Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SNEG release additional SSI Dungeons & Dragons titles on Steam and GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cybertech Systems; DeathKeep; Dragons of Flame; DragonStrike; Fantasy Empires; Heroes of the Lance; Lion Entertainment; Shadow Sorcerer; Silicon Knights; SNEG; Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace; Strategic Simulations, Inc.; U.S. Gold; War of the Lance; Westwood Studios

Most of the classic Dungeons & Dragons RPGs developed and published by SSI in the 1980s and 1990s have been available for sale on GOG since 2015, and last year they were released on Steam as well thanks to retro publisher SNEG. However, SSI published numerous other D&D-branded titles back in the day, none of which have been available for sale since their original releases. Although most of these titles were not RPGs and they certainly lack the prestige of the Gold Box series, SNEG are to be commended for completing the SSI D&D catalog by releasing them today on Steam and GOG. For Codexers, the most notable of these titles is probably Cybertech's Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, a space exploration and combat game set in the Spelljammer setting that also featured party-based tactical combat. Also of interest is the so-called Silver Box, consisting of four loosely related Dragonlance-based titles. Here's the official press release from SNEG:

London, United Kingdom (March 27, 2023) — Today, SNEG — boutique publisher of long-lost titles — is launching eight long-dormant Dungeons & Dragons games for Windows PC via GOG and Steam. The list features many of the first D&D video games, some available for the first time in over 25 years, and includes Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, Fantasy Empires, DragonStrike, DeathKeep, and Heroes of the Lance, Dragons of Flame, War of the Lance, and Shadow Sorcerer available in the Silver Box Classics bundle. Each game contains digital bonus materials from their original releases, such as manuals, rulebooks, and cluebooks.​
D&D has a long history of great video game adaptations, and it’s a dream come true to be able to bring many of them back to modern players,” said Oleg Klapovskiy, Director at SNEG. “With the Silver Box titles, plus the previously released Gold Box titles, I think we’ve provided a lot of games to make D&D fans, old and new, very happy!”​
The release of these eight classic D&D titles coincides with the D&D Franchise Event happening now on Steam. Players can enjoy discounts on many D&D titles, including Gold Box Classics previously released by SNEG, by visiting the Steam sale page here: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/dnddirect2023.​
Embark on epic fantasy adventures in these classic Dungeons & Dragons titles:
DragonStrike (1990) - GOG | Steam
Fly the mighty dragons of Krynn into battle in the first ever dragon combat simulator! Play through 20 missions set in the world of Dragonlance; intercept enemy dragons, destroy enemy ships, and protect the forces of good in order to advance in rank, gain magical items and hit points, and acquire better dragons!​
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace (1992) - GOG | Steam
Pirates of Realmspace leads the player into a fantasy world to pilot a ship (a Spelljammer) that may travel into Realmspace and visit eight worlds of inner and outer planets for exploration and trade. Experience spectacular first-person flight combat and classic tactical encounters as you uncover the terrible conspiracy that threatens to conquer Realmspace itself!​
Fantasy Empires (1993) - GOG | Steam
In Fantasy Empires you play as the ruler of a fledgling kingdom. Your objective: take over adjacent kingdoms one by one using magic, brute force, or strategic planning. It features real-time combat in an overhead view, as well as a computer-controlled Dungeon Master, who provides insight as well as comic relief. Form alliances, recruit armies, train heroes, send them on quests, cast spells, and manage resources.​
DeathKeep (1995) - GOG | Steam
DeathKeep is a first-person single-player role-playing game with a touch of medieval AD&D gameplay in a fully 3D environment straight out of the ‘90s. Players must find and defeat an evil Necromancer located somewhere in the lower levels. Make your way through 25 dungeons filled with brain-busting puzzles and 30 types of horrific monsters who’ve never heard of dental care.​
Included in the Silver Box Classics Bundle:
Heroes of the Lance (1988) - GOG | Steam
Based on the latter parts of the Dragonlance book, Dragons of Autumn Twilight, the heroes descend into a ruined city in search of the disks of Mishakal. The gameplay consists of side-scrolling fighting with a maze-like map using doors to change the view. The party consists of the eight Heroes of the Lance, which the player can switch between at any time.​
Dragons of Flame (1989) - GOG | Steam
Set between the AD&D Dragonlance action games Heroes of the Lance and Shadow Sorcerer, Dragons of Flame follows the Heroes of the Lance formula with a side-scrolling, action-oriented view. Choose from 10 playable characters and use weapons, spells, and character specific abilities to battle Trolls, Griffins, Draconians and Zombies.​
War of the Lance (1989) - GOG | Steam
Command armies, heroes, and special units against the evil Highlord Dragon Armies. Have your heroes search for magic to help in battle, use diplomats to gather nations to your side, and send armies out to the field to do battle or hunt down enemy heroes.​
Shadow Sorcerer (1991) - GOG | Steam
Shadow Sorcerer is a tie-in with the Dragonlance series of novels. The player controls a party of four adventurers that have just rescued 800 slaves and must shepherd them through the wilderness before the evil Red Dragon army catches up with them. With real-time strategic, tactical, and political gameplay, danger is around every corner. Can you find a safe haven for your followers?​
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, Fantasy Empires, DragonStrike, DeathKeep, and the Silver Box Classics bundle are available now for Windows PC via GOG and Steam. Get them for 15% off during the launch week.​
Spelljammer, Fantasy Empires and the Silver Box are available on Steam and GOG for $10 while DragonStrike and DeathKeep are priced at $6, all with a 15% launch discount until next week.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace (1992)

This is a title I wouldn't mind checking out. I was waiting for them to release an Amiga version of it at the time, which there were rumors that it was coming and never did. Even though the graphics are hideous by today's standard, it was nice back in the early 1990s when SSI did the D&D titles and actually used more than one setting for their games. Sure, still D&D, but at least you weren't limited to one campaign world. So, you could hop in to a new game, know the mechanics of it, and still get at least something more than the same-ole'-same-ole'.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Might check Deathkeep, was curious about Slayer on 3DO but never got the chance to try it...

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
SSI never managed to used the AD&D licence properly, even though they had some good efforts and memorable outings, most looks like forgettable shovelware.

Side-scrolling platformer AD&D games? What were they thinking. I think they were thinking: how can we publish as many games as possible in as short a time as possible.

Just wasted potential.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
SSI cranked out the games, that's for damned sure. However, I don't remember ever getting an SSI title that I was unsatisfied with. In terms of "shovelware", at least in a more modern definition of the term, we had companies back then like Titus. Now that was a shovelware company. I remember buying an Arkanoid clone they made back in the day for the Amiga, and the ball would go right through the platform at the start of the third stage every single time. This was late 1980s, so it was before they constant patch cycle we have now. You bought the game and for the most part, that was it. If it didn't work, it just didn't work. I don't think I ever had that problem with SSI games, and I don't remember ever getting one that I didn't like for what it was.

That said, I never got any side scrolling D&D platform game.

Mortmal

Arcane

This is a title I wouldn't mind checking out. I was waiting for them to release an Amiga version of it at the time, which there were rumors that it was coming and never did. Even though the graphics are hideous by today's standard, it was nice back in the early 1990s when SSI did the D&D titles and actually used more than one setting for their games. Sure, still D&D, but at least you weren't limited to one campaign world. So, you could hop in to a new game, know the mechanics of it, and still get at least something more than the same-ole'-same-ole'.
Just have a look at steam reviews, its bugged and barely playable.All of the other titles you can get a better amiga version on winUAE , for free.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I thought the spelljammer games were unplayable?

Zionist Agent
I'm curious how Deathkeep runs. I couldn't run it on PC but the emulated 3do version seemed prone to crashes in certain areas.

ind33d

Educated

Interesting how D&D used to become fantasy GURPS just by changing campaign settings. D20 system may have made the rules easier, but now everything feels the same

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom