the door and put on big boy pants. I never called you a little gay, by the way. You've shown no feminine inclinations.

Data4

Arcane
ThunderHorse said:
Shannow said:
Ah, the apologists are starting to come in again. Which is funny, because we (so far) neither hate a lot on Skrym nor is there a codex review to uncover all the faults to get butthurt over (yet). Still hoping they will be as entertaining as in the Oblivion time.
But I'm a little disappointed that he didn't even try to weasel out and simply chose the ad hominem route. Ah well, can't have everything.
Ha the fact that so many have become offended when all I've said is that Skyrim is good exposes all of the offended as elitist snobs who've already made up their minds. Saying Skyrim is good makes me an apologist and a fan boy? Do you even realize how stupid that is?

It's not saying that Skyrim is good that's offensive. I think it's pretty good so far. It's the way you guys are flying into Fanboy Damage Control Mode when someone who doesn't think it's good has the audacity to express it.

Admiral jimbob said:
Playing more, holding up surprisingly well as a decent game. Still "above average" at best, not sure how much more I can see myself putting into it, but it's a nice surprise. Reserving my proper judgement for retrospect, since recent Bethesda games have a nasty habit of seeming great for 10 hours or so before you stop and realise they're functionally terrible in every way - might just be a delayed reaction with Skyjimbob.

Good games are always addictive. And I know about what you're talking about, I was quite engrossed for 10 hours in Oblivion. But then everything fell down. And as for Fallout 3, I didn't stand more than 8 hours. Like you, I'm a bit scared of what I call the DA:O syndrome: oh, it's cool! And then, 20 hours later: what the fuck, this game is a huge pile of shit. But then, for the time being, I still like it. And I didn't expect nothing from it. A lot like FO:NV (though I still think that FO:NV's a hundred times better).

ThunderHorse

Novice
Data4 said:
ThunderHorse said:
Shannow said:

It's not saying that Skyrim is good that's offensive. I think it's pretty good so far. It's the way you guys are flying into Fanboy Damage Control Mode when someone who doesn't think it's good has the audacity to express it.
I'm far from a fan boy, I just dislike blind bias. If this doesn't apply to you, then good, but you know as well as I do that there are many here that had concrete plans to hate this game before it was released. These people are just as bad as fan boys.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I'm in the 1st city of Whiterun, every indoor location is different and very well done, exploring just the random stuff is very nice and actualy makes me want to go to next building and see what's inside. I did not experience that in previous games like fallout 3 or oblivion because everything was bland and boring, even in new vegas.

Shannow

Waster of Time
ThunderHorse said:
Shannow said:
No. So I'll ask the expert.
Tell me, Horsy, how dumb is it to register on RPGcodex just to defend Skrym?

I always thought stuff like that was extremely stupid, but perhaps the expert will convince me otherwise.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I've been avoiding the cities since Whiterun absolutely killed my framerate. Did this happen to anyone else? Is there a fix, or does it just not happen elsewhere? It's only happened in a couple of other locations, and more sporadically - Whiterun does it about 70% of the time.

attackfighter

Magister
Admiral jimbob said:
I've been avoiding the cities since Whiterun absolutely killed my framerate. Did this happen to anyone else? Is there a fix, or does it just not happen elsewhere? It's only happened in a couple of other locations, and more sporadically - Whiterun does it about 70% of the time.

Surprisingly the game seems to run even better than Oblivion for me :?

I haven't had any problems with the frame rate so far, although I don't think I've been to Whiterun yet.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
It seems tied to NPCs somehow - the city's mostly okay when it's dead (night time). Maybe something to do with this CPU rendering of shadows, I have them whacked onto ultra and my Core 2 Duo E8600 might be struggling with them. Because it's not meant to do that.

Commissar Draco said:
He rebels against Empire ruled by Nords and Cyro-Nords while there is this Huge Elven Dominion wanting to conquer and enslave all Humanity?
Oh, the Thalmor don't want to enslave humanity. They want to erase it.

It's a step toward returning to the divinity of before Mundus's creation. That's also why they forced Talos worship to cease. No one believes in him, he ceases to exist, and unfetters Auriel (as Talos is Lorkhan and is the other side of that relationship). Time returns to the way it was before, Mundus is destroyed, Lorkhan's buggery is undone, and everyone is immortal again.

For those who care.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Admiral jimbob said:
It seems tied to NPCs somehow - the city's mostly okay when it's dead (night time). Maybe something to do with this CPU rendering of shadows, I have them whacked onto ultra and my Core 2 Duo E8600 might be struggling with them. Because it's not meant to do that.

If the problem is really tied to there beeing too many NPCs maybe lowering the 'Actor Fade' in the graphic options might help you.

Personally Jimbob, I put everything on medium and I don't have a single problem, even though I'm playing with the Razor911 version because I fucking hate Steam (the box is still on my mezzanine though, I still did buy it yesterday to support blah blah blah). But no, no problems in Whiterun.

kris

Arcane
Syril said:
I'm in the 1st city of Edoras,

Fixed.

Mangoose said:
So, someone convince me Bethesda's implementation of a Norse setting is interesting and not generic. I mean what's with the Dragon-theme of the plot instead of a proper Norse wolf theme?

Multikult norse setting. Whats up with all the redguards living there?

the setting apart from the visual isn't that special in any way. But they made the conflict interesting (no side from what I seen is good/evil) and locations fairly realistic and interesting.

Gord

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:

Yes, same for me, usually I get 50 to 60 fps, but in some places (or rather when looking in certain directions) in Whiterun it's going down to 30. Reminds me of Nehrim.
You can try to lower shadows, or turn them off (can you? don't know for sure). They are a real performance killer as they choke your cpu and still look terrible. Really, if there's on technical aspect in Skyrim that's really fucked up it's the shadows. They are bad even by Bethesda standards. I would even say what they did with the shadows is worse than the UI if not for the fact that the shadows might actually be fixed by a patch, which is unlikely to happen with the UI.

Edit: Just read that you have shadows on ultra. Definitely lower them to high, almost doubled my framerate in some places. They become even more of an eyesore, yes, but they are anyway ugly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom