Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

MCA
I was following your logic till you said

Neither TW3 or DA3 will match the recipe because TW series have a predefined protagonist, retarded combat

implying that TES combat isn't completely retarded. Then you wrote

No, TES combat is completely retarded but it's sort of free flowing. It's an inherent part of the free movement unlike the other games. So from a free-movement open-world sandbox game perspective, TW's stuttering click-roll-fests and the flashy arcady retardedness of DA2 are relatively retarded, even though TES combat itself also is.

The reason TES combat is retarded is lack of vision and shallowness and even within that field, it's still quite unoriginal instead of being just offendingly abysmal.

Plus consolitis design.

implying that Skyrim wasn't the ultimate form of consolitis, and I knew you'd lost your mind.

Poor wording perhaps. What I had in mind with that post was that all game systems in Bethesda games work in tandem with respect to the open world design philosophy while the experience is pretty segmented in the other two (to the point of having game areas exclusively designated as non-combat "dialogue areas"). In that regard, Skyrim is still a deeper game than the others due to the complexity and the emergent utilisation of game systems, despite mechanical shallowness and defunct RP design. And we all saw just how good that system can get with FNV, despite the shit that carried over from FO3.

The reason I called it "consolitis design" for the other games is that that kind of complexity is rather rare and ultimately useless for console games which only choose to focus on small set pieces to tell bigger better stories.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
What I mean is that everything that really affects "the game", i.e. quests, story, etc. is done in a way that doesn't actually allow much freedom (in Morrowind you had more freedom in many quests, including MQ than in Skyrim) .
Of course you can rob some random house or kill some random NPC (unless he's essential for some reason or other), but it won't affect much.

OTOH, while Bethesda with every iteration promises to provide that great AI that will finally get rid of essential NPCs or make them react somewhat plausible to the player screwing up stuff, it in the end never happens.
I agree that Bethesda is doing something we don't see on that scale from other devs, but I think that they stay far below what could be or what they could do, instead preferring to "play it safe".

They don't need to have essential NPCs as is, the game has a semi-essential setting which makes an NPC only killable by the player. They just take their audience for retards, which, to be fair, is a mostly accurate assumption.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Estrus came out for Skyrim, so maybe I'll get around to buying and playing it in the next year or two, so I can break it in much the same manner that I broke Oblivion. I was a popular gladiator because of that spell. 50% of my humanoid opponents never had a chance...

:D

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What I mean is that everything that really affects "the game", i.e. quests, story, etc. is done in a way that doesn't actually allow much freedom (in Morrowind you had more freedom in many quests, including MQ than in Skyrim) .
Of course you can rob some random house or kill some random NPC (unless he's essential for some reason or other), but it won't affect much.

That's not what these people are looking for, you're going in a way different direction here. They want to have the GTA style fun of wiping out a town for the fuck of it or putting a cactus on everyone's head or whatever the fuck else.

Bethesda is good at theme park design and that is what makes their games sell.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aspies gonna aspie

http://www.thuum.org/index.php

tumblr_mp7o30AYFE1rquycro10_500.jpg

tumblr_mp7o30AYFE1rquycro4_250.jpg

tumblr_mp7o30AYFE1rquycro8_500.jpg

505654-mk.jpg

Grim Monk

Arcane
Why The Elder Scrolls Isn't Dumbing Down:

Why The Elder Scrolls Isn't Dumbing Down - Part 2:

He's speaking, but I can't seem to understand...:hmmm:
What point that this guy trying to make, can you figure it out....

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
The only hope for TES is that ... frankly I'm not sure how much more "epic" crap Bethesda can make up, I mean they just had the dragons invasion and before that the demon invasion... hopefully after they get done with the highelf ass-rape invasion, they will have no where left to go but back to some semblance realism... The Fallout series has no hope, will just end up being skyrim 2.0 with an invasion of flying green mutant lizards and dual wielding pistols.

Kahlis

Cipher
The only hope for TES is that ... frankly I'm not sure how much more "epic" crap Bethesda can make up, I mean they just had the dragons invasion and before that the demon invasion... hopefully after they get done with the highelf ass-rape invasion, they will have no where left to go but back to some semblance realism...
TES Online will probably beat Bethesda to doing away with any remaining believability in the series. The premise is basically Oblivion but even more epic, with Molag Bal wanting to merge his plane with that of the Mundus. I'm sure he'll be accompanied by a revived cybernetic Dwemer Alduin (from the future, in the past, Skyrim continuity nod hue hue), Jagar Tharn's ancestors (the entire family was evil mages) and Dagoth Ur. It'll be instanced too, so people make their majestic stand against them every other hour.

M'aiq the Liar will be there too, because it turns out he's actually Sheogorath haha how cool is DAE oblivion was a game that existed cheese for ever1

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone can recommend a Archer-heavy mod?
I only took the arrow crafting ones so far, but I feel there's gotta more to this.
It's the only part of the game I enjoyed a lot.

RK47

Patron
So, how do you actually make magic awesome in this game? Tried a Destruction based run but didn't even get Destruction to get to 30 before CONJURATION EXPLODES INTO THE SCENE WITH FIRE ATRONACH SUMMONING AND DUAL BOUND SWORD ZOMG I HAVE PURPLEZWORDZ AND FACE RAPES IN MELEE AT LEVEL 5.

OK. seriously. How ?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So, how do you actually make magic awesome in this game? Tried a Destruction based run but didn't even get Destruction to get to 30 before CONJURATION EXPLODES INTO THE SCENE WITH FIRE ATRONACH SUMMONING AND DUAL BOUND SWORD ZOMG I HAVE PURPLEZWORDZ AND FACE RAPES IN MELEE AT LEVEL 5.

OK. seriously. How ?

Destruction in Skyrim sucks. It's really only useful as a supplement to a one-handed weapon with an agile character.

RK47

Patron
The slight level scaling favors Bound Swords so much too. Cause no way in hell you get access to those grade of weapons early game. But the downside is Conjuration levels up too quickly and you start having not much skills to invest into.
I'm somewhat disappointed with the magic power in this game after experiencing 'one shot-one-kill archer' simply slow-mo skirmishing everyone to death in heavy armor.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The slight level scaling favors Bound Swords so much too. Cause no way in hell you get access to those grade of weapons early game. But the downside is Conjuration levels up too quickly and you start having not much skills to invest into.
I'm somewhat disappointed with the magic power in this game after experiencing 'one shot-one-kill archer' simply slow-mo skirmishing everyone to death in heavy armor.

Yeah, archery is win button. I have played two characters, an archer and a spellsword, and the archer had a ten times easier path through the game. Completely unbalanced.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron

OK. seriously. How ?
Get a mod that scales destruction damage (which happens with NPC mages but not with player mage in vanilla).

RK47

Patron
OK, what about armor enchant choices?
Archer builds go for Archery boosts. Cause 20% boost of damage is insane when all 4 pieces (Hand, Helm, Ring, Amulet) are combined together.
Same deal with 1H/2H - they need damage, though in 1H case - you better off dual wield or you're not taking advantage of the dual enchant damage.
For mages....eh. I don't know what to give him. He could use more HP, cause he has none. He could use more armor, cause he's like tissue. But mana regen is a bitch, and spamming pot is pretty normal for non-Bound weapon builds.
Mages are utter shite overall in vanilla.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
OK, what about armor enchant choices?
Archer builds go for Archery boosts. Cause 20% boost of damage is insane when all 4 pieces (Hand, Helm, Ring, Amulet) are combined together.
Same deal with 1H/2H - they need damage, though in 1H case - you better off dual wield or you're not taking advantage of the dual enchant damage.
For mages....eh. I don't know what to give him. He could use more HP, cause he has none. He could use more armor, cause he's like tissue. But mana regen is a bitch, and spamming pot is pretty normal for non-Bound weapon builds.
Mages are utter shite overall in vanilla.
Fortify Destruction potions increase damage, while Fortify Destruction enchantments reduce casting cost (which is useless because there are perks that do the same + you can increase mana every level up if you want).

Some Bethesda dev must've fucked up and they didn't care enough to fix it themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom