Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing Heroes of Newerth?

Padre

Liturgist
None taken really. It's true potatoes rarely use english during games, dunno why. About a year ago we were playing as 5 ppl but it would mostly suck cause of the huge gap in skill. You can't really expect a 1400 guy to perform good in a 1700 game and we were matched against other 5 who had superior teamplay and their lowbies just warded better and died less. For the past few months I have just duo queued with Chlubion. We would usually do a duo lane, cover both solo lanes with a jungler or he would just roam from lvl 1 with a proper hero like Andro. Roamer really can fuck up your whole early game if he's any good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Reading through the patch notes I was more or less happy with everything. Then I got to the bit about Monkey King. Although one of the heroes they released is apparently balanced just fine, the other is an 'early access' hero, that you only get to play right now if you shell out actual money for him. He'll be normally released a month later. You know, when he stops being stupidly overpowered. WTF is this shit.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
Well maybe playing this game will improve my overall skill in Lol since I hear Hon is much harder. What are good champions for people who just start out? I been playing Emerald Warden and he seems pretty easy to use, I am just trying to figure out all game mechanics right now.

Also for people who played both Lol and Hon what good heroes woul be for me if in Lol my favorite champions are XinZhao,Irelia,Renekton,Rammus,Shen,Malphite and at some point was Yi.

Yeah I saw a lot of people raging about early acess thing but I dont really see it as a big deal. There is a huge pool of heroes to choose from and once this thing gets going you will get to play a new champion every week or 2 anyway

Damned Registrations

The thing is we already had that. The issue is that the entire reason I (and plenty of toher people I'm sure) play HoN is so we can play something with a clear scoreboard where nobody has any unfair advantages. Releasing a broken hero every 2 weeks that only the people willing to shell out extra for can play ruins this aspect. Running around smacking people is fun, but lots of games let me do that. I paid for a game I could compete in fairly without a monthly fee. They specifically promised they'd never have any sort of gameplay advantage up for sale. And this new hero (And many they've released in the past) is all kinds of broken. Massive burst damage, scaling, low cooldowns, escape skills, easy farming. I'm sure they'll balance him after everyone else gets to play. But I'm not a sponsored tourney player, so if I want a ranked match against decent opponents I have to use matchmaking, and the only counter for this hero there is shelling out some money.

Damned Registrations

As for advice for LoL converts:

Don't try to carry. You need to be familiar with all the enemy heroes, and there are a lot. You're going to get stomped if you don't know what the pink swirlies floating around your character mean, or which heroes have global ults that can fuck you from across the map. On top of that, because you lose gold on death, pretty much every herp om HoN plays like they have a snowball item. Makes carrying a lot more difficult, just a few early deaths can ruin you.

I don't know what heroes are free to play right now, but some good staples would be the disable whores: Witch Slayer, Pollywog Priest. Both can disable a single hero for well in excess of 5 seconds. Helps you get away from heroes you're not sure you can beat due to unfamiliarity, and disables are always useful. Other good heroes that can't disable quite that much are Torturer and Pyromancer, that have skillshot area stuns and are primarily burst damage heroes, and Voodoo Jester, who has some very odd abilities. Skill up his first and third abilities, maxing the third first. It's pretty obvious what you're supposed to do with them.

Initiators are extremely useful too. Magmus, Behemoth, Tempest (Any hero with an area stun can fall into this category really, but these three are iconic and extremely good heroes from DotA). Try to pick up a portal key within your first 3000 gold earned and use it with their ultimates to win team fights. Behemoth is a bitch to play well though, takes a while to get familiar with his skills and he sucks at farming his portal key. Keeper of the Forest falls into this category as well, though he can use invis instead of a portal key, and he's an amazing pusher/tower destroyer now, as well as being one of the best junglers in the game.

Learn to deny and last hit. The game is often won or lost on how people do early game, and denying doesn't just mean the enemy misses out on half a creep worth of xp, it means they need to stay close to your tower, and closer to the forest your allies can come through to gank. Nobody can gank a lane that's pushed right up to the enemy tower. Creep pulling is useful here too. Lots of people do it the wrong way; the goal isn't to kill some jungle creeps, it's to get the jungle creeps to murder your lane creeps so the enemy misses an entire wave of xp. Stack the camp by aggroing the jungle camp near your lane at 52 seconds and running away. You can double or triple stack camps. A stacked camp can easily wipe out a creep wave. When the enemy creeps get to your tower, walk near them so they chase you and run back to the next wave of your creeps coming from your base- the enemy can't follow without moving through your woods or past your tower, both of which are very dangerous. Just don't let the enemy heroes run into your pulled jungle camp. If they last hit the jungle creeps AND the lane creeps, your plan backfires bigtime. You should have the advantage in that area though, since their creeps won't be there to support them, and yours will.

Pay attention to the runes. They spawn every 2 minutes in the river at either the top or bottom rune spot. Your team should have a ward by one of these spots to reveal it. Mid should get them but if your mid player isn't grab it yourself if it's near. Runes are very powerful advantages all game long.

Patch Notes said:
- Replay Controls
* Based off the Small Replay mod by Duker
* Can now free look with the \ key
* All buttons are now bindable
* Now features a hold to fast forward key (Default F)
* Jump to PoV (R) temporarily changes your perspective to that of the unit you have selected until you release the key

Just for you KC. :)

mugarod

Liturgist
hmm how do I see if I am a Legacy account or not? I paid money yesterday before it even went f2p but looking at statistics it says I am verified.

Padre

Liturgist
I don't really mind this early access, haven't even played some of the new heroes like Martyr yet.

As for tips apart from what Reg wrote.

Plague rider is extremely powerful and quite easy to play. His ult - think about Ryze's bouncy thing that deals a shitload of damage but remember it bounces randomly to the closest target so try to hit enemies when there are no creeps around. His third ability lets him gain mana from his own creeps and counts as deny so it's very very useful during laning. His second skill is a mid-late game buff that counters physical damage carries very well.

Torturer imo is not a good newby hero because he's very squishy, has very high mana cost on spells and needs a pretty good positioning.

Witch slayer - top pick from lowbies to high tier.

Arachna, being a carry, is pretty straightforward hero with a pretty good base damage and attack animation so you can use her to learn how to deny and last hit in practice.

Another pretty easy hero is Andromeda. Pure support, has a +%aura to allies, can save them with her ult or fuck up an important enemy hero with her swap. Just prepare to die a lot when playing her :)

Kraken - melee disabler, semicarry - his splash will help you last hit, he is quite tanky, especially after getting helm of the black legion which seems to be core on him nowadays. His ult can really fuck up someone in a tight spot, especially since it goes through shrunken head ( SH is a powerrful goto carry item that makes you immune to magic abilities and magic damage for a set amount of time )
Imo stay away from melee carries for now, they require shitton of farm which you won't get.

If you really want to try melee, get hammerstorm. His aoe stun is one of the best in the game, just remember to buy iron buckler so you don't get harassed to hell in lane.

Another thing is lane composition. Dual melee sidelane is a big no no unless you are playing against 5 year olds. Noticed that n Lol you can somehow survive such a lane. Here, with the denies and the higher damage from autos and abilities, you will be going back and forth to the fountain.

As for runes: those are double damage - blue, illusion - purple, haste - red and regen - green.

DD is I think easy to understand. Your autoattack do double damage
Illusion - spawns 2 illusions who take 300% more damage and deal 33% of your damage.
Haste - lets you move at top speed 522 for an amount of time
Regen - regens you to full hp/mp but if you get hit it cancels. You can also use abilities while regening and they won't cost anything that way.

Dunno if I will play tonight, sprained my ankle really bad during a match so I'm kinda not in the mood right now.

Damned Registrations

Oh, one other rather important thing: Spells do not cause towers or creeps to aggro you in HoN. So your tower/creeps won't protect you as much as you're used to. Some heroes (Arachna, Vindicator) also have abilities that use their normal attack as a spell- these won't cause aggro either, so Arachna can auto attack you all day for like 10 mana per attack without pulling aggro from creeps or a tower.

Padre

Liturgist
mugarod said:
hmm how do I see if I am a Legacy account or not? I paid money yesterday before it even went f2p but looking at statistics it says I am verified.

Top of your screen, there is your name and a button to check your stats. Next to it should be an 'infinite' icon meaning you have unlimited tokens which means your account is a legacy one. At least that's how I understand that.

mugarod

Liturgist
Thanks for all the tips. yeah I do see infinite icon I am just confused why when I go in stats menu it says verified rather then legacy.

Also is Emerald Warden hated by everyone? It seems everybody is bitching at me for having lots of kills, lots of ks claims even though I dont understand how I can ks in teamfights when it either them or us.

Damned Registrations

Lowbies always bitch about KSing. The only thing I'm going to say on the subject: don't TRY to do it. If you have a giant burst damage ult like pyro/witch slayer/thunderbringer, use it as soon as a big fight starts. If they run off and survive you made the fight a 4v5, if they die to someone else, more gold wasn't going to help you much anyways. But bitching at someone for ksing who is just using all their abilities in a fight is retarded, unless the enemy was clearly dead already (don't spend all your mana nuking a guy thats already stunned 5 second in between 3 allies.)

Ashery

Prophet
Another pretty easy hero is Andromeda. Pure support, has a +%aura to allies, can save them with her ult or fuck up an important enemy hero with her swap. Just prepare to die a lot when playing her

Oh god no. Her first three abilities are straight forward and easy to use, but if you don't know the ins and outs of swapping, you may well fuck your team over during team fights. She's not that difficult, but for someone new to the game that hasn't built up the understanding of the game that more experienced players have, they are pretty much guaranteed to fuck up on a regular basis and lose a major fight/piss off their team.

Padre

Liturgist
Well as you said, her other 3 abilities are pretty use to use and that was my main point. She also doesn't need many items to work properly. And those guys will learn that sacrificing your life for the life of the carry is a very important job and can turn many fights around. It's a much better pick when you are learning than say Behe or tempest. I find particularly behe to be extremely hard to play well. You can fuck your entire team up with a fissure as opposed to 1 guy with a swap.

Padre

Liturgist
Jesus fuck, the shitstorm on the forums about F2P and EA is quite insane. Those dumbfucks really have nothing better to do than cry and threaten that they will quit hon. Like anybody will give a fuck. Would really like mods to step up and just outright ban those fucker who treat GD as a personal blog.

Ashery

Prophet
Padre said:
Well as you said, her other 3 abilities are pretty use to use and that was my main point. She also doesn't need many items to work properly. And those guys will learn that sacrificing your life for the life of the carry is a very important job and can turn many fights around. It's a much better pick when you are learning than say Behe or tempest. I find particularly behe to be extremely hard to play well. You can fuck your entire team up with a fissure as opposed to 1 guy with a swap.

Swap the wrong guy and you can fuck up your entire team as well. You are right in that she doesn't need many items to be effective, though, but the skill required for swapping is not one that a new player will develop quickly.

Tempest actually isn't that difficult to play, especially in lower MMR games. You mainly just need teammates that are competent enough to back you up when you initiate.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Padre said:
So, any of you lolers got any impressions to share with us?

Complexity does not equal depth. Sometimes, having more little bars to keep track of does not make for a more engrossing game. It just makes for tedious micromanagement.

So far, I am largely unimpressed.

Also, the community is probably the worst one I ever encountered. Back to World of Tanks until they implement the LoL server swap.

Padre

Liturgist
Complexity does not equal depth. Sometimes, having more little bars to keep track of does not make for a more engrossing game. It just makes for tedious micromanagement.

Wait, what? :retarded:

Also, the community is probably the worst one I ever encountered. Back to World of Tanks until they implement the LoL server swap.

It's no worse than any competetive game community. Try talking to the CS pros and tell us how well it went :smug:

In other news, made a free account just to fuck with people. After 5 games had KDR of 30 or something, went back to my old account. Was really surprised how hostile the new players were. And I mean new players, or total morons, because a smurf would not go striders first item on MQ. Everytime I tried to suggest something I heard bad things about my mother :M

Padre

Liturgist
Found this on the forum.

Lolers impressions from their forums.

So far their client is absolute ****, and it really makes you appreciate how simple and well thought out the LoL client is. When I say the client is ****, i mean the UI layout. It is so hard to make heads or tales of it, because there are so many things floating around.

So far, I like that the pace is a bit faster than LoL, but it is becoming clear to me just how balanced LoL is.

I dislike how all of their heroes are taken from DOTA, they even use the same names on some of them.
The graphics are very poor... they are 'shiny' but its hard to see what is going on.

heroes of olderth sucks. they have 3 classes of heros, where there's like 6 in lol and some champs are hybrid of two of those. all they have is strength heros (tanks), agility heros (ad bruisers), and intelligence (mages). the game is ****, it's not more challenging, it's more complicated for no reason.

\
I just tried *** also. It's completely ****. Graphics are like "wtf, wheres my hero??" and potions...I couldn't even use them! "Click to active this item", it says. But it doesn't go on and heal me. All what you can do is target, but if you target yourself it says "Not valid target". Now I've deleted that piece of ****.

mugarod

Liturgist
My impressions.

First 5 or so games I hated it since everything seemed confusing. I couldn't tell which heroes are on my team and who is on the other, shop is a pain to navigate through, everyone calling me a noob in a game titled noobs only and promiss to kill me in real life, mana and health regen sucks etc.

Then it sorta grew on me and everything became much clearer on what is what, read few guides got the mechanics the only thing I don't know is how to apply certain mechanics and most heroes. I been mostly playing Emerald Warden and my kd went from 0.2 to 1.5 in 4-5 games and with assists its double that number.

The more I play it and get the hang of it the more I like it. I honestly think now that it is a better game then LoL its just sort of hard to get into. Community just sucks but I am gonna try to get friends from Lol to play with me so atleast I wont have to rage at my team.

This might be a novelty factor and might wear off but I am glad that I was able to get a legacy account right before it went ftp and I wont have to grind for heroes. I still gonna play Lol from time to time but I am looking to learning mroe about Hon and hopefully this transiction to ftp will give more life to the game and servers wont be shut down in a near future.

Also it might be because after 1k games I am just tired of Lol and just want to try out something else. The prices in Lol are way overpriced. I read several threads on forum where people said they spent 1300$ and they still dont have all the skins etc. I am generally fine with all balance changes that Riot makes and dont really care that heroes are overpriced since it gives me a goal there (to grind all champs) I just feel like I know what every champion can do now and all new champions seem to reuse all the abilities rather then making anything really interesting. Hon definatelly has Lol beat in a diversity.

Padre

Liturgist
Here are some quick numbers to show the explosive growth of players since this change. HoN now has:

• 4,000,000+ registered accounts
• Concurrent users increase 35%+
• Daily unique logins nearly double to 300,000+
• Games played daily has grown over 50%

Well that F2p thing is looking to be good for this game. I really hope Hon stays afloat. Wonder what kind of price dota2 will have. And it's only a few days before the tournament and nobody leaked any screenshots. Kinda incredible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom