Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing Heroes of Newerth?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's going to be a total port. My guess is it will either be free or extremely cheap and just used as a vehicle to get more foot/eye traffic to Steam so they can sell more games in their storefront.

Archibald

Arcane
Padre said:
According to Valve Time it will be released in 2013 so I'm not really waiting for that.

And you are just a popamoler :M

Even if it comes next year i don`t really care, i never played dota so i can`t be bothered to play it just because it`ll have better graphics or some different heroes.

It's going to be a total port. My guess is it will either be free or extremely cheap and just used as a vehicle to get more foot/eye traffic to Steam so they can sell more games in their storefront.

I don`t know, new engine. 100 hero models, voices and shit. Doesn`t sound that it isn`t expensive to me.

Padre

Liturgist
S2 stated that it costs around 30k$ to make one hero. All the textures, code, voices etc. Dunno how much will it cost on Source but some prices never change.

Obviously they want to target die hard DotA fans who didn't switch to HoN so my guess is they won't make it pricey. Think about all those kids who pirated WC3 to play DotA and then think how much coin they wanna spend on something that is a 1:1 port just with better netcode and gfx.

Also they didn't mention reconnect option. Valve said sth about AI bots playing after you disconnect. Can't find the source though.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
HoN is ridiculously broken. Or is, for too long periods of time. They never hotfix game-braking issues like Blood Chalice, broken spines on Armadon or any other imbalance. They randomly port heroes from DotA and have no insight how the game should play. It's really like they have no idea what they're doing so it's no wonder they end up hiring people from the community.

And the community is a lame meme-infected newbie crowd.

I for one can't wait to see how DotA2 looks and runs. I hope it kills HoN because the leading hero defense should be a lot better than what HoN is.

Padre

Liturgist
Blood Chalice, broken spines on Armadon

Blood chalice wasn't nerfed was two weeks if I recall correctly because they wanted to gather more data from the usage. As for Armadon, yes it was a bug but a minor one. His spines were doing extra 150dmg over 5 casts. That's 15 seconds, I know it was much in the early game but really, Armadon after 30 minutes becomes nothing more than a creep with huge lifepool who everyone ignores.

they end up hiring people from the community.

As far as I know they hired Nigma as community manager and several people to work as GMs to resolve RAP tickets. Hardly an issue.

Warchamp7 on the other hand was making shitton of mods and got his job that way.

And the community is a lame meme-infected newbie crowd.

You mean, unlike here on the 'dex? ;)

I for one can't wait to see how DotA2 looks and runs. I hope it kills HoN because the leading hero defense should be a lot better than what HoN is.

You gotta take a break from this game it seems. To me and my friends it's still the best multiplayer game at this point. Sure I will check out dota 2 but since I never played the original, I don't really give a shit about not having some of the heroes in HoN since some of S2 creations are loads of fun.

Archibald

Arcane
HoN is ridiculously broken. Or is, for too long periods of time. They never hotfix game-braking issues like Blood Chalice, broken spines on Armadon or any other imbalance. They randomly port heroes from DotA and have no insight how the game should play. It's really like they have no idea what they're doing so it's no wonder they end up hiring people from the community.

In newest HoN patch mana battery will be nerfed. One angry kid created thread, in essence why mana battery gets nerfed but blood chalice isn`t. I liked the response from another member, i`ll just copy paste it here.

I find it interestig that Blood chalice is regarded as being OP because it was good on a lot of heroes but Power supply is regarded as fine even though it's a must-have on every single hero because it is so good (OP). Is it because power supply came from DotA? and everything in DotA is 'perfect'?

And Dota is shuch a perfect that latest patch had ~50 heroes and ~30 items rebalanced.

Of course i never played dota so maybe i don`t get something but numbers don`t lie.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Bleh, ever since last month I've been hella busy, I barely play anymore and when I do it's usually Dota with a few friends (who wouldn't buy HoN, since playing Dota on Garena is free). Lets try and set up a specific date to meet and play like in summer.

BEWARE though, since I won't accept 'no mics' as an excuse, everyone's gotta have one! (no matter how squeaky your voice is :P)

Archibald

Arcane
Necro posting for the win.

Anyway, anyone who still plays regulary cares to give out some contact details so that we could set up some no ab or at least with locks games? I understand that playing with a fag like me is not most enjoyable thing you can do with your time but cmon :)

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'll try and see if I can make it in aprox. ~4 hours. If not, tomorrow at about the same time.

Padre

Liturgist
nickname in game is shynshyl

I don't really have time to play nowadays. Ever since started working I have been so fucking tired I just do some stuff around the house and go to sleep early. Getting up at 5am is not a nice thing :/

Wulfstand

Prophet
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's gonna happen tonight :( Loads of shit to do, i've been helluva tired both physically and emotionally this past month.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Is it still infested with raging 13year old kids?
Is it still a game that consist entirely of feeding an agility hero to carry your team in the endgame?
Are mages become more or less entirely useless lategame due to crappy scaling?
Does the game still take itself all too seriously?
Do they hotfix game-breaking issues, or do you still have to wait 4-5 weeks for their screwups to get patched?

Inquiring minds wish to know before they spend a single dime on it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They've actually made some good improvements to making mage heroes a lot more relevant in the late game. There's an item that reduces enemy spell resistance passively, and thanks to that, heroes like thunderbringer can actually match a farmed carry dps wise. They also changed the system for granting assist gold, so characters who don't constantly land the killing blow aren't so terribly underfarmed any more, and it is actually profitable to go hero murdering instead of farming creeps. Still a lot of stuff they should change but probably never will because of the 'change is bad' demographic, like creep stacking, various item balance issues (Shrunken head is my personal favourite) and basic game mechanics that are holdovers from WC3 engine, like movespeed caps and the way magic armor works completely differently than normal armor.

They also seem to be hotfixing stuff pretty frequently. I often see a patch the day after a major patch with some little fix.

Game is still filled with retards of course, like the rest of the internet. I really ought to find a group to play with regularly so I don't have to deal with all the random assholes.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So uh, I just bought this. Anyone want to play a noobfriendly game, hit me up on lockkaliber in game.

Padre

Liturgist
Lockkaliber said:
So uh, I just bought this. Anyone want to play a noobfriendly game, hit me up on lockkaliber in game.

Remember not to use matchmaking for now. Concentrate on no stats games and learn the game slowly. Read a shitton of guides on laning, general play and heroes. EDIT : my nick is shynshyl ingame. You can add me and we can play someday.

Is it still infested with raging 13year old kids?

Actually I have always found HoN's community to be a bit older than LoLs so don't know where are you going with this.

Is it still a game that consist entirely of feeding an agility hero to carry your team in the endgame?

S2 tries to change this dota rice metagame into a ganking metagame. I personally hate using agi carries so I just stick to INT nukers and win the game before carry can get his first big item.

Are mages become more or less entirely useless lategame due to crappy scaling?

This is the most stupid thing you ever wrote mate. Games are won by stuns and general CC. And guess who has them?

Does the game still take itself all too seriously?

By game you mean community? If yes, then yes.

Do they hotfix game-breaking issues, or do you still have to wait 4-5 weeks for their screwups to get patched?

Last few bugs that needed hotfix were taken care of in a matter of 2-3 hours.

Still a lot of stuff they should change but probably never will because of the 'change is bad' demographic, like creep stacking, various item balance issues (Shrunken head is my personal favourite) and basic game mechanics that are holdovers from WC3 engine, like movespeed caps and the way magic armor works completely differently than normal armor.

What do you have against SH, creep stacking etc? Especially what do you mean by saying magic armour works differently than normal armour?

Also, speed cap is there for a reason. The whole game was balanced around 522 max movespeed so by changing that you would just break some heroes beyong imagination.

I usually play alone or with Chlubion and doing quite decent. Nothing to write home about but keeping above 1700 rating is quite good and there are less and less stomps as I climb higher.

Occ deserves a mention too. Good all around stats :salute:

Damned Registrations

Obviously you wouldn't completely remove the speed cap and just give random heroes infinite movespeed. But it's stupid that there can't be heroes moving faster than 522. Rampage is a perfect example; his charge should definitely break the movespeed cap. This could apply to a number of other melee heroes and future heroes as well. The only hero I can imagine moving too fast that would be broken is Flint, due to his ability to outrange people. Everyone else has to get in range of slows and stuns to fight anyways, and only a tiny number of heroes can even break 522 speed without resorting to some retardedly weak build like tele boots, firebrand, marchers (With the tele boots, yes) and euls. The only reliably fast hero I know of is pest, and he'd hardly be broken going at 560 instead of 520, especially if he was missing blink and tank gear. Hell, you could give a hero 600 movespeed to start and he still wouldn't be broken (Or even very useful) if that's all he had. Having an arbitrary hard cap is just stupid.

Creep stacking is just a weird bug that got left in because certain heroes would be useless without it, but it's an enormous part of the ricing game. It basically allows one hero to spend the game farming all 3 lanes and the entire forest without missing spawns if done properly. Obviously you can try to interfere with this and nobody ever does it perfectly, but the potential there is just stupifying. It'd be like allowing gold or item transfers between heroes. It's why everyone does trilanes at the top end now. In the span of 20 seconds a hero can stack 3 camps, effectively giving those 3 camps to the carry, around ~300 extra gold and maybe 500 xp. And this can be done dozens of times a game, while the ward bitch is out throwing up wards or whatever.

Shrunken head is just an example of an item that is purchased in pretty much every game and dilutes the variety of play. Same with wards and boots, but wards are at least limited in purchasable number, like puzzlebox (And Kuldra, among a lot of unofficial rules). People always rage at the thought of making boots more expensive (And it would indeed change a lot of shit) but the game would be much more interesting if boots weren't a given on every hero in the game. You could have a hero without boots but relies on blink and allies to be in the right position, and makes use of the extra damage output the slot and saved gold afford him. More possibilities = more interesting and complex game = better than playing tic-tac-toe. It's stupid to balance all the damage causing items so they all see some play, but just allow shrunken head to be the be all end all of magic defense for a carry. On the other end of the spectrum we have items like the codex and staff of the master on most heroes, which only complete morons buy thinking it's the best use of their gold.

Magic armor doesn't stack from items, even though there's no real reason this should be the case. Someone with 4 mystic vestments isn't unstoppable and overpowered. But it works like this because WC3 did and change is bad. Someday someone will make a game on this template without using dota as a crutch to balance around, and not fuck it up terribly like demigod did. And it will be glorious. Not going to happen from HoN though.

Padre

Liturgist
While I fully agree that some of the mechanics are just WC3 bugs/engine limitations I like to think that the whole game has been balanced around them for years. Changing some would alter the balance so much it would take months to properly balance things again and nobody is going to do that because it is too much hassle.

Triple stacking is only possible on the legion side and is quite difficult. Remember that HoN limited the amount of stacks to three to prevent ricing and they are considering limiting it to two now which I would not cry about tbh.

As a hardcore support player I like stacking camps so that I can see their carry cry and rage when our MM or scout is so fed 25 minutes into the game they just concede.

You mention Pest as 'fast' hero but his flight is used mainly to chase AFTER a teamfight rather to use it during one. He needs his PK either way. I always considered Warbeast to be the ultimate chaser. It sucks that he's a horrible hero and only viable in 1200 pubstomps.

Also most melee damage dealers have ways to get in range with a ranged hero, be it blink, pounce, stalk etc.

As for Shrunken Head. Heh. Few posts earlier Ulminati claimed that 'casters' are useless end game. But somehow many ppl need Shrunken because those 'useless' casters would otherwise rip them a new one in a matter of 2 seconds.

I like the item and I like that it gets weaker as the game goes on. There was a thread at the Balance forums claiming that it was too powerful and I think if they changed/nerfed its duration a bit it would not hurt the game at all. Cost is not an issue because ricers will always get it no matter what.

Magic armour is tricky because it can sometimes render some heroes almost useless. Second incarnation of Nome's Wisdom had magic armour aura but it was ditched and replaced with +armour and flat +1 mana regen. And I would really like something along the lines of Daemonic Breastplate but with magic armour instead of normal one.

Demigod was an abomination and as such, went down so fast and hard it wasn't even funny to witness. I would gladly try another game from this genre but we don't have much options. And I don't believe Valve will pull off DotA2 this year. It won't be any different from HoN too.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I've played a couple of games. It's a lot like DotA. And there's always at least one asshole that expects everyone in a noob-labeled game to be good players that understand everything. Seriously, calling a completely new player a "retard" for not knowing what last hitting/denying is is pretty stupid. Fucking userbase from hell.

Damned Registrations

Those people generally aren't in noob games because they're new, they're there because they suck and can't play with other people that know the game at all. There's still a huge gulf in skill between someone who knows what last hitting and warding is, and someone who knows how to hold a lane in one spot indefinitely and get every single last hit and deny, and knows 8 different ward spots that cover the rune and multiple ramps. And even if you know those things, yu'll still be a terrible useless player if you farm when you shouldn't, chase when you shouldn't, and buy all the wrong items for your situation.

Padre

Liturgist
I would recommend you create games, not join them and if you see anyone above 1,5kd ratio, just kick. Games may take longer to fill up but it will at least prevent mega stomps. Also find nigma's tutorials on youtube, they explain a lot.

And about the community. I have grown to tolerate it. It sure fits me better than some carebear my little pony communities where everybody goes apeshit when you say fuck or nigger. If someone is really annoying just mute him, ignore him. You can even ignore whole chat but I would not recommend it since you won't know what's the plan, if there is any.

Archibald

Arcane
And about the community. I have grown to tolerate it. It sure fits me better than some carebear my little pony communities where everybody goes apeshit when you say fuck or nigger. If someone is really annoying just mute him, ignore him.

And i have grown to love it, there is nothing like hearing your teammate say "i hope you bitches die in real life too".

Those people generally aren't in noob games because they're new, they're there because they suck and can't play with other people that know the game at all.

Or they are stat padding.

Also, i think that movement spead cap should be a bit higher, someone like Rampage/Warbeast/Legio could definetely benefit from it while other heroes don`t really have a potential to break 522 as it is anyway.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Tremble is a fucking beast. Always loved Broodmother so no complaining from me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom