Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Skyrim might be better than Oblivion. But still, I think I prefer anal cancer to both of them.

Gord

Arcane
Black said:
What I find very amusing and pathetic at the same time...

Well Oblivion is the predecessor and it did not seem so unreasonable to expect Skyrim to be even worse.
Anyway, as you obviously haven't been able to extract from the numerous posts what different posters considered good, I'll tell some of the things I consider to be good:
* art direction - yeah it's been done before, norse stuff is cool by default, blabla, but honestly I think they have managed to give it some art direction worth of its name this time.
* level design: well yes, obviously if linear=shit for you there's no point in discussing it, but the dungeons I've seen so far looked quite interesting nonetheless - they often tell a short story and they put thought into their design.
* some nice little tidbits here and there that help to flesh out the world a bit. Again, has been done before, has been done better, but that doesn't make it bad.
* writing/quests - are they good? Overall probably more like mediocre. There are some gems, there is some derp. Make of it what you will.

But well, is it worth playing? That's a genuinely interesting question, imho. Myself I'm not sure if it is more than a somewhat amusing timesink. If you are looking for a captivating and dense story (or even one that makes you think) it's surely not the right game for you. This oviously wasn't their goal with the game.
Lately I have started wondering myself if those kind of games are still the right thing for me.
Might be that I'll be bored by it pretty soon...

Trash said:
Yeah, insofar that it's overused, cliched, childish and is usually reserved for the room iq demographic.
I'm sorry if I offended your great genius my master, it shall not happen again!

That is sarcasm, right? iq Kelvin right? Please educate me!

God, I'm unfunny.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The King of Comedy said:
Trash said:
Yeah, insofar that it's overused, cliched, childish and is usually reserved for the room iq demographic.
I'm sorry if I offended your great genius my master, it shall not happen again!

That is sarcasm, right? iq Kelvin right? Please educate me!

God, this is lame.

Congrats for writing one of the saddest excuses of a comeback ever. Seriously, something this lame must have taken effort to produce. :salute:

Leave that username on the way out and pick something more appropriate like underage teen bore or budding accountant.

Relay

Educated
The “perk” system is generic and lacks even a quarter of the personality of the perk system in Fallout. Want a heavy fighter? Choose upgrades on the Heavy Armor skill to watch your armor rating go up 20% per rank. Want a mage? Choose upgrades on Destruction and cast those spells for half price. It’s all very predictable and never seems to involve any tradeoffs.

The perks are a nice addition if you compare the older elder scrolls to skyrim though : you can't make a god-like character who can do it all, anymore. The limited amounts of perk you can take will specialize your character and will not allow you to be both a good fighter and a good wizard at the same time. In Oblivion all it took was to have a high amount of magicka, which meant taking the right sign and race, but you could start off with a specialization in combat or rogue and train your magical skills at a later time and still use them proficiently. Now with the perks you will have to chose a limited amount of skills you want to improve and just training the other skills will not do you any good. Something like the school of destruction will have no use if you don't have the perks that halve the required magicka of spells and improve their damage since spell making is no longer there.

And they cut some of the spells that made other skills useless, like chameleon and open lock.

attackfighter

Magister
KevinV12000 said:
Here is my review...

:thumbsup:

Trash said:
Sure, ignore all the posts with detailed impressions in order to score some KKK.

Most of those detailed impressions are about why it's bad though. BLack wants to know how it's good. I haven't seen any posts go into detail about any specific aspects of the story that were good and I've only seen a few elaborate on the goodness of the quest design and style. There have been tons of posts in this thread about how the writing is supposedly decent, but instead of proper examples we're simply given the line about it being better than Oblivion. So Black's criticism is warranted.

Gord said:
* level design: well yes, obviously if linear=shit for you there's no point in discussing it, but the dungeons I've seen so far looked quite interesting nonetheless - they often tell a short story and they put thought into their design.

The 5 or so dungeons I've slogged through have been overly long, linear, unchallenging and totally forgettable. Basically they're just a bunch of rooms and hallways with a single entrance and exit each, all populated by 1-3 monsters per zone and maybe with a couple traps thrown in. Some of them do tell stories, but the stories are underwhelming and minimalistic.

Gord said:
* writing/quests - are they good? Overall probably more like mediocre. There are some gems, there is some derp. Make of it what you will.

What gems do you speak of? I've only encountered derp.

Random

Arcane
Patron
I accidentally read the topic title as "Skyway is worse than Oblivion in every way".

imokaywiththis.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Most of those detailed impressions are about why it's bad though. BLack wants to know how it's good. I haven't seen any posts go into detail about any specific aspects of the story that were good and I've only seen a few elaborate on the goodness of the quest design and style. There have been tons of posts in this thread about how the writing is supposedly decent, but instead of proper examples we're simply given the line about it being better than Oblivion. So Black's criticism is warranted.

Funny how you only take into account one aspect while disregarding all the other aspects of the game that have been discussed in your reply to a blanket statement. It's like you go that car is good no that car is bad yes this is valid because noone explained how that wheel works. Black is just a herperderper going hurrr. Are you one?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Random said:
I accidentally read the topic title as "Skyway is worse than Oblivion in every way".

well you can't mod Skyway, but he is being constantly updated with new content at no charge

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Fuck you.

Why are people like Trash putting so much effort to defend Skyrim and ad hominem those who question its MAJESTICness?

That's one big ad hominem, cassidy. Kudos.

Although the way it's going /v/ might have become more monocle than the RPGCodex.

Ever since 4chan discovered this place it's been going down the shitter. Fucking chantard decline personified.

Or migrate to TESF and BF3 forums if you can't stand people disagreeing.

The depth and thoughtfulness of your arguments speaks for itself.

made

Arcane
Relay said:
The “perk” system is generic and lacks even a quarter of the personality of the perk system in Fallout. Want a heavy fighter? Choose upgrades on the Heavy Armor skill to watch your armor rating go up 20% per rank. Want a mage? Choose upgrades on Destruction and cast those spells for half price. It’s all very predictable and never seems to involve any tradeoffs.

The perks are a nice addition if you compare the older elder scrolls to skyrim though : you can't make a god-like character who can do it all, anymore. The limited amounts of perk you can take will specialize your character and will not allow you to be both a good fighter and a good wizard at the same time. In Oblivion all it took was to have a high amount of magicka, which meant taking the right sign and race, but you could start off with a specialization in combat or rogue and train your magical skills at a later time and still use them proficiently. Now with the perks you will have to chose a limited amount of skills you want to improve and just training the other skills will not do you any good. Something like the school of destruction will have no use if you don't have the perks that halve the required magicka of spells and improve their damage since spell making is no longer there.

And they cut some of the spells that made other skills useless, like chameleon and open lock.

You can still grind all skills to 100 though and cherry pick the good perks; there's plenty of filler there that you can skip. So yes, with a little planning it's perfectly possible to play a mage in full plate who can cast the best spells, craft and enchant his own armor and open every lock.

Cassidy said:
Why are people like Trash putting so much effort to defend Skyrim and ad hominem those who question its MAJESTICness?

Feels like someone made rpgcodex.net redirect to /v/

Although the way it's going /v/ might have become more monocle than the RPGCodex.

Not surprising.

If you actually visited /v/ once in a while you'd notice the only difference between the two is that we have more poles.

crufty

Arcane
Black said:
What I find very amusing and pathetic at the same time is how suddenly "better than oblivion" became new catch-phrase once skyrim came out. Of course it's a sequel to Oblivion and it's normal to compare it to its predecessor but it seems like many of you don't realize that saying "better than oblivion" says NOTHING about its quality. Last time I checked, Oblivion was a horrible piece of turd, an example of how not to make games, so allow me to be a little sceptical when I hear "yeah, this here sucks but hey, it's better than in Oblivion!"
Has Oblivion become a point 0 of video game quality? 0 and below- shit, above 0- good stuff, should play?
I honestly would like to hear what is GOOD about Skyrim, not in "better than in oblivion or fallout 3" (because they both are amazing examples of good games, right?) but what does it actually do good on its own. What of its story, quest design, music, characters, graphics, animations, style, character development, stability or anything else that's present in the game?
Because, sad as it may be to many of you, if you can only say "better than oblivion" about all those features, then I'm afraid you're playing a bad game. Diarrhoea isn't as bad as cancer but it sure as hell isn't fun to have.
So far from what I've read on the Codex alone it seems like it's a "good for what it is game about walking around and doing nothing". And if so many people here are fine with that and amused by it, then I'd seriously consider if you're not video game junkies, not waiting for any good games, just waiting for another time-consumer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BrhEW22QnQ - do you want this to be in your memory, Codexers?

Fwiw

I am playing on a ps3. Trying not to give spoilers. no way to take screen caps.

This was the first game I have played since gears of war 2. I consider it better then gears of war 2.

This is the first big time rpg I've payed since nwn. I consider it a better then the stock nwn campaign.

I am thinking it may be close to ultima vii. I have not gotten far enough to know. I have turned off my critical thinking for now. The graphics beat the shit out of morrowind and daggerfall. The dungeons are tense affairs with plenty of ass whooping. I went into some kind of hagraven or whatever cave. No reason, found it on the side of a mountain and decided I was all out of bubble gum. It was close to another quest location so why not.

I can't fight head on as I'm in all leather Elven armor, so I sneak and save scumm. I am able to dispatch most nags, hey a Chest. I pick the lock and hey some pricey dwarven loot. I'm saving for a house so yoink. Shit, I can't move. Well, do I really need two sabers?

No. So I drop one. And it clanks. And rolls off the cliff. And clanks its way down the cliff. I freeze...did I just give away my position? I sneak to a corner with a good view. And wait. No monsters. Ok, I go down the cliff. This is an example of the physics engine at work btw.

Nothing. Oh wait, over here is another tunnel. Gimminy crickets thats the biggest caterpillar ive ever seen. I sneak snipe it, and when I finally get noticed, in the melee, i need potions. I have backed up to the prior are before I put it out of its misery. I go back through the room, find some bodies which are looted, then go through a tunnel.

there are some giant caterpillars guarding a moat under a bridge. a save scumm or four later, too tough to fight so I sneak around them. Picked the chest, snagged some loot, none of it great. Then I sneak onward. Another hagraven or whatever they are called, stomping around.

Shit she's coming this way. I hop into a dark corner. She stops, sniffs the air, turns to face me. She sniffs and wonders off. Phew! One step forward and she would have spotted me. I notch an arrow and it's go time!

Plowing forward, a door type I've never seen before. Open it. Damn....my first set of dwarven ruins! Crap crap crap. This was just a diversion. I really don't want to fight what's inside. But lets see whats it all about. First. Everything is slanty and the room design is nicely otherworldly / mechanical. I see a big boss hag, and some kind of thing stomping around. I sneak across the room for a closer view; there is a hutt, and the boss hut is open. Sneak in. Some heavy stuff that I can't grab. I hustle out and try to scope out what's up. A failed assination and save scumm later, I conclude I am vastly overpowered. This is a tough fight and I'm on my way to a misc quest mission. Low on potions. I just need to get out. I peep out an exit. Next to the hag.

I sneak over to an opposite corner, and fire an arrow. The hag and automaton go check it out. I hide behind a pillar, then keeping to the shadows make my way over to the exit. The hag is off stomping around so up and at em! I scope out the hallway and it's got no loot, and does lead to skyrim.

Go sneak back to the boss room.I don't see any obvious treasure chests though I do see some dwarven things that might be worth cash. Some other day. The bosses are busy clomping around back where I'm at.

Hop up and fire an arrow at the automaton. Detected! See yah suckers. I sprint for the exit and freedom. Where is my god damn horse!

Shit two giants and a wooly mammoth. I haven't dealt with these guys, I'm running low on potion thanks to that one caterpillar monster. Would be nice to get off this mountain, but the last thing i need to do is get sent to outerspace. So I go up on the mountain.

The map says the quest location is around here. So I start threading my way across the mountain (see how the dwarven ruin ties in....deep in a mountain) . Ah! There's a overhang over there. A shrine of talos! Nice. Pop over, give up the artifact, which because I am doing this reveals some insight about the quest giver...game doesn't tell me outright, but I as a human can infer it. Sweet! No csi monologue telling me "a b c". It's on me to deduce. Pretty interesting actually.

Since my horse is Mia, fast travel back to the questing city.

Up to you decide if it's shit or not!

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh, it's a AAA title. Of course it will have some degree of entertainment to it (not saying fun), but that doesn't make it particularly good or of any artistic value.
As for Skyrim...I have been playing it for a few days. It's addicting. But the only reason for it being an improvement over Oblivion is due to Oblivions major flaws which are physically impossible to be made worse.
And, to be honest, I like it. The amount of lore that is in it is pretty good, as well as the world's aesthetics. As for the voice acting...there is something oddly appealing about it, it's hard to explain as I tend to like games that are being criticized for their voice acting.
Surprisingly, I am enjoying it. There are not many memorable things, but I am definitely having fun with it despite the extreme balance issues and unbalanced level scaling.

Flubby

Novice
I keep restarting and changing my character. I think I have OCD or something.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Re: Fuck you.

Cassidy said:
Trash said:

That's one big ad hominem, cassidy. Kudos.

I'm just wondering why, and to question the motivation of people for defending AAA games in a place like RPGCodex(easiest guess is trolling, but there is too much trying too hard itt for all cases to be only trolls) is different from calling them idiotic retards giving free publicity to Bethsoft and EA. If you like the game, the fact skyway claims it is banal shit boring wouldn't affect your enjoyment of it, would it?

Nah. The amount of bullshit being swallowed whole because it's all so edgy and taking it to da man and all is however fucking annoying. Lame empty catchphrases, hyperbole and kneejerk reactions do not an elitist forum make.

Trash said:
Or migrate to TESF and BF3 forums if you can't stand people disagreeing.

The depth and thoughtfulness of your arguments speaks for itself.

Man, you have been defending certain AAA games lately because you played them and somehow it seems you cannot help yourself but leap in with such defensiveness every time anyone criticizes them. I don't think I need to really go into a deep questioning and make a complex point about such a small fact.

Thing is, I've called the game mediocre at best several times now. What are you going on about?

anyone criticizes them.

Actually this warrants a better reply. I'd love to see people criticize games. What I see however is the same herper derpers spewing forth the same tiresome one-liners at every opportunity in order to score some KKKredits. 4chandex sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom