Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing Heroes of Newerth?

Out of the current pool, probably Magmus (stun, farm ability, some escape mech, aoe ult), Pestilence (stun, passive, flight, spam -armor ult), Blacksmith (-magic armor, slow, stun, pretty simple to use), and Pollywog (2 disables and a pushing ult and an ok nuke).

Heroes with more passives are great when you're starting out because it's a few less things to keep track of. Stuns / Crowd Control are key and useful in any lineup. And generally ranged heroes are easier than melee.

Padre

Liturgist
Andro for having simple skills but be prepared to die a lot.
Blacksmith - nuker, shitty laning but later on with ult can instagib someone.
Nymphora - pure support, aoe heal, gives mana to self/ally, stun difficult to land, global teleport for you and teammates.

Those are the three I would try out first because they are simple enough. My ingame nick is Ruchaczoza - currently playing on my smurf. Add me to friends, we can do a 1vs1 sometime so I can give you some more tips.

Also check out strategy forum and training grounds for some newbie tips.

Imo stay away fro carries such as Sil or CD for now, they require farm and great positioning to be effective.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'd say the easiest heroes are the ones S2 created because they are broken (especially at the level you'll be playing at if you just start out). Like Predator. Pretty much an auto-win at <1600.

I don't know which are free at the moment though.

I played with a friend and lost around 150 PSR so I'm just considering shelving the game for Dota 2 but who knows when that's out. Not until next year they say. The game is highly unenjoyable when you lose solely because of weak team mates.

Padre

Liturgist
Zed said:
I'd say the easiest heroes are the ones S2 created because they are broken (especially at the level you'll be playing at if you just start out). Like Predator. Pretty much an auto-win at <1600.

I don't know which are free at the moment though.

I played with a friend and lost around 150 PSR so I'm just considering shelving the game for Dota 2 but who knows when that's out. Not until next year they say. The game is highly unenjoyable when you lose solely because of weak team mates.

Zed, below 1600 I can take Empath and wreck a game. Hell, I can make a carry glacius. Doesn't mean he is broken.

Kotf just got nerfed. Besides, why do people cry when suddenly a hero becomes viable. They don't know how to counter him, as with most invi heroes, and since he became a potent jungler - why bother ganking using dust or placing rev wards to fuck up his day ?

Predator autowin? Counterpick Panda, rampage, laugh at his face.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Invite me, IGN Hoaxmetal. I was clan leader of ITZ at HoN beta, you know :D

Anyway, just had sweet 4v4 which started as. 4v5 (SH feeded on repulsor and he ragequit). After that they did some successful ganks and I was at all time low 0-5-0 (as wildsoul). As usually the NH was played by some ocd teen who kept on bragging over the chat so it felt so good when me and rampage turned it around and annihilated them in the end. Little brat kept silence after that :P

Having a streak of good games but I bet another MMR downfall will start soon :roll:

Castanova

Prophet
Padre said:
Nothing like winning a 4vs5 match huh? :thumbsup:

Referring to our last match? Yeah, that was :salute: First time I've ever gotten more kills than deaths in a game. Did wonders for my abysmal K : D ratio.

So far Pestilence seems like my best character. I like how he's got that speed skill, an AoE stun, a passive bonus, and an Ultimate that you can actually use a lot. It's like he's the perfect n00b character. I feel like his ultimate is weaker against good players though... they wouldn't try anything sneaky while I can see them.

Padre

Liturgist
Two things about Pestilence though

- never skill his passive (gore - the stun) before the flight (speed boost). Your usual build should be 2-1-2-1-2-4-2. Stun is unreliable while speed lets you keep up with someone.

- his ultimate is a beast. it's not that you can see them. This ultimate lowers physical armour by 5/10/15. You saw what happened with that Vindi when I critted him with your ult on him.

Btw Hoaxmetal, long time no see. Now my main is the leader of ITZ. And nice stats bro :smug:

Will have to borrow your account to drag it into 1500s again :love:

Padre

Liturgist
Smyger's video are full of those lulz. Check out his digest mr 4 and that sick Glad annihilation or his Magebane with striders and codex.

Castanova

Prophet
Argh, they changed up the free hero list. I played a round with Forsaken Archer. Seemed pretty strong through the mid-game (I was able to gank people with my ultimate pretty easily) but then the power seemed to drop and the ultimate was no longer doing any damage. At the end I felt pretty underpowered.

Still need like 200 silver coins to buy my bro Pestilence. /sigh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom