Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing Heroes of Newerth?

Padre

Liturgist
He seems pretty balanced but I think his mound is a little too strong. Takes forever early game to take it down. But I really love his mobility and the pushing ability. I always liked pushers so he is :thumbsup: in my book.

Padre said:
Occ deserves a mention too. Good all around stats :salute:

:salute: Sucks though, you guys are all EU, and I'm West Coast stateside.

I played 7 games straight today, lost the first 6. 2 or 3 we should have won, but due to leavers were lost anyway. Or I won mid as Valkyrie but the other lanes lost pretty hard and I couldn't bring them back. The rest were as much my fault as anyone else's I suppose. The 6th one was close, almost won a 4v5 as scout. We ended up ahead in kills but couldn't advance and get their towers down. They also got kong twice, which shouldn't have happened.

The 7th game was great though. I communicated my misery to my teammates at the pick screen, and they assured me my streak was about end. Now, in the last patch, the developers removed the 0:00 rune for balance reasons. Basically, if one person in mid got DD or illusion, they pretty much autowon the lane. Anyway, since they took it out, there is a big chunk of time in the beginning of the game where nothing happens. Now back to the pick screen. Their was a group of 3 dudes playing together, they had a plan to lvl 1 kong using Pharoah, Demented Shaman, and Gauntlet. I went slither and the last guy went torturer and ran for Kong instantly. Finished him and the creeps hadn't started fighting yet, though they were deployed. We backed off and let gauntlet, who was mid, have the last hit, so he instantly hit lvl 5. We won handily. Apparently this group of guys I was with had this done to them and now this is all they do, and they're now 4-0 with that strat. Pretty funny, and I was glad for the win.

And to whoever was saying in this thread Rampage needed higher than 522 ms in his charge: lolno. He's now magic immune during his charge (once he hits 4 or 5 charges of stampede, iirc), that's much better than more ms. Anyway, if he was faster than 522, that would make him way overpowered. He already sucks to go against as a squishy. Charge -> grants vision -> stun -> horned strike auto attacks -> autoattack -> death. And if they're not dead, just ult them and drag back to teammates. He's really fun to play, and a well-played rampage sucks ass to play against, especially as someone like polly, glacius, or witch slayer.

Padre

Liturgist
raw said:
Padre said:
Btw, today HoN reached 50k players online.

Had 62k in beta once.

Yeah, in open beta to be precise. And now it's back to 50. For me it's quite an achievement.

The 7th game was great though. I communicated my misery to my teammates at the pick screen, and they assured me my streak was about end

This is the reason I play this game. You can have a streak of shitty games where rage ensues and there no wards but after that you get that amazing 60 minute very close game where everyone are committed to winning and god damn it feels good.

Since the removal of the 0:00 rune creep blocking is very important because having creeps on your side of the ramp is very important. I never liked those rune spawn wars at the start because Legion is in a much better position to fight for it being uphill.

Archibald

Arcane
Zed said:
Have they added Morphling yet?

Once DotA 2 was announced ports stoped, IIRC Flint was last port.

Had 62k in beta once.

Yes, then it was free and lots of people were using plants in public games.

Since the removal of the 0:00 rune creep blocking is very important because having creeps on your side of the ramp is very important. I never liked those rune spawn wars at the start because Legion is in a much better position to fight for it being uphill.

I hated those fights, you come near and wait till someone does something retarded which usually results in either bloodlust or loss of regen items, its not even that Legion has advantage, usually if nobody goes retardo then nothing happens at all. Stupid thing.

Padre

Liturgist
My last game the other team wanted to do kongor at lvl 1 but our stupid succubus was so slow that she ate that 5 sec arrow that was supposed to hit Kongor. Bloodlusted 2 seconds later. She came back mid only to get killed by a 3 man gank. Was another 15 minute concede due to our bottom lane ( hammer and succubus whom I told to gtfo from mid ) losing to SOLO legionnaire. Now I have seen everything. :M

I hated those fights, you come near and wait till someone does something retarded which usually results in either bloodlust or loss of regen items, its not even that Legion has advantage, usually if nobody goes retardo then nothing happens at all. Stupid thing.

That fight was only fun with the right setup, for example Devourer hooking someone or with good slows because at low levels stuns don't last long enough. Slither's poison spray is just awesome for such fights.

Bump for the bump god!

*ahem*

Anyway, Tree is crazy stronk now. Played a game vs him and Balphagore, we lost all our outer towers in about 10 minutes, was pretty lulzy. Bloodhunter also got a nice set of buffs, I think he's perfect now. Blood sense on allies and self + increase in ms was very nice. I'm personally underwhelmed with new heroes like Martyr and Empath, but the new hero Emerald Warden could be interesting. My main problem with support heroes in general is there's very little you can do if things start to go poorly. With a ganker like pyro or rampage, you can try and pick off some people, help other lanes claw back some momentum, but with someone like empath you can't even farm a creep wave. Very frustrating, and it's the main reason I rarely bother with true support unless I end up in a ~1900 game (and it's still frustrating).

Part of me wants to buy a sub account and see how long it takes me to get back up to 1800, but I don't wanna pay for it. :<

And btw, if anyone wants to look at some sweet graphs and stuff of stats, http://hon.rychlis.cz/ is pretty good. It's better than Maide's (which has been postponed indefinitely), since it has links to HoNDamage, with nice pie charts. Delicious. Unfortunately, since the recent fuxx0ring of S2, the XML requestor is down and all the stats are, for the moment, historical as of May, I believe.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
A few changes I'd make to HoN:
Remove Flint's ulti being able to shoot up ramps/into fog, where he has no vision.
Decrease HP(str?) gain on Blacksmith.
Rework Behemoth like they did with Treant. Remove and add skills.
Change Flux' dmg so instead of pure Str scaling the pull/push ability deals a flat value + str scaling, so it's better dmg-wise early levels but still scaling.
Have Blademaster be non-interruptible during whirlwind, but NOT immune to magic dmg. I.e. still be able to throw target spells at him, but they only deal damage.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I could see replacing that stupid enchant ability on behemoth. As it stands it might as well just be a taunt that triggers the passive. If it gave a short armor buff or something it would be nice, at least serve a purpose.

mugarod

Liturgist
Project: Eternity
After playing League of Legends for a year decided to try this out. Shop doesnt make any sense, my team got 3 ragequiters in first 10 minutes, and I coudlnt tell which minions belonged to me for a while. Was able to get few kills off but I still couldnt understand what was going on. First impressions are meh. LoL was definetelly much easier to understand from game 1.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Occasionally Fatal said:
Decrease BS strength gain? Behemoth rework? Why? :lol:
Behemoth could have far more interesting abilities other than fissure and the ulti which are his signature moves of course.

I played infester for the first time today, 13/2/20. He's really strong when left alone in the wood, ololol.

mugarod said:
After playing League of Legends for a year decided to try this out. Shop doesnt make any sense, my team got 3 ragequiters in first 10 minutes, and I coudlnt tell which minions belonged to me for a while. Was able to get few kills off but I still couldnt understand what was going on. First impressions are meh. LoL was definetelly much easier to understand from game 1.

HoN is not easy for beginners.
The community sucks.

Damned Registrations

The game mechanics don't help the community. I mentioned in the LoL thread it really encourages people to just leave because it only tracks leaving a match under very specific circumstances. Aside from that, it's nearly impossible to kick a genuine griefer if there's even 1 dick on the enemy team, same thing for remakes, and it's far far too easy to concede, so people do it all the time (OMG I died twice must quit before my precious stats get lower!) and refuse to play if you don't let them. On top of that, everyone seems to think they can judge a player's worth by their stats, usually on something pretty unimportant like K:D ratio or average gold farm. Apparently playing Scout all the time and sucking but managing a 3:2 kill to death ratio makes you better than playing him once every 10th game and getting a bloodbath and spending the other 9 games as glacius with 0 kills.

Parasite seems to be a strong counter pick kind of hero to me, like Vindi. Against certain heroes like Jeraziah or Martyr, he's amazing, but some teams just don't have any buffs worth stealing. I would imagine he gets countered pretty harshly by electrician or a nullfire against those teams too, since unlike Jeraziah or Martyr, with Parasite the buffs are always going to be on a melee hero with no blink aside from his ult, so if he jumps on someone and they purge him and walk away, he's kinda fucked. Purging a magic shield off of Flint doesn't exactly cripple him.

Greatness

Cipher
Just started playing HoN again after trying out LoL for a bit.

While LoL has some decent features, such as the new stat system, they seem to have cut out a lot of the small stuff that adds up to reward experienced/skilled players (such as rune control, lane control, creep pulling/stacking, animation canceling, proper courier and tp scroll usage, etc). Also, having to grind to try out all of the champions and rewarding players with extra stats from runes/masteries that are earned from grinding or paying $ and not from actual good play is rather stupid.

My ingame name is Jad (I can play with decent latency on US East or EU servers) if anyone wants to do some games. I'm not the greatest player in the world, especially after taking a break for a few months, but I did have around ~1850 psr when I used to play a lot.

BTW if anyone here has been thinking about getting HoN but haven't got around to it yet, they are doing some discount atm to get new accounts for 10$ instead of the usual 30$. http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=RC1FO2D7

Damned Registrations

Yeah, there are a number of things I like better in HoN. Some of them wouldn't be relevant in the long run, like having to buy heroes/runes or the lack of voice chat (I'm guessing anyone decent uses vent or something similar). But things like courier, the lack of skill required for juking, no gold loss on death and the generally weaker ultimates of the heroes in LoL makes the game feel much less intense.

The item they added in the latest patch is insane. They finally seem to have taken a serious look at promoting the pushing strategy, which should make for much earlier team fights and more interesting matches. A hero like keeper or wildsoul with a bulwark and an abyssal can practically outrace an entire 5 man team at destroying buildings. Still, heroes like behemoth, torturer and pyro all make pushing extremely difficult, just by virtue of being able to nuke all your minions in an instant. I'm not sure if they'll be able to push this style of play into the competitive scene. Pushing works great against idiots that don't even carry teleport stones or show up one at a time, and waste fortification. Not so much against teams that drop in in synch and pop all their ultimates before you've identified them. That said, the competitive scene isn't that impressive, and even in cash prize tournaments you see an awful lot of bad play regarding people not being coordinated or picking up terrible items. I'd love to see a truly excellent team that picked a lineup with excellent synergy in a team fight, rather than a smattering of heroes picked to fill a few roles and attempt to counter other heroes. A combination of torturer, vindicator and tempest for example could grab everyone in a 700 unit radius into a 6 second stun with torturer sitting on top raining death the whole time, with no feasible counter except to keep your entire team absurdly spread out. The synergy between the ultimates of voodoo jester and chronos is pretty much a certain kill on anyone you can get in the bubble. And they both have relatively short cooldowns. And again, a hero like torturer or flux magnifies the radius on that bubble immensely. I think the metagame is currently focused so much on trilanes and laning stuns/harass/ganks because it is fucking trivial to coordinate 3 people stunning the same target in a row, and a well farmed carry is worth more than 5 decently farmed players if your coordination isn't that great. A properly coordinated team abusing things like targetted invis and pushing abilities like defiler and keeper and torturer and pollywog should be able to push towers well before a carry has any sort of meaningful farm, while a tri lane is trying to defend a 5 man push with level 2-3 heroes pitted against ultimates.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dat Monkey King. Seems to be a fun hero to play. Also relevant to LoL. Which one has the cooler Monkey King and why? Let the butthurt between HoNfags and LoLfags begin while I play both and enjoy both Monkey Kings. :smug:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
HoN has a monkey king? I'll go look at the wiki.
The LoL monkey king is honestly kind of uninteresting. They should not really have bothered calling him a monkey king since his abilities don't really even relate to the book character. LoL in general is like that, though. They keep their heroes balanced by basically giving all new heroes the same skills other heroes have.

For anyone who does not play Dota, the reason both franchises are making a monkey king character is because Dota has an item called Monkey King Bar and that's really all the inspiration they need.

I actually was disappointed. I saw on the LoL news they were making a Monkey King hero, and then I found out he is just a generic melee DPS. I mean, you would think, the cool combat thing the monkey king could do was have his staff change size, and even in LoL's intro video they show him doing that, but then he has no skills that even reference that.

Padre

Liturgist
GR finals are live now, exDWI, now called Complexity got rolfstomped by MSI push strat in game one with slither and tempest pushing towers left and right and with the new item Bulwark those towers were melting.

Second game is live now and the lowest win % hero in the game, Parasite, got picked by MSI. I sooo hope he does well because his skillset is really unique and MSI has a good history of surprising picks.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
is that the same complexity as in SCII?
in that case they can eat my shit.
I don't know what it is, but like every north american e-sports team is so fucking annoying.

as for Parasite I think he's pretty strong even without the buff swap from ulti.

oh, and I haven't been able to play for several weeks now which is kind of sad because I was just getting good again. will probably start playing a bit in a week when I'm home in my apartment again.

Padre

Liturgist
Dunno about that SCII team, never heard of them before this match.

Also, there was some funny shit during the start of game one. Everybody picks their heroes, they go into the game and Jah suddenly dcs. Guess what ? He just got banned by a GM for griefing in a game some time before. S2 members were present during the match so they unbanned him for this bo3 final but god this was funny.

Will try to remember to add greatness to buddy list when I'm ingame.

We do have a codex channel, btw. Type /join Clan RPG Codex to hang out with the bros.

I could be mistaken but I think complexity fields teams in lots of games, I seem to recognize the name from my CS:S days and want to say they've also got a Quake team.

And Parasite has the worst winning percentage in the game at the moment... although he was recently overtaken in this regard by Revenant I think.

In unrelated news I have lost ~75 MMR. :lol: Bah. I'd link to a graph but S2 still haven't been able to turn the XML server back on apparently (it went down in the DDoS attacks and never came back up).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom