Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Special Edition

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Also how is it possible that Bethesda is giving this away for free on PC? Is Zenimax the good guys suddenly ?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also how is it possible that Bethesda is giving this away for free on PC? Is Zenimax the good guys suddenly ?

They want you to realize you're missing some DLC in order to qualify for free SE, look up prices and decide to either A) buy the overpriced DLC you lack or B) just buy the Legendary Edition even though you already own the base game. They win either way while looking as good guys for giving it away freely.

CFe03fyWMAI31IZ.jpg

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bethesda neither gets Fallout, nor cares about it as much.

Thats true but still even if you do not get themes of Fallout or care about its lore you can still make a visually stunning game.

What do you do with a crazy sci fi setting, though?

You can do a lot of things if you have imagination. Take just Fallout 1 and copy some of its locations into first person game. How much more impressive would be Glow when seen from first person then anything in Fallout 4, and its just a huge hole in the ground. There are some visually nice locations in Fallout 4, the problem is that they are covered by a sea of shit.

It's a lot easier to make good looking terrain when you're basing it upon some of the most beautiful landscapes in the real world rather than on a pile of nuclear rubble.

You can find some stunning pieces of post-apocalyptic cities on deviantart though, so Bethesda could have made a pretty fallout 4 if they had bothered. We know the engine can do it.

Fallout 4 has the worst designed gameworld (both aesthetically and gameplay wise) then any other Bethesda game. 200 years after nuclear war most of the world should no longer be just a nuclear rubble but much more greenery, with abandoned buildings covered with it and settlements no longer made of junk.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
a 4gb vidya card in recommended, damn ! and original skyrim had a 512mb card

pippin

Not really. Companies of different sizes are doing this now. After all, the main objective is to take as much money as you can from the console audience.

DraQ

Arcane
Bethesda neither gets Fallout, nor cares about it as much.

Thats true but still even if you do not get themes of Fallout or care about its lore you can still make a visually stunning game.
Yeah, but if you don't "get" a setting, you can't meaningfully alter or expand anything about it without losing the already tenuous grasp you have on it. You may own the IP but you need some level of consistency, otherwise even the casuls will call bullshit.

Notice how FO3, with some exceptions, stuck close to the original's aesthetics. Aesthetics is easiest to replicate and perceived even by the most moronic audiences. So is throwing in a bunch of zany popculture shit and claiming it's just like Fallout's easter eggs (and Bloody Mess, it's HILARIOS!).

Replicating intricate quest structures or meaningfully expanding or advancing the setting itself is hard, therefore I don't think Bethesda's Fallouts will ever be anything but desaturated piles of radioactive rubble - that's the only thing that maintains any sort of connection between their games and the IP they hold, even adding vegetation and non-junk settlements and items would break the illusion of Beth's Fallout being in any way related to Fallout.
It's symptomatic that while Beth opted to stick to Fallout tokens - Vaults, Supermutant antagonists, BoS, Enclave, Harold with his fucking tree etc. Obsidian could freely dissociate from that and tell a completely different story, with completely different actors while staying firmly within FO universe.

They may be able to re-incline TES and do many interesting things with it, but I doubt they will ever do such a thing with FO because they are unable to and know it.
They will happily use it to experiment with stuff in different directions than they take their flagship, though - notice what happened to skill systems in Skyrim and FO4.

(Granted, I haven't played FO4 but tell me if I'm wrong. I must credit Bethesda for concept - if not the execution - of "mountable" PA, though.)

You can do a lot of things if you have imagination. Take just Fallout 1 and copy some of its locations into first person game. How much more impressive would be Glow when seen from first person then anything in Fallout 4, and its just a huge hole in the ground.
I just came.

The only thing comparable to FPP Glow would be some locations in STALKER.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Mounting power armor is a good idea if done well, but they made it retarded.

- You get Power Armor at start
- There is plenty of power armor scattered around the world, making it another junk armor
- fuel cells draining is also retarded

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, but if you don't "get" a setting, you can't meaningfully alter or expand anything about it without losing the already tenuous grasp you have on it. You may own the IP but you need some level of consistency, otherwise even the casuls will call bullshit.

Notice how FO3, with some exceptions, stuck close to the original's aesthetics. Aesthetics is easiest to replicate and perceived even by the most moronic audiences. So is throwing in a bunch of zany popculture shit and claiming it's just like Fallout's easter eggs (and Bloody Mess, it's HILARIOS!).

Replicating intricate quest structures or meaningfully expanding or advancing the setting itself is hard, therefore I don't think Bethesda's Fallouts will ever be anything but desaturated piles of radioactive rubble - that's the only thing that maintains any sort of connection between their games and the IP they hold, even adding vegetation and non-junk settlements and items would break the illusion of Beth's Fallout being in any way related to Fallout.
It's symptomatic that while Beth opted to stick to Fallout tokens - Vaults, Supermutant antagonists, BoS, Enclave, Harold with his fucking tree etc. Obsidian could freely dissociate from that and tell a completely different story, with completely different actors while staying firmly within FO universe.

They may be able to re-incline TES and do many interesting things with it, but I doubt they will ever do such a thing with FO because they are unable to and know it.
They will happily use it to experiment with stuff in different directions than they take their flagship, though - notice what happened to skill systems in Skyrim and FO4.

(Granted, I haven't played FO4 but tell me if I'm wrong. I must credit Bethesda for concept - if not the execution - of "mountable" PA, though.)

The reason Bethesda doesnt even try to understand Fallout (beside being lazy) is that overwhelming majority of their fans dont know or care about original Fallouts and its lore. Just like they dont care about producing great quality products since they know their fans will buy anything.
n this kind of environment when neither the developers or majority of their fans care about details of the setting, it is then that you can do anything since noone really cares about continuity. Which they did, the problem is that all the new things they did add are fucking retarded and they even managed turn everything else retarded too. As you say Bethesda is constantly trying to remind everyone that their Fallout games are true Fallout games with all the tokens they keep recycling. No matter in which time frame or location of the states the game will be placed, there will always be armies of supermutants, BoS and other iconic Fallout elements, even if they make no sense being there.

I still believe that Bethesda can make a visually great Fallout game, not great gameplay wise but great aesthetically. As I said Fallout 4 has simply horrible world design both visually and gameplay wise, I could rant how awful it is for days. In my opinion Bethesda should abandon the pretense that they care about Fallout universe and just make a FPRPG set in realistic post apocalyptic world, loosing the quirkiness of Fallout and theme park design mentality would do wonders for future games.

I just came.

The only thing comparable to FPP Glow would be some locations in STALKER.

STALKER is a great example of how you can make visually stunning post apocalyptic game, I wish more developers would take notes from it.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All you really need to play skyrim is SkyUI and unofficial bug fixes mod.

I wonder how many bugs they fixed in special edition though

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I had to recently cull my mod list. It started getting too laggy. Is this going to enable more scripts or is this just an entire engine thing?

I think I went overkill on the scripts with Wildcat, Wet and Cold, RND, SIC, AAE, ASIS, 3DNPC, and a few more. Always happens because it starts out really well but becomes almost unplayable later. I thought without Requiem I could add some more script heavy mods, but it didn't really work as planned.

throwaway

Cipher
Special modder touch, more likely.

Whatever you say about Bethesda, they get credit for using DoF and the like subtly and responsibly in Skyrim - something no other devs seem to do, yet those screens look as if they were taken underwater.
Meanwhile modders seem to have even worse judgement than most developers when it comes to use of "cinematic" effects.
Gud textures, though.

Also, I'd be quite interested in Oblivion remake. The original was beyond all help, but Bethesda's approach to TES seems to have changed quite dramatically with Skyrim, so it might even be a success, or, at worst, an interesting failure to behold.

Now that's an ignorant shitpost if I've ever seen one.
If you use Requiem, then very few obviously "tanky" enemies have their HP inflated. OTOH most damage is scaled up so much that it nullifies sponginess, armor plays much more role, spamming is an easy way to die, many enemies require unique tactics and weapons vary wildly in their effectiveness against different targets and may require different tactics to be used effectively. Weapon damage is of secondary importance most of the time because even weak weapons are fucking deadly. Thinking is not only involved but required as prioritization of targets and managing limited magicka/stamina is a must. Deciding what spell or weapon to use, when to attack, power attack, bash or block is vital and you have additional options like bullrushing. Good choice of tactics may make up for 20 levels of difference, while bad tactics may simply be ineffective, but may also allow a lowly bear or sabercat 1hk your lvl40 demigod (for example if you get pounced off a mountain).

Why are spells specifically meant to be used as magical traps not legitimate traps? Besides, of that you can exploit triggered rock traps to hurl rocks at the enemies, lead enemies into traps or trigger them yourself, even at range using bow, throw enemies off high places, ignite oil spills to engulf them in flames, or lead them into other encounters that will prove deadly to them and all that is already in vanilla. What is it if not using the environment to kill enemies?

Questlines are meh (bad, but not painfully so), but a simple fix is installing a well integrated mod that adds its own quests - like 3DNPCs. Then bad content gets diluted by good content and good content finds its way into bad content greatly improving it (when mod quests tie into vanilla ones or a mod follower provides interesting banter relevant to the vanilla quest you're doing), and if you use mechanical mod that as a side effect improves the pacing (by making questline quests more demanding) then you have more content to branch into before you gain high enough level to return to the questline.
Reading this made me realise that while I've pirated 8/10 games I've played I would gladly pay fullprice (or even more) to get to play Skyrim with just-the-right mods, avoiding it screaming makeshift while taking advantage of the maturity of its modding scene without spending the time to research and set shit up.

Bloody Bethesda games trigger whatever sperging tendencies I have. I wait forever to play them, miss out on the time when they are actually relevant, and then delay getting them off my backlog due to the work needed to get them to an optimal level. Couple of years back I spent 3 full days researching and another 3 modding Fallout 3 out of its subpar vanilla state into something actually worthy of my limited RPG-gaming time.

Skyrim's setup time looks closer to 10 days and the SE looks like it (even when ScriptExtender etc are ported) shaves only a couple of hours worth of that.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Reading this made me realise that while I've pirated 8/10 games I've played I would gladly pay fullprice (or even more) to get to play Skyrim with just-the-right mods, avoiding it screaming makeshift while taking advantage of the maturity of its modding scene without spending the time to research and set shit up.

Bloody Bethesda games trigger whatever sperging tendencies I have. I wait forever to play them, miss out on the time when they are actually relevant, and then delay getting them off my backlog due to the work needed to get them to an optimal level. Couple of years back I spent 3 full days researching and another 3 modding Fallout 3 out of its subpar vanilla state into something actually worthy of my limited RPG-gaming time.

Skyrim's setup time looks closer to 10 days and the SE looks like it (even when ScriptExtender etc are ported) shaves only a couple of hours worth of that.

I honestly just dream of the day that Nexus Mod Manager, or Bethesda's first party client even, starts doing mod bundles like you can get for Minecraft. Community modpack bundles would take modding to another level, it'd just be click on NMM, leave your PC on overnight, then wake up to something that requires 1/5th of the setup time modding usually does.

Regardless, still going to skip this because Enderal taught me that Skyrim gameplay was just good for its time. Too many AAA open worlders have refined the formula too much since then to make it seem fun to sneak and shoot like the good ole days.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Pete Heines talks about possible Morrowind (or Oblivion) remake: http://www.pcgames.de/Quakecon-Even...auncher-Steam-Fallout-Shelter-Skyrim-1203800/

Google Translate said:
PC Games: The Skyrim Special Edition is a good word - why Sykrim and not Oblivion or Morrowind?

Pete Hines: There are a number of reasons. One of the most important is that Skyrim is by far the most popular of the three tracks. More importantly, though, that Skyrim was the basis for Fallout 4 on the current console generation. In fact, the first step in the Fallout 4 development, the attempt Skyrim on Xbox One and PS4 to get to work at all was. It was clear that we had to take the technically closest match as the basis for Fallout 4 and that was just Skyrim. This does not mean that we could not make Morrowind. But because of the title comes from the 2002, we would rather speak of a complete remake and not a revision. In many cases, especially in the graphics we would start here almost from zero. In Oblivion, the situation would be similar. Also, this title is ten years old and given the many advances we have made in the field of programming at this time, a return to this would be a real Herkulesaufabe.

Because it would take the least work and creative thinking for the highest return on investment.

:prosper:

I wish Bethesda would make a Morrowind remake just to see the face of people who work on Skywind.
TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually hired a couple of them.
It doesn't matter, tho. The problem isn't even entirely bethesda, a game like morrowind is like V:TMB, it's a product of talented people working with limited resources. That sort of conditions (that are normally negative) can end up making up for in increased creativity. The way TES games are developed now make it highly unlikely that it could happen again with that franchise.

Normally negative???

It's often the only thing that grounds brilliant people and keeps their head out of their ass.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Things always turn to shit once you give starving artists a blank cheque and full creative control to create their magnum opus. I'd think the Star Wars prequels and things like the later Matrix movies would have made that apparent for our modern times.

I'd like to see an example of something to the contrary. About the closest thing there is is maybe the movie 2001, but even that is contentious given how its reputation outshines its huge flaws.

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All you really need to play skyrim is SkyUI and unofficial bug fixes mod.

I wonder how many bugs they fixed in special edition though
Fuck no, dude. You really do need mods. I can't stomach vanilla Skyrim. It's horribly boring. I'd just get a playthrough in now. Months for the SKSE team to do their work, who knows how long for SkyUI, and then you have Requiem team which could take even longer.

YASH guy already preparing to convert YASH 2 to SE. He might be done the fastest if you like hardcore overhauls and can't wait for Requiem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom