Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Special Edition

DraQ

Arcane
All you really need to play skyrim is SkyUI and unofficial bug fixes mod.

I wonder how many bugs they fixed in special edition though
Fuck no, dude. You really do need mods. I can't stomach vanilla Skyrim. It's horribly boring. I'd just get a playthrough in now. Months for the SKSE team to do their work, who knows how long for SkyUI, and then you have Requiem team which could take even longer.
I think you *can* play Skyrim unmodded if you have no choice and still have fun. Nevertheless, while deliberately playing Morrowind unmodded is a choice, deliberately playing Skyrim this way is, simply put, a mistake.
YASH guy already preparing to convert YASH 2 to SE. He might be done the fastest if you like hardcore overhauls and can't wait for Requiem.
And like being unable to swing steel sword properly even if you're good with an iron one.
:M

Soulcucker

Savant
That cloud effect that creeps over the terrain is pretty nice. Wish they would have up the geometry on houses and buildings as they still have a prefab look to them.

Big No

Novice
Special Skyrim is for special folks.

This game looks so pointless, why remaster something only four years old? Not to mention it doesn't even look better than a modded version. I'd say the CoD 4 remaster looks better. When CoD is beating you out you know you've screwed up.

All you really need to play skyrim is SkyUI and unofficial bug fixes mod.

LBM55wY.gif

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So what did they actually change? I only noticed two differences in the entire video.
1. addition of cheesy light volumes, which you can see very clearly early on in the riften section.
2. Water has a much coarser look to it, but the reflections are still all wrong (eg, 9:13)

Also saddens me to know it's probably going to break all the fun mods like HDT-PE :(

jungl

Augur
only thing I really noticed is that they copy pasted fallout 4s lighting into skyrim. This seems entirely waste of money if you already have graphic mods for skyirm.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Most of that already existed in skyrim, it's just turned down (or completely off) because consoles couldn't handle it.
Any decent lighting mod like ELFX makes very good use of the feature.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The textures look to be a much higher resolution and have greater detail and colour. They wanted to avoid changing too much of the actual game so that mods could be ported over with relative ease, who cares though it's an improved baseline for free on pc. (as if you dont already have all the dlc)

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
I like how the game is still missing shadows indoors (15:30 -) more often than not. Figures.

Cadmus

Arcane
I can't tell what it is but everything about the game looks cheap to me. Yeah, they added some nice effects but the rocks, trees and buildings still look low detail, very boxy and muddy at the same time. Basically it reeks of consolitis.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
So they just looked at all the fan made texture/atmosphere/lightning/water mods and implemented that into a special edition?

It's more like they packaged an ENB and turned up the shadow resolution from 128x128 to something semi-respectable like 1024x1024 - Since the video is about the console version.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like how a plain vanilla Risen from 2009 looks better than a supah remasta Blehtesda game from 2016. God what a fuck-ugly engine that abomination was.

Having said that I did feel the urge to pick the game again, after 5 years. Some of the mods I've heard about over the years are really enticing, the sheer quantity of them is fucking intimidating tho (I've briefly checked Nexus and I'd probably spend more time going through the mods than I did on my first playthrough of the game).

Turjan

Arcane
With the underbrush much lusher, let's see whether we get the "moving grass carpet" effect around the player from Oblivion back into the series :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom