Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim scans

Nael

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Misterhamper said:
Official dev post on level scaling

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?ap ... d=16933097

Gstaff, on 08 January 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:
"Since people are asking, wanted to briefly touch on level scaling. All our games have had some amount of randomness/levelling based on player level. Skyrim's is similar to Fallout 3's, not Oblivion's.

Hope that addresses some concerns, and we hope you're enjoying the GI cover story.

Have a great night"

How was FO3's compared to Oblivs? Never got far in FO3

AFAIK, it spawned better enemies as you gained levels in areas you haven't visited yet.

IE: you were level 1 and went into a new area of the map, you might run into mole rats. at level 20, you might run into death claws or yao guai.

But there were still some places where you could find Deathclaws and Yao Guai at level 1 and molerats at level 20. The level scaling wasn't as glaringly bad in FO3 as it was in Oblivion but it was still apparent.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Trash said:
What!?! No mention of radiant AI?
http://www.giantbomb.com/the-elder-scro ... -475292/#3
Unlike Oblivion, NPCs actually react to things and events around them. An example they give is lets say you drop a sword in a town, some things that might happen as a result are a child may pick it up and return it to you, or two burly guys might come across it and fight over it. Another example is that if you kill a shop owner, then perhaps his or her sister will inherit the shop and run it. She might also give you any quest(s) the guy you killed would have offered you, but might not because she might know you're the one who killed her brother.
:lol:
Calling complete bullshit on the first example. It's the shopkeeper killing the dog all over again. The second example is probably true, but it's just a quest-specific if->then script, rather than something universal to the AI of all characters. In fact, it's impossible to make it universal in a game with full voice acting, unless it's generated on the fly by a synthesizer.

racofer

Thread Incliner
On a side note, I'm pleased technology has finally been developed enough to implement dual wielding in games.

:incline:

Nael

Arcane
racofer said:
On a side note, I'm pleased technology has finally been developed enough to implement dual wielding in games.

star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-darth-vader-crossing-lightsabers-3700095.jpg

Unfortunate they had to cut the dual wielding Darth Vader from ESB due to a lack of technology. We truly live in fascinating times, my friend.

Silellak

Cipher
Someone please start collecting all these Todd quotes into a text document for reference during the Codex Skyrim review.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I think they are recycling some of the combat AI examples they used for Oblivion's promotion: the guy challenging you to a duel in the middle of a town, and the NPCs picking the weapons you drop. At least I seem to remember something similar from back then.

If they follow a similar promotion we will soon have a Fargoth/Megaton/Dark Brotherhood sample quest as a misleading look at the complexity of the quests. That one with the sister inheriting the shop sounds like a good candidate.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
lets say you drop a sword in a town, some things that might happen as a result are a child may pick it up and return it to you
That's just annoying. :decline:

Now, if you could take the sword and chop off the kid's head... :incline:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Abraxas said:
I think they are recycling some of the combat AI examples they used for Oblivion's promotion: the guy challenging you to a duel in the middle of a town, and the NPCs picking the weapons you drop. At least I seem to remember something similar from back then.

If they follow a similar promotion we will soon have a Fargoth/Megaton/Dark Brotherhood sample quest as a misleading look at the complexity of the quests. That one with the sister inheriting the shop sounds like a good candidate.

Yeah the first example was used to show how awesome the AI is.

Turned out it was just fanfiction written by the devs because the AI was never capable of doing anything like that. The devs claimed they "toned down" the AI features so the NPCs don't go around killing each other accidentally, screwing up the game, but yeah... it was never actually on such a level.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Admiral jimbob said:
I want my Khajiit to slide down a hill in bullet time on his back (with his shield) while waving swords in all four paws
Will you LP the game, your admiralness, if it's sufficiently terrible?

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Well ignoring the fact that most of the things they have said most likely wont be in the game and that it will just be Oblivion 2...

The UI... God my eyes are bleeding :'(
Why the hell would ANYONE do a UI like that... Ok stupid question for consoles... I hope they will make a PC version UI... But i wont hold my breath.

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
Yeah the first example was used to show how awesome the AI is.

Turned out it was just fanfiction written by the devs because the AI was never capable of doing anything like that. The devs claimed they "toned down" the AI features so the NPCs don't go around killing each other accidentally, screwing up the game, but yeah... it was never actually on such a level.

Ah yes, I remember now. It was Steve Meister explaining a combat scene in the Oblivion's Team Diary.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Begriffenfeldt said:
lets say you drop a sword in a town, some things that might happen as a result are a child may pick it up and return it to you
That's just annoying. :decline:

Now, if you could take the sword and chop off the kid's head... :incline:
Oh shit, Skyrim has children.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
esskyrimscan10.jpg

Voice shit appears to be implemented in the game too.

:incline: x2
esskyrimscan9.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
KalosKagathos said:
So yelling can make you sneak better? Makes sense.

Codexfag illiteracy strikes again. You don't yell those particular words, you whisper them. It actually says that explicitly.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Mastermind said:
KalosKagathos said:
So yelling can make you sneak better? Makes sense.

Codexfag illiteracy strikes again. You don't yell those particular words, you whisper them. It actually says that explicitly.
So you whisper Dragon Shouts? Makes sense.

7hm

Scholar
It's like arcane knowledge. It used to be done more in the past. But your ability to absorb the dragon souls and do the shouts on the level that you can is beyond them.

:?

This is going to suck.

Quilty

Magister
It doesn't look nearly as retarded as Oblivion. Gameplay is going to suck, without a doubt, but at least maybe it won't be ugly as shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom