Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Erzherzog

Magister
Did they ever buff Rumble? They were talking about it a couple months ago.

EDIT: Holy shit I'm in love with Ryze right now. I remember way back when I played him I was trash. Was doing ok as him but then switched from 9/21/0 to 0/9/21 masteries and I've just been shitting on every lane opponent.

I mean it's Silver so I know that these opponents are crap like me but just a little movespeed and they let me Q and run away every time. Dumped on as Yorick top, just had a game where team select was a massive clusterfuck, we ended up with Jarvan top, Eve jungle, Ryze mid, and Cait/Kayle bot with a huge amount of swearing at select.

I was mad lately because low silver has way too much disparity in skill. So many people get placed here when they're clearly bronze and got lucky in placement matches so now I have to absolutely dominate lane to win. My Lissandra is amazing in teamfights but I never win lane hard enough to make up if another lane feeds. Ryze on the other hand is too tanky for glasscannon tops and can go toe to toe with fighters but has the benefit of ranged harass. Plus Frozen Heart is perfect for him as a top laner. Have the option of damage Ryze with a tear if you get way ahead after you build a RoA. God I haven't had this much fun in ages. Usually I pick champions that are good at teamfighting, and that's what Ryze is supposed to be. (That ult <3) but I'm just laning so well with him now. Especially after I shifted to 0/9/21.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
That C9 game, dear God. A shame C9 lost, but they did deserve it.

I love how games are not decided in the first 10 minutes anymore. Worlds is going to be amazing to watch. :bounce:

Holy shit playing ADC is such a waste of time, best decisionmaking ever. "If I shoot this guy, he'll blink to me and kill me, if I shoot this guy he'll dash CC lock me, if I shoot this guy it doesn't do anything and meanwhile one of those others is gonna blink to me, if I shoot this guy it also doesn't do anything and he has 500 movement speed, if I shoot this guy... wait he's the adc I can't shoot that guy at all".

bloodlover

Arcane
That C9 game, dear God. A shame C9 lost, but they did deserve it.

I love how games are not decided in the first 10 minutes anymore. Worlds is going to be amazing to watch. :bounce:

Unless Koreans come and shit all over NA + EU. Seeing how NA teams from the lower bracket can give headaches to top teams and how some EU teams that were top are mediocre at best now (Gambit?), Koreans will not have a hard time. Wasn't IEM easily won by KTB and they are not even (arguably) the top Korean team? And never count out the Chinese teams. So yeah...

I like how we don't have 2 vs 1's anymore and the constant bruiser top lane matches though.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Panth is good vs Jax cause he always win early trades with the shield abuse and the spear. Malphite is ok too as long youre not going full tank, it should hurt when you hit so he doesnt think its free damage jumping on you. I run them with flat mana regen seals so you get more combos and harrass in the lane.

Come to think of it, I need to change several rune pages with hybrid pen marks instead of flat damage. Those things should work p good on Malph, WW and Maokai.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I cannot into laning. Seriously, I lose lane far more often than not when I pick top, mid or adc. I tried out Vladimir because of the cool new skin, and while I know his laning experience is supposed to be bad, I'm now finally convinced I simply don't like to do stuff like CS and trade in lane. CSing in particular is the most boring thing ever, which I guess is why when I was forced to lane I liked to pick darius, who's a really all in champion.

On the other hand, Sejuani is fun again with the new jungle item. Held a turret at late game against 3 people in a match yesterday, was pretty funny.

Erzherzog

Magister
You might find some support mages fun then. No focus on CSing, all focus on perfect harass.

Karma is actually a ton of fun as support, low cost/low CD Q's mean if you are on your game you can almost completely deny farm. Has a ranked match where Caitlyn had like 12 CS at 6 minutes, me and Sivir just pounded her every time she came and Sivir baited Thresh hooks like a bawse.

Or pick Morgana and win thanks to having an easy matchup no matter what. Especially with sustain/passive supports being so weak right now.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
You might find some support mages fun then. No focus on CSing, all focus on perfect harass.

Karma is actually a ton of fun as support, low cost/low CD Q's mean if you are on your game you can almost completely deny farm. Has a ranked match where Caitlyn had like 12 CS at 6 minutes, me and Sivir just pounded her every time she came and Sivir baited Thresh hooks like a bawse.

Or pick Morgana and win thanks to having an easy matchup no matter what. Especially with sustain/passive supports being so weak right now.

Yeah, that's why I didn't mention supports, it's the other role I'm used to playing whenever I end up as last pick. Karma is great fun, and so is Thresh; the latter I've played extensively but am now quite rusty on. I'm looking forward to trying out Braum and Ao Shin (he's been hinted to be a support) once he's released. Aside from the occasional Dunkmaster top lane, I think I'll just steer clear of solo lanes/adc's from now on.

Don't be fooled by Vlad's apparently easy kit though, for some indescribable and inexplicable reason he's incredibly harder to use than you'd guess by looking at his skills or some videos. I remember it took me many matches of persistence until I started doing well with him.

He also sucks donkey balls against anyone that has a reliable gap closer. Kong, Xin, Jax and Tryndamere will eat you alive. I still believe Vlad vs Trynda is one of the worst matches you can possibly have in this game, it's just a nightmare.

Yeah, he felt hard to use. You have to land your ult well in teamfights, and is Q and E have such short range that when you're able to cast them you're already getting focused down. Also, almost nonexistent CC and no gap closers, he's definitely a weird champion for me.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Vlad has so many bad match-ups both top and mid that he's a very risky pick. Very strong late if he does decent in lane, especially in comps with lots of AoE damage.

Stupid question, most likely, but how do you peeps think AD bruiser Malphite would work? Pretty standard build, but with a Hydra and Gauntlet plus AD runes and masteries (9/21). Start with Q for harass and slow, but max W first. Just a retarded idea I had. Ult + Hydra active + IBG proc should take enemy MVP out of the fight and you still have enough damage and tankiness to not be ignored. Hardly best idea ever, but could be fun to try sometime.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
You lose alot if you go only AD Malphite. Only offensive items you need are Triforce or Ice Gauntlet. When I lane top I usually pick up Sheen as a second item after Dorans.
He already got AoE autoattacks as W passive and you boost his Sheen proc with it(+20% damage at 1st level I think).
With Sheen you can pretty much instagib anyone at 6. And noone wants to trade with you cause you rip half of their healthbar in one combo. After Sheen just go regular tanky annoying asshole build with Sunfire, Randuins, Visage, Mercs and finish with the bubble. Or complete Triforce first if you have an easy lane. Ive played a fuckload of Malphite so I should know the bestest/most effective build, I think. :)
Simple answer: No. Ad Malph is just gimping the champ.

I remember long time ago Malphite had ult similar to what Braums does now, knocks everyone up in a straight line and ends up at the end. But they removed it cause they thought it was OP. :(

Fuck it, uninstalled LoL today. Been playing it on and off for 3-4 years ever since it came out of beta, but after a month or so, always pisses me off to the point of uninstalling. Maybe I just have bad luck, or maybe their matchmaking is fucked up, but I swear, it is impossible for me to move up. Afks, dcs, trolls, feeders, you name it, always on my team. It's supposed to balance out over time, but it just never does for me. For every afker on the other team, I get 2 or 3. Then, more recently, there is the wonderful trend on my teams where everyone decides that we don't need no stinking tanks/bruisers. Every game I have the pleasure of having a jungler Yi/Trynd/Shaco or top Wukong/Pantheon who just build straight AD. I play a lot of mages mid, and with a halfway decent frontline, I can usually carry (at least at shitty levels), but when your got your Yis/Trynds/AD Panths/Wu's running from the fight faster than me and the ADC, it's impossible to do anything.

The last straw today was a game where I played Volibear jungle, and was playing out of my mind (and im not even a good jungler). Was something like 5/0/2 after 10 minutes, then our ADC disconnects. While we wait for him, i go to gank top, and our top disconnects. Neither of them come back, we lose, I get demoted. :rage:

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My problems with leavers/afk have decreased greatly since I moved from eune to euw. Maybe a coincidence but I'm not complaining.

Renegen

Arcane
Yi/Trynd/Shaco/Wukong/Pantheon should build straight AD. In fact I rememer facing a top Wukong that built Hydra into Last Whisper and it was the most broken shit ever, he had 20 straight wins on him.

I don't know what league you play in, it's probably different at higher levels, but in bronze/silver, in my experience, if one team just isn't hugely better than the other, then whoever is significantly tankier usually wins. The problem is that if you have a Yi jungler, and a top Panth who builds straight AD (or Wukong), they can't initiate fights since they will be melted instantly. So the other team with its Malphites and Warwicks and so on controls the fights. At bronze/silver, those AD yis and wukongs are also usually not good enough to run in the back and kill off the backline. So they just run around, making it hard for the carries to do anything, and then when the fight eventually starts, everyone gets melted. Now if we had a tanky/bruiser frontline, then the carries can be safe behind them and dole out real damage.

Renegen

Arcane
Are you sure you're using your champions to their fullest potential? If you play mid for example you can prevent teamfights with your waveclear, or roam early so that others win, or if you play assassins you can kill their carries and keep them underfed. Having the better late game is always a big deal in soloque, but you can play around that.

Are you sure you're using your champions to their fullest potential? If you play mid for example you can prevent teamfights with your waveclear, or roam early so that others win, or if you play assassins you can kill their carries and keep them underfed. Having the better late game is always a big deal in soloque, but you can play around that.

I am 100% sure I am NOT using my champs to their fullest potential, nor is that a realistic goal for me. I will never be a platinum/diamond level player, and I am in general not that serious about LoL. I've never watched any streams, read any guides or anything like that, just been playing it on and off since it came out. But over the years, I have gotten a whole lot better just from playing, to the point where I usually outplay the other mid in laning and often can put up some real nice stats. But that's not the same as just single handedly carrying the team and controlling the game every time. I've seen plat/diamond smurfs do that in my games, and I'll never be that good. So yeah, I kinda need my team to actually play their roles, and having a top and jungle that can actually run into the enemy team and initiate favorably is a big deal.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

I am 100% sure I am NOT using my champs to their fullest potential, nor is that a realistic goal for me. I will never be a platinum/diamond level player, and I am in general not that serious about LoL. I've never watched any streams, read any guides or anything like that, just been playing it on and off since it came out. But over the years, I have gotten a whole lot better just from playing, to the point where I usually outplay the other mid in laning and often can put up some real nice stats. But that's not the same as just single handedly carrying the team and controlling the game every time. I've seen plat/diamond smurfs do that in my games, and I'll never be that good. So yeah, I kinda need my team to actually play their roles, and having a top and jungle that can actually run into the enemy team and initiate favorably is a big deal.

Although there's certain amount of luck, in longterm everyone is in the league they deserve to be in. Bronze/silver are like 75% of players. Those leagues are for
filtering out those who derp or are only learning the basics. If you just play (without reading guides, trying to actively improve) then at best you wont feed and will win a reasonably weaker opponent. Gold games are already much better and one doesn't need to play as plat/diamond player to get there.

You aren't doing anything to improve so don't complain about the team when you aren't the solution either. I used to have similar mentality but hey, it's a competetive game, what do you expect?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
You can go a long way with map awereness and a decent sense of trades. Vision domination is nr 1 factor that people win games.

Although there's certain amount of luck, in longterm everyone is in the league they deserve to be in. Bronze/silver are like 75% of players. Those leagues are for
filtering out those who derp or are only learning the basics. If you just play (without reading guides, trying to actively improve) then at best you wont feed and will win a reasonably weaker opponent. Gold games are already much better and one doesn't need to play as plat/diamond player to get there.

You aren't doing anything to improve so don't complain about the team when you aren't the solution either. I used to have similar mentality but hey, it's a competetive game, what do you expect?

Well, I don't expect to be in the elite tiers (plat/diamond), but I have played with a lot of players who are now in gold, and many of them liked how I played enough that they invited me to their buddy list. I would put my current skill level at high silver/low gold. Instead I am currently in bronze (was silver at the start of this season, before like a 10 game losing streak mostly due to AFKs and trolls). It just seems to me like bronze includes 2 completely different types of players, people who have no idea how to play at all, and people who are much better but just for whatever reason cant seem to climb out. Not just talking about myself, even when I play against other bronzies, plenty of them are actually quite good in basic mechanics (not counting the smurfs), while many others havent the slightest idea of what they are doing.

You can go a long way with map awereness and a decent sense of trades. Vision domination is nr 1 factor that people win games.

Yeah, that's something I've gotten a lot better at over time. These days, when I play, my eyes are practically glued to the minimap.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I just had the most fucking epic match ever. Second placement game, things start to seem funny when our Jinx runs top lane before minions spawn. We ask her what's up and she replies in all caps that she's on the phone. She finally goes bot lane and stands in lane doing pretty much nothing other than ocasionally auto'ing a minion - buys no items, and when we mention that she buys as runaan in response, and never says anything in chat.

So I'm thinking, fuck me, second placement and I get a massive troll. But in the mean time I'm ganking all lanes, taking objectives, every single dragon that spawns, and getting kills left and right as Sejuani - I have to say, I had never experienced being this fed in a game, ever. Ended up winning at 13/0/18, tanking their entire team while melting them with liandry's and sunfire cape. Most fun I've ever had playing this.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, it's fun to win games like that. My one and only troll pick (team needed adc, I took volly top with stupid summoner abilities) resulted in doing something like 15/2/10 and winning (enemy team didn't have afks).

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
And onwards we go! Soon(tm) is progressing with lots of rage and derpy games. 4th attempt at plat2 and I got through.

2lzVr7e.jpg

Derpy game. Had that Xerath supp in my last game when I was jungling Malph and we won. Gotta say its goddamn hard to lane against him.

Is it me or Lucian is shit right now. Any team Lucian plays for loses. I banned him in my last game cause I was afraid someone would pick him from my team.

Ahh what could be nicer than a nice game of FUCK YOU JAX YOUR RETARD AUTOWIN ISN'T IN THIS LANE I'M DARIUS

FUCK YOU TOO YASSOU YOUR LAME SHIT DOESN'T IMPRESS ME THIS IS WHAT WE CALL A REAL ULT

We also had a good Viktor, what are the odds.

Oh yeah - fucking Alistar buffs! His level 6 all-in is now broken.

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
After the first three placements, which were complete one-sided stomps for my team, I'm pretty sure Riot is just trying to test my will to keep on playing, throwing me on teams with braindead teammates and leavers. Seriously, I know some people are new at playing and stuff, but by the time you get to lvl 30 you've played this a shit a ton of times already. Some people make mistakes that make me question how they have the capacity to breathe, and it's always going up against other people's pings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom