Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
ThunderHorse said:
Well this is totally false. If you just run in swinging, youll have many..many deaths. Unless you mean "clic click click" as in mouse clicks in which case any game youll ever play is click click.
So please explain how Skyrim's combat compares to Dark Messiah, Mount & Blade, and/or Severance?

ThunderHorse

Novice
circ said:
Hi, TES shill.
ThunderHorse said:
I know it's not cool to like games by big companies here..
Interplay, once upon a time, was big. Microprose, huge.
ThunderHorse said:
or to like games that get good reviews elsewhere..
Pretty sure Fallout 1 got fairly decent reviews at the time, unless you mean 95/100 9/10 and inflation like that that you see these days.
ThunderHorse said:
or to like games made in the last 10 years, but I don't care about these things.
For something recent, I think a large portion of the codex enjoys CoH and DoW 1/2. Unless you meant RPG's, but you don't know what that is do you?
Lol@ your attempts to be condescending. I've played RPG's from ultima, wizardy, eye of the beholder all the way up to Skyrim, Dragon Age, whatever and Lol@ you maticulously trying to refute my observations of the ignorant elitism of many here. The fact that you're offended shows you to be the type I was talking about. Positive Skyrim reviews hurt your sense of self. I'm just unbiased and give credit where it's due. It's like with music. I don't care how popular or unpopular something is, if it's good it's good. I don't bother with such childish things as silly elitism. Skyrim is good...cry about it.

Don't worry about the quest compass Morkar. If you can't afford it now, just go TPB and then buy the game if you like it. But really, it's quite good. Not as good as FO:NV but still, it's the best Bethesda game since Morrowind.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Beautiful Clown Painting said:
ohWOW said:
Fuck you moron, you were not even born and computers didn't exist at the time. Surrender to your ass, crazy child. You watch too much TV, read a fucking book and come back the next week.
I bet French can even surrender to my ass as well, all right!

ohWOW said:
ohWOW said:
Fuck you moron, you were not even born and computers didn't exist at the time. Surrender to your ass, crazy child. You watch too much TV, read a fucking book and come back the next week.
I bet French can even surrender to my ass as well, all right!

Yeah mate, suck my dick. I love retards who can't even quote.

Data4

Arcane
It's interesting how this thread is evolving and posters (mainly new, or not very active) are positioning themselves to be apologists, just tickling the surface of "fanboy". Now, I've said before that I like Skyrim, but to waste the energy to refute someone else's opinion of it is not my thing.

For those doing this, here's some advice. Don't. Just enjoy the game if you like it. It has no idea you're defending it, and neither does Bethesda. Neither have any interest in rewarding you for your effort.

Or you can keep going. We get the occasional incursion of Bethesdapologists here. While short lived, the skirmishes with the hivemind are pretty entertaining. :)

Data4 said:
It's interesting how this thread is evolving and posters (mainly new, or not very active) are positioning themselves to be apologists, just tickling the surface of "fanboy". Now, I've said before that I like Skyrim, but to waste the energy to refute someone else's opinion of it is not my thing.

For those doing this, here's some advice. Don't. Just enjoy the game if you like it. It has no idea you're defending it, and neither does Bethesda. Neither have any interest in rewarding you for your effort.

Or you can keep going. We get the occasional incursion of Bethesdapologists here. While short lived, the skirmishes with the hivemind are pretty entertaining. :)

The hivemind is all in your mind, mate.

I was just so bored with fucking Jaesun who goes "TROLOLOLO I'll ask for the best RPG of 2011 before Skyrim comes out" and Skyway who shits "TROLOLOLO herpa derpa gliik gluk bluk herpa derpa". Then I said to myself: what a wonderful world.

Data4

Arcane
1zf4pc1.jpg

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
Yeah mate, suck my dick. I love retards who can't even quote.
Sucking dick to eachother is another thing, you French, enjoy very much, just after surrendering to everyone who will ever try to threat you and loosing EVERY battle possible!

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I was not talking to you Data 4, you're a decent guy.
France surrenders already once again! I bet Pétain said same thing to Hitler after French lost all battles possible in '40.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Ah, the apologists are starting to come in again. Which is funny, because we (so far) neither hate a lot on Skrym nor is there a codex review to uncover all the faults to get butthurt over (yet). Still hoping they will be as entertaining as in the Oblivion time.
Horsy sure is off to a good start :salute:
But I'm a little disappointed that he didn't even try to weasel out and simply chose the ad hominem route. Ah well, can't have everything.

To get back to the subject, what do you think of Skyrim, ohWow (and no, the french are not involved in the game)?

(If you're up to this shit we can go fight in GD, I'll open a "BCP vs ohWOW" thread, just PM me, I want your mouth, baby).

circ

Arcane
ThunderHorse said:
Lol@ your attempts to be condescending. I've played RPG's from ultima, wizardy, eye of the beholder all the way up to Skyrim, Dragon Age, whatever and Lol@ you maticulously trying to refute my observations of the ignorant elitism of many here. The fact that you're offended shows you to be the type I was talking about. Positive Skyrim reviews hurt your sense of self. I'm just unbiased and give credit where it's due. It's like with music. I don't care how popular or unpopular something is, if it's good it's good. I don't bother with such childish things as silly elitism. Skyrim is good...cry about it.
You know what pisses me off, for real? People using LOL in a nonsarcastic manner. Anyway, ok so you've played the usual stuff, supposedly. I say supposedly because those games are like a generic response. I'm not trying to meticulously anything. I'm correcting some very obvious errors on your part, the kind that oh I don't know, would be discussed on TES or Gamefaqs. Only offended by the LOL. LOL. OH LOL. YOU LITTLE FAGGOT. Actually positive Skyrim reviews give me a hardon. Why would they hurt me in any way? As for bias, ok, you're unbiased. But forgive me for saying so, you show up the instant Skyrim is released, defend it fervently and ignore even obvious shortcomings. Look up bias.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
To get back to the subject, what do you think of Skyrim, ohWow (and no, the french are not involved in the game)?
Played only 4h, but it seems it's not as dumb and shallow as Oblivion was. It doesn't mean it's good game already because of that.

Well I'm a fucking oldfag, my favourite games are Ultima V, PS:T, Wasteland, FO:NV and Dragon Wars. Fallout, Arcanum, U7, Bloodlines were already decline. BG2, ToEE are shit. Skyrim and Morrowind are better. And that's the short and long of it.

attackfighter

Magister
Here are some examples of shitty writing that I feel like posting (minor spoilers):

In Winterhold you're challenged to a drinking contest by a tavern patron. If you accept, you're treated to very dull and forced dialogue as the guy downs one mug of ale before surrendering. You then also drink some ale (2 mugs) and black out. You then wake up on the other side of the map and are treated to a few more lines of uninspired dialogue as some woman recounts how you trashed her temple in your drunkeness. You have the option of persuading her, bribing her, or none of the above. If you fail to bribe or persuade her into not caring about what you did, she declares that she wants you to clean up your mess. Cleaning up your mess consists of picking up two or three bottles of wine scattered around the room and a note. Whether you clean up the mess or not doesn't seem to matter. Truly a gripping and delightfully humorous quest, bravo Todd, bravo.

During the mage guild questline you again find yourself in Winterhold. Winterhold is supposedly being attacked by... "magical anomelies" aka glowing balls of light that have lots of health. Why are they there? Well, something happened at the mage guild which is nearby, I guess. There was a big magical orb at the guild, and a bad guy was doing crazy experiments to it. So anyways, someone at the guild has sent you to investigate Winterhold and check if it's alright, so you go to Winterhold find these anomalies, kill them and then what? Well no one ever mentions anything about this plot point again. No one in the town seems to know about it, much less care, and the people at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraf- err I mean mage guild don't seem to care either. It's basically just a throwaway quest where you fight boring enemies with tons of health with two immortal companions who are sent with you (oh yeah I forgot to mention two of your unkillable colleagues decide to help you).

ALl in all, these were truly some majestic experiences.

Data4

Arcane
You have successfully added Beautiful Clown Painting to your ignore list.

There's amusing and then there's fucking annoying.

Anyway... I was thinking about the engine and the overall atmosphere and how it could be changed with modding. Everything seems grimdark, even when the sun is shining. I wonder if it's possible to make something completely different in a mod. Say, for instance, something like a section of Cyrodiil a la Oblivion, with the bright blue sky and vibrant greens. It was bland in Oblivion because the whole damned game looked like that, but if you wanted to make a bright, green, more temperate area, I wonder if the engine supports it.

Anyone know anything about the construction set and when it's supposed to be out?

Tel Prydain

Augur
circ said:
I only played it for an hour or thereabouts. Followed a stormsomething guy and then went to his sister? in Riversomething, so perhaps I am not much of an authority on it as some who have played it 7 times. But.
Can't wait... please, enlighten those of us who have actually played past the tutorial.

circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
Short version: Skyrim fixes Oblivion’s biggest shortfalls.
I couldn't tell. Short version - Oblivion with more graphical glitches. But the world feels more alive! Really? I met some hunter with his dog, hunting something I guess, on my way to Riversomething. I tried to talk to him once he put his bow away, but he just ignored me.
Cool. Was that in the two minutes you spent exploring the world.

:retarded:

circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
Oblivion was so damn generic. Dungeons were built out of stock sections, so similar you’d swear it was procedurally generated. Identical ruins were scattered throughout the world, identical each time you found one. The world itself was bland and cookie-cutter as it could be.
Ok, I only went through the introductory dungeon, but it sure looked like Oblivion all over again. Once outside, I found some herbs, I thought neat, and tried to find some more but it wasn't so easy because everything looked the same.
Cool story, bro.
circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
The loot was generic –all the items were too much alike, and without any unique items there was little reward for marching down the bottom of a dungeon. You’d likely only find the same randomly generated items you’d find in any chest in the world.
Hmm, you don't think Skyrim loot is generic? I found a lot of Imperial armor and weapons, bottles, food, gold coins - just like in every other fantasy game. How is that not generic?

The items you find as rewards in dungeons are more unique and appropriate than Oblivion.
I'm sorry if anything I said somehow implied you'd be wowed by super unique bottles in the opening hour of the game.

circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
The spells were generic – because spellcrafting let you create your own spells. The obvious problem it had was that being able to craft any spell you can imagine means that no spell is unique. If there are no unique spells, then you have no compelling rewards to give wizards.
Sooo... Having an unlimited array of spells was generic, but having a set spell set isn't? I see.
Correct... because if there is a set spell list, and some of those are rare, that makes it unique within the game, and therefore it's fun to find. Unlike any spell in Oblivion, none of which are fun to find, because whatever you found was no different to what you could make yourself.
circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
Characters were generic… and nothing beyond personal dedication stopped the characters becoming a samey mish-mash of skills.
Sooo... How are you arriving at this conclusion? You don't even have skills anymore, you have hp, mana and something else I forget. How does that make you more unique exactly?
The 208 perks give some leeway for character building.
circ said:
Tel Prydain said:
Even the gameplay was generic. Level scaling meant that every battle was an equally generic challenge – no mater where you were exploring.
You know how every battle for me went in Skyrim? Click click click. About the same as Oblivion then.
A) I was talking about scaled encounters vs non-levelled encounters.
B) I did say it was the same crap combat.

Tel Prydain

Augur
Shannow said:
Ah, the apologists are starting to come in again
All I'm saying is that it's better than Oblivion and as fun as Morrowind. Those aren't particularly fucking high bars we're discussing here.

Tel Prydain

Augur
I've never ignored anyone till now, but then:

You have successfully added Data4 to your ignore list

You ignore me, I ignore you fucker.
YEAH! That'll fucken show him!

:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom