Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMT: Nocturne

Latro

Arcane
Le reddet so fahnny

Ialda

Learned
I will tentivaly take the HD port of SMT as a sign of good will and Incline that they want to make a good SMTV instead of a Personacrapaified game.

you cannot tell me this isnt a girl

1595259428406.png

1595257816619.png

rIw1uTQ.png

5vcm9It.jpg

Nathir

Liturgist
The HD remaster is pretty much a sign that SMTV is going to play like Nocturne. Or so I hope. :dealwithit:

Why would you hope that? They've been abusing press turn since 2003. It's been 17 years, they really need something new for the combat system. You can always just play Nocturne for that, or the new remaster.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Why would you hope that? They've been abusing press turn since 2003. It's been 17 years, they really need something new for the combat system. You can always just play Nocturne for that, or the new remaster.

Press Turn is sooooooo good tho. Why remove such good system , especialy now that was refined by SMT4A.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
Or maybe, if you don't like press turn, you can play the thousands of inferior games without press turn? :dance:

PS: "dancing furiously" emoji when?

Viata

Arcane
The HD remaster is pretty much a sign that SMTV is going to play like Nocturne. Or so I hope. :dealwithit:

When I mean "play like", I don't mean only press turn, but all of the things they forgot about when they made the shit SMT4 and SMT4A. One hopes they don't use that shit art too.

Terra

Cipher
Both these need to come to PC! Excited by the Nocturne-esque direction SMTV looks to be taking.

Wouldn't mind them backporting some extra demons into Nocturne's roster either.

1595259428406.png

1595257816619.png

rIw1uTQ.png
Could be trans to appeal to the overwhelming majority of western players (and Codex).

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
If you were wondering, the main character is named "main character" during the battle footage.

I hope they fix the broken battle formulas. A lot of them are badly implemented and result in things like being less accurate as you level up and luck doing strictly less than agility in battle.

He wears male school uniform.

Look at the crowd scene. The pants are non-standard.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
So basically we're going to have to wait a year after the Switch release before it comes to PC? Come on, Atlus. Quit tying your dark, mature, atmospheric, challenging, mainline series to a kid's console and then wonder why it get's poor sales.

Good for people that never play the game, and the game actually looks crisp from that trailer. That Raidou in the end means that this is based on the Maniax version (not that ATLUS has any choice to use Dante to begin with I guess).

Unless they add some other content I have seen everything the game has to offer tho.

They did do a DMC5 tie-in event for some iOS SMT game last year. So while it seems unlikely that it'll have Dante given the ending of the trailer, it is possible that maybe this version could also have Dante given the two recently made a deal.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Raidou had a better skill set than Dante and I never played Nocturne with Raidou so I'm happy that we get this version. This version is also harder.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The only downside of not having Dante this time around is the lack of a "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry (TM) series" sticker on the box.

I believe original Jap release was tuned to be slightly harder (/more bullshit), like a higher chance of getting ambushed in random encounters and some boss fights with the bosses allowed to make longer chains of bullshit. But the main difficulty was that there was no Amala dungeon, which gives a lot of stat increases/xp/cash and is a good place to hit whenever you hit a wall along with pierce in the TDE which trivializes the final areas. Though there was also no fiend/Dante fights, which means no Matador.

I'm not aware of significant differences between the US/EU release and the Jap re-release other than Radiou having pierce when he joins your party so he's actually very, very good where Dante kind of sucked.

I know Lucifer has Diarahan instead of Diarama.

Are you sure about that? I'm think you're thinking of the meme where he charms your demon and the demon diarahans him. It's a gotcha in a number of SMT final fights, to me it happened in Persona 3.

The SMT guide on gamefaqs that is for Maniacs version says he has Diarama.

EDIT: the same gamefags summarizes the difficulty between original and US/maniacs as:

################################################################################
MANIACS: DIFFERENCES AND ADDITIONS
################################################################################

DIFFICULTY LEVEL:
=================
When you play a Maniacs game, you get a choice of difficulty levels from the
outset, rather than like the original Nocturne, where your first time through
was on a default difficulty and the second time through was a harder difficulty.
Difficulty levels make no difference in terms of what you can do or endings or
anything like that--they're just there as an additional option. Personally I
find Normal Mode MUCH too easy and have never played a full game on that
difficulty level. (Heck, even on Hard it's not as hard as a second-time-around
game in vanilla Nocturne) However, your mileage may vary. The differences in
gameplay are as follows:

CHANGES THROUGHOUT BOTH MODES:
------------------------------
* Enemies ambush you (i.e. strike first) with less frequency
* Enemies don't always critically hit you when Back attacking you
* Insta-death magic doesn't work as frequently
* Accuracy for many Physical attacking skills increased (Iron Claw can hit now)
* Bad Status ailments don't take as often. (Note that all the percentage
counting I did in the Skills section was for Vanilla Nocturne on that point)

NORMAL MODE:
------------
* Enemies do less damage than in a default Nocturne game--about 2/3 or 3/4, I'd
guess.
* Prices for items are the same as a default Nocturne game.
* Getting attacked from behind won't get you critically hit. (REALLY stupid
change IMO. There's essentially no difference between being back attacked and
the enemies getting first shot this way)
* Running away is easier than in a default Nocturne game.

HARD MODE:
----------
* Enemies do about double the damage that they do on Normal mode--about the
same amount of damage they do on a second-time-through game in Nocturne.
* Buying prices for items in stores are tripled. Sell prices are not likewise
scaled upwards. (IOW, you get paid the same for selling items in Normal and
in Hard) This only applies in Junk Shops--Rag's trade-ins are the same, and
summoning demons in the Jakyo Manor is no more expensive than if it was
on Normal.
* Damage Zones (burning floor, cursed corridor, or when you're Poisoned) all
do triple damage.
* You cannot run from battle. There are two exceptions: 1) if all
enemies facing you are incapacitated (ie Asleep, Bound, Frozen, etc) you can
run from them 2) Escape spells and items like Torafulee and Blinding Spheres
will work as normal.
NOTE:
It may not be TOTALLY impossible to run normally from battle--in Ikebukuro, I
once ran from a lone Manekata without it being incapacitated, but that was the
only time I ever suceeded on a "straight" run. It may just be that the chances
to run are much, much lower. Still, in that case, the failure rate would be so
ridiculously high as to make it the same as being impossible in practice.
* Insta-kill magic works more often than on a normal game (though still not as
much as in "vanilla" Nocturne)

Last edited:
Ihough there was also no fiend/Dante fights, which means no Matador.

Matador is meh.

No Daisoujou means no Meditation / Makatora combo which gives party almost infinite SP source.

No Trumpeter means Evil Melody that allows to kill every random encounter in max two turns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom